• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I give my Jenday away?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Felt pure guilt from the mere thought of it, but I got an offer and I stated doubting myself.
:think1: Sorry but I am confused here. You came on asking for help and advice but stated you got an offer?
I get offers for Frankie constantly but would NEVER consider it. He is my BABY and he is PRICELESS.

My apologies if I read this wrong but it doesn't sound like you are interested enough to take care of your bird and would rather just flip it.
I hope I misread that!
And as @Lady Jane stated, if you want our help many people have experience with training here.
Good luck :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:think1: Sorry but I am confused here. You came on asking for help and advice but stated you got an offer?
I get offers for Frankie constantly but would NEVER consider it. He is my BABY and he is PRICELESS.

My apologies if I read this wrong but it doesn't sound like you are interested enough to take care of your bird and would rather just flip it.
If the OP is not interested, perhaps the next home would find that the bird is their priceless baby.

I don’t recall if anyone mentioned reading to your bird. One way to help them relax around you is to let them be in the cage, or if you have a perch on the outside let the bird come out and either read aloud, talk, sing to your bird. Don’t look directly at him (that is a predator thing). Just read or look in some direction and be very relaxed. Do this every day - you will see a difference.

MixieMoxie

Meeting neighbors
Loki hated me for a year for no apparent reason. Just one day he decided I sucked and I hand reared the little stinker. He loved my 15 yo son period.

I was hurt. But knew that it was a conure/parrot thing. I started positive reinforcement training with him in small steps. It took a long time but he has began to trust me again.

This past week Loki's chosen human went on vacation this past week with my husband and other son. I stayed home with the animals. I was worried it would go badly with Loki. But it went splendidly. I handled him just fine. He was actually very sweet and easy to handle.

I am sure when his human is home he will go back to his naughty self. But we still love him.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Jendays like to fight. Conures, in general, seem moody and aggressive. They regularly break toys in battles with them. Because they have long memories, Turok may just now be reacting to something before you even got him!

Conures prefer a seeded mix with about 30% pellets to pelleted diet with 30% seeds. You MUST provide fresh fruit and orange veggies daily! Fresh water several times daily is a MUST as alot of the fresh stuff will end up there. Jendays also need a regular source of vit D thus the pellets.

Best wishes!:fairy:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Don’t look directly at him (that is a predator thing). Just read or look in some direction and be very relaxed. Do this every day - you will see a difference.
Try looking at the tip of his tail. That way you're addressing him without looking into his eyes. It's more important for Turok to learn your voice than his name. Reading, try the newspaper, makes you talk in a normal voice without looking at him.

Stevelarrykaye

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
STEVEN LARRY KAYE
My stepson who is just eleven can't stop. Crying and I can't afford petCo my phone no. Will be glad to give u reasonable value can't afford petCo where mine came from

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
As others have said time, time, and more time with a whole lot of patience thrown in there. Our Aries was a pet store bird too and it took me a long while to earn her trust.

I would eat next to her cage every night for dinner and just talk to her. I started at first to just rest my hand on the cage not touching her in any way just sitting my hand there. From there I started to just move things in the cage not ever touching her just the things in the cage.

When we were ready to try to let her out we just left the cage door open so she could explore at her will. She was clipped when we got her but she could flutter around and we always used a perch in the beginning to move her around because we couldn't get our hands near her, so try that a perch instead of hands for sure.

We found a favorite treat and started using that to get her to take things from our hands and fingers. After she would take treats from us we started to work on stepping up. I used my fist or wrist for training instead of my fingers as fingers were a no go for a very long time. Also a wrist or fist is much harder to bite down on. She loved nutirberries it was her favorite thing to eat so if you can find a treat that your Conure loves it will really help.

Molting helped for us also with both of our Conures oddly enough. The first time Aries really bonded with us was during molting. She was so itchy she ran right into my lap because she needed help with pins. This was after several months of working with her though. Jenks was very similar with the molting, when we got him he had a head full of pins that needed help but he has been much more friendly/outgoing to start out.

A good diet can really help things also. Just go slow and use other tools to help save your hands. Target training helps a great deal and I am starting Jenks on that now just for fun since he is an acrobat.

Don't give up on your little one. Read posts on this forum as much as possible, this place saved me a lot of time and frustration when I was working with Aries.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
My GCC act like big birds in little birds bodies, yes I get days where I just want to leave and walk along a beach barefoot and never have to deal with anyone again.

