• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get an African Grey?

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
I've never had a bird before, but I've been doing a ton of research to find the perfect one. I thought I had decided on a sun conure, but recently I've been reading a lot about greys and watching videos of all different kinds of birds, and I've become somewhat fascinated by the African Grey.

I've sort of been thinking of them as a larger bird and not really appropriate for a novice like myself, but I've also been thinking that since I really only want to have one bird, it's very important for me to choose the right one at the beginning. I'd probably also be looking to adopt a rehome rather than a baby.

Some pros and cons that come to the top of my head:
Pros:
  • Very intelligent, would be fun to play with/train/talk to
  • Fascinating personalities
  • Long lifespan, would be a great companion
Cons:
  • Large size. Too much for someone with no experience?
  • Probably more expensive than other birds in the long run
  • Maybe too smart, it seems that they're less obedient and docile than some
I'm sure there are many other things I'm not considering/don't know about, so if any of them are important I'd love to hear about it. Thank you all for your input!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
There is something enchanting about greys, isn't there?
I don'the have a grey (yet! Haha), but I think you have a good mindset with this. There is no such thing as a starter bird!!! Each species has different needs to be best taken care of, and so it is good for you to be doing all this research. There is a YouTube channel called wingsnpaws, and I am pretty sure he adopted his african grey as his first bird. But as you'play see, he put in a LOT of time, reflection and effort into figuring out how to give his grey the best life possible BEFORE getting his grey!
I suggest that you volunteer at a rescue for a while. It is one thing to say to your self 'Oh, sure, I don't mind spending x amount of time cleaning after my bird' and it is very much a different thing to actually DO the cleaning! This is just one example. Volunteering would help you get that experience and also probably help you learn how to deal with the cons you mentioned above.
Additionally, since you said you want to adopt, volunteering could be a great way to find your future african grey. As a volunteer, you can take your time getting to know all the birds there.
Also, rescues need volunteers! It is a great way to give back in itself.
I hope this helps!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
African Grey birds are not that large. Yes they can be expensive but there is a reason for that. They are terrific birds in every respect. Too smart? I really do not use the word obedient to describe any bird. They are and always will retain their "wild side". I bird that is molded to behavior you want is not a happy bird and will most likely develop bad habits like biting or plucking. What are your expectations as it relates to having a bird in your life? They are expensive to maintain, require you to spend quite a bit if time with them, messy and there are significant safety concerns like having dogs and cats living with them.

Of course there are many positive attributes to being a bird guardian.

I was just reading your other post about getting a first bird. I hope you find the right one for you.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My number one rule with getting a bird is to get the one you want. If you don't then you may never be happy with the one you get.

My first bird was an 18/19 year old Greenwing macaw. He was several hands full, but we made it and he became my best buddy in the world. He died after 15 years yet he will always be my #1 buddy.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When a new member comes aboard saying "I'm looking for a parrot" we don't start with the bird. We start with "you". What your situation is? What your experience level is? What your/the birds environment is like? Many thing you have probably not even considered.

Be careful what you wish for because this isn't going to be a wish. This is going to be a lifetime, hardworking journey.

So tell us about yourself.

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
We welcomed our Grey into our home a little over 4 months ago and she has completely won our hearts. She is 7 years old and an absolute joy. I've owned parakeets and finches in the past but I've never experienced anything like Roxie. She is really like one of my children now. I keep my expectations low and just let her feel me out. She doesn't allow me to hold her or even pet her too much (she really prefers the males in my home) but we are working on building trust and have come a long way since our first hello. She fascinates me everyday with her playfulness and surprises me with her mimicking (shes learned to say 'Hola' and 'peek a boo' amongst other things, but those phrases are my favorite). And yes, shes a lot of work and she is expensive but I was well aware of these things through reading everything I could get my hands on and stalking AA :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also consider if you are looking to be a single parrot owner or might be interested in others later. Greys are very dusty and shouldn't be kept with macaws, pionus, and honestly, probably not conures either. So a grey would be a little restricting in that regard.

