• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I have taken him in?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For about a week, I had a baby curve bill thrasher living in my front yard. He played all day in a puddle created by the water I leave dripping for the wild birds. He saw me come and go, and since my front door is all glass and near the water, we could see each other from a few feet away. I saw his parents come and feed him a few times. I did not want to interfere, although he was not even completely feathered yet.

Last week, I had to run into work. I raced outside to leave some food for the wild birds. The baby was running around in front of my feet trying to get out of the way, but I did not hurt him or touch him. His parents weren't around that I could see.

Now he is gone! After a week of watching out for him, I dont see him or his parents. They've disappeared! His parents (assuming its the same pair) are the most assertive wild birds of the bunch I feed. They will come close to me to get food, and one even got in the house once.

Is there a chance the little guy has moved with his parents somewhere else? It is 110 plus degrees here, but no thrashers have come to the water bowl.

He was so adorable. Should I have taken him to the wild bird rescue???

IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2077.JPG IMG_2081.JPG

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's possible he went with mom and dad. It's also possible that another animal got to him. Hard to say if you should have taken him in but if he was running around a lot he may have been OK. I saw a baby sparrow jumping around and flapping on the roadway to where I live. Another neighbor told me that he was able to lift off about a foot from the ground. I was tempted to take him in but just chased him off the roadway because it appeared that he was starting to fledge although he was not completely feathered yet. Later on that day I went to check in the same area and he was gone. I assume that he was OK and went off somewhere with mom and/or dad.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That fledgling looks like he/should be left alone. You did the right thing. Our local wildlife center goes on a big social media campaign each spring reminding people of this.

Yes, they are vulnerable at that stage of development, but it's normal.

It's important for us to leave nature alone when there is no reason for intervention, instead of letting our "good intentions" interfere.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hopefully they all moved off once he could fly.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think he didnt make it. He just didnt look developed enough to fly. I saw a curve billed thrasher come back yesterday to feed but there was no baby with it. :(. There are snakes, coyotes, owls, hawks, and a bobcat that I see frequently in my yard.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry but perhaps the baby is safe and sound somewhere else.