Yes they can be moody, nippy, loud and stubborn.

But they are forgiving, funny, silly, joyful, loving, empathetic, sympathetic, passionate, caring, resourceful and so much more!!!

They give me unconditional love every day (and a mess to clean but that Hoover is getting its money worth), if they're being nippy I offer baths, or toy making, or a good training session.

keeping them mentally stimulated is important, make a platter of bird safe food with some foraging opportunities and watch a movie, make some toys, rearrange the cage, go outside and have a picnic, have a three word conversation for 15 mins (literally (peanut:) hello cookie. (Me:) hi. (Peanut:) hello cookie. And so forth).

Give them their own space out the cage. Mine have an atom, a swing, boing and three hooped rope and a Java tree (all have toys) I just need to set up their cargo net and large three hooped rope.

Time is very valuable to birds, give them yours and they love you for it.

Diet, exercise, sleep and mental simulation are important and key for a happy bird.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
A good diet can really help things also. Just go slow and use other tools to help save your hands. Target training helps a great deal and I am starting Jenks on that now just for fun since he is an acrobat.
One thing that helpful to me was using a pencil without an eraser. Leave the metal one to stop chewing. Don't ever use a pen or you'll just end up with an inky bird!

Keep in mind, conures are tricksters not talkers. Clicker training works well because only requested good behavior gets rewarded. Go to a dollar store and buy click-button pens.

What helped with the loud screeching was saying FRIENDLY VOICE over and over when they were quiet and giving them a treat. Usually, the loud screeching means, "I want something." Instead of rewarding screeching with attention, reward quietness.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Give them their own space out the cage. Mine have an atom, a swing, boing and three hooped rope and a Java tree (all have toys) I just need to set up their cargo net and large three hooped rope.
I use branches on the outside of the daycage. I hang toys and attach beads they can be turned but not removed.

Reactions: Jas

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yes they can be moody, nippy, loud and stubborn.

But they are forgiving, funny, silly, joyful, loving, empathetic, sympathetic, passionate, caring, resourceful and so much more!!!
@Jas knows why I fell in love with conures!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
One thing that helpful to me was using a pencil without an eraser. Leave the metal one to stop chewing. Don't ever use a pen or you'll just end up with an inky bird!

Keep in mind, conures are tricksters not talkers. Clicker training works well because only requested good behavior gets rewarded. Go to a dollar store and buy click-button pens.

What helped with the loud screeching was saying FRIENDLY VOICE over and over when they were quiet and giving them a treat. Usually, the loud screeching means, "I want something." Instead of rewarding screeching with attention, reward quietness.
I am using chop sticks and the clicker we use for our German Shepard. I don't have an issue with screaming with Jenks he is a pretty quiet one except for the talking or if he sees other birds outside he calls to them. He loves to talk, sing, and whistle, he is a re-home so we can't make out much of what he says yet. He has been copying "pretty bird" from me a lot, that one I can make out because I say it and he repeats lol. I am just doing target training for tricks and different stimulation really, he already has step up down and other than a bit of food aggression is a very well behaved bird.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I use branches on the outside of the daycage. I hang toys and attach beads they can be turned but not removed.
Oh how I wish they'd play with beads!!!!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My stepson who is just eleven can't stop. Crying and I can't afford petCo my phone no. Will be glad to give u reasonable value can't afford petCo where mine came from
:sadhug2::sorrow::sorrow:

So sorry for you & your sons loss. Hope you find another that needs a home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds are not for everyone & sometimes its best for both parties if that is realized sooner than later so that the bird can find a home where they be themselves.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It can take months for a bird to unpack and feel like they've moved in. Each bird is different, but sow and steady, with consistency, and a ton of patience is what it takes to win them over.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Stevelarrykaye I am truly sorry you lost your baby bird. Our member @webchirp may be able to guide you as she does many GCC rescues.

Are you still looking for a Jenday?

Last edited:

Stevelarrykaye

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
STEVEN LARRY KAYE
U people won't believe this story and it is totally true. I received an email. from a, gentleman saying he saw my ad for a Male Yong Jenday and that he was moving to the Netherlands and offered me his Jenday. The only catch was that I arrange to. pay shipping and the cost of the cage plus two.hundred dollars. Three different times he told me he did not receive the funds, yet both Discover and pay pal verified that his lady associate received the funds. In any event he cancelled the flight and I lost alot of money. I know pay pal. Will cancel the sale yet I am totally depressed about what happened!