Other cons is that because of their intelligence, they do need a lot more to keep them busy, and they also can be prone to feather destructive behaviors.

And all of your pros really apply to any parrot! ;) Not all greys talk but all are intelligent, but parrots in general are. And they all have personalities that are SO much bigger than themselves. Even the smallest birds have a lifespan of 10 years, but when you get to cockatiels, conures, etc, you are looking at 20-30 years, and then on up from there.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
As a grey breeder for about 14 yrs, I have establish my standards of who will acquire one of my babies. If a first timer comes, we discuss what is involved in raising a baby grey, which is much different than obtaining one that has passed the baby stage. I do not turn them away but ask what they are expecting in the relationship. If I feel their lifestyle or expectations are not suitable for owning a grey I will inform them of my opinion. Baby greys are clumsy, bad fliers at first and crash lots, can be nervous of the strangest things, often select who they like, and are like living with a toddler for life. You need to watch everything they are doing during this stage until they mature a bit and learn their approved boundaries.
They require lots of out of cage time, don't do as well in a very active environment, and young children can make them stressed, unless they children have been involved from the start with visits and interacting with the bird.

All my clients are REQUIRED to make several visits before baby leaves. If you are wanting a baby I highly suggest you find a local breeder who will allow weekly visits from 7weeks of age till well weaned.

You have been given great advice with checking into rescues. A grey that is past one year would be a better option for a first timer but I would also spend time with it before taking one home. A mature one you see what you are getting from the start.

Erestyl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joshua
Too smart? I really do not use the word obedient to describe any bird. They are and always will retain their "wild side". I bird that is molded to behavior you want is not a happy bird and will most likely develop bad habits like biting or plucking.
I knew as I was typing that that it wasn't the right word to use, but it was late and I couldn't think of anything else. What I meant was that they seem a lot more able and willing to get into trouble. From watching other people, it seems that it's fairly easy to pick up a budgie or parrotlet and remove them from potentially dangerous or undesirable situations, but that seems a lot harder with a bird the size of an African Grey. But no, obedience is not what I meant at all! :hilarious:

And yes, shes a lot of work and she is expensive but I was well aware of these things through reading everything I could get my hands on and stalking AA :)
This pretty much sums up my last few weeks :D

Also consider if you are looking to be a single parrot owner or might be interested in others later. Greys are very dusty and shouldn't be kept with macaws, pionus, and honestly, probably not conures either. So a grey would be a little restricting in that regard.
This is good to know, I hadn't come across this information anywhere else. I don't plan on ever having more than one (although I am aware that most people start out that way... haha!) so that probably wouldn't be a huge issue.

You have been given great advice with checking into rescues. A grey that is past one year would be a better option for a first timer but I would also spend time with it before taking one home. A mature one you see what you are getting from the start.
That's the main reason I was looking for a rehome, is because I'd much rather know what I'm getting into from the start, rather than get a baby whose personality is impossible to determine.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I feel much less intimidated by this species now. I think my best course of action will just be to visit a lot of different shelters, breeders, and Craigslist ads to meet a wide variety of individuals, and just wait until one captures my heart irrespective of the species.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I knew as I was typing that that it wasn't the right word to use, but it was late and I couldn't think of anything else. What I meant was that they seem a lot more able and willing to get into trouble. From watching other people, it seems that it's fairly easy to pick up a budgie or parrotlet and remove them from potentially dangerous or undesirable situations, but that seems a lot harder with a bird the size of an African Grey. But no, obedience is not what I meant at all! :hilarious:

This pretty much sums up my last few weeks :D

This is good to know, I hadn't come across this information anywhere else. I don't plan on ever having more than one (although I am aware that most people start out that way... haha!) so that probably wouldn't be a huge issue.

That's the main reason I was looking for a rehome, is because I'd much rather know what I'm getting into from the start, rather than get a baby whose personality is impossible to determine.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I feel much less intimidated by this species now. I think my best course of action will just be to visit a lot of different shelters, breeders, and Craigslist ads to meet a wide variety of individuals, and just wait until one captures my heart irrespective of the species.

They are beautiful and often get rehomed. A rescue is great to find one, the rescue I adopted from will let you foster for two month before you adopt. That is a great time to figure out what you are doing and if you like it. Make a budget, you spend more than you think you will on a bird in a short amount of time. Cage is expensive and so are perches and toys and you will need all from the get go. Check out boarding prices for vacations in your area. An air purifier is a must, I have several because of a cockatiel and I use a humidifier in the winter month because the humidity is low in my house. If you have nice molding and windows know that birds are destructive. We covered quite some areas with plexiglass.
I never knew I was a bird person until I got one for my son. They are intelligent, beautiful and just fun to watch.

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
I never knew I was a bird person until I got one
... my current situation. I find myself browsing CL a lot lately, as I feel especially bad for the birds listed there. I cant promise my fiancé that I wont become a bird lady. But I think deep down hes perfectly fine with that.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Greys are very dusty and shouldn't be kept with macaws, pionus, and honestly, probably not conures either. So a grey would be a little restricting in that regard.
I just wanted to add that greys or other dusty birds also are not a good choice for people with asthma, allergies, or other breathing problems. The dust can easily exacerbate respiratory issues or cause bird keeper's lung. An air purifier is a must. I've always admired greys and was strongly considering one, but ended up getting a caique instead because both my husband and I have mild asthma.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just wanted to add that greys or other dusty birds also are not a good choice for people with asthma, allergies, or other breathing problems. The dust can easily exacerbate respiratory issues or cause bird keeper's lung. An air purifier is a must. I've always admired greys and was strongly considering one, but ended up getting a caique instead because both my husband and I have mild asthma.

Ahh yes very good point that I totally didn't mention! Thank you!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I love Ella she will be 8 months in a week. She has been independent and moreso I am going to do what I want when I want. She broke ALL her flight feathers on her right wing, simply because she threw a fit... I didn't let her out of the cage when I walked into work as I normally do, but I had a handful of bags from the store and had to set them down. :wacky: She flapped her wings so hard against the cage she broke every single flight feather on one wing that quickly. :meh: Young ones are a special challenge because they think all should go there way or else. She has to live with it in my opinion, now she can not fly at all, a short flight one foot at a time. She is understanding that she can't fly now and having this fit probably won't happen again anytime soon there is always a but.... She has to rely on me to pick her up and move her, finding it a good thing for someone very stubborn. :D I don't let her out of the cage immediately anymore, she has to wait. ;)

She is a character and a half, many words and rearranges words to suit her. Plays constantly and definitely hyper the breeder warned me she was overly active and she is hands down why I wanted her. I will take all of her because she pretty darn lovable and funny to boot. :)

Last edited:

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Honestly, you sound as if you have/are preparing yourself as best you can for a person that has no experience. Birds are birds, they are not at all like a dog or cat and it takes time living with the them to realize what I'm talking about hehe. They are messy, but like anything if you maintain it it is far easier to handle. I change the papers at the bottom daily and wipe down where there are messes, and once a week or so I take it outside for a thorough hosing. Cages and perches along with toys and bowls add up to a pretty penny but that is mostly upfront costs, my parrot is far cheaper to keep than my dogs. He goes through a bag of pellets that cost $20 a month and I share with him fresh foods that I prepare daily, whereas my dogs are closer to $100 in food per month (I have two).

Get the bird that you want. They are all such unique personalities regardless of species, that you may find the bird you click with can be surprisingly different from what you expected. You will also find that over time, years even, you will discover new aspects to their personality. They take much longer to accept or become accustomed to people or things than you'd think, and some they decide they never like. You will probably at some point be bitten. I'm not saying these things to deter you, but just as a heads up!

I have had a cockatiel for twenty years that I found outside, he is a cool little bird and I love him but he is content to mostly do his own thing. My grey thrives much more out of personal attention from me, and he generally asks for more mental stimulations. BUT...

He is so neat. He has easily a hundred plus words and phrases he recites with startling clarity, not to mention the myriad of noises he mimics. He is very sweet, he loves nothing more than to sit on my shoulder while I scratch him. He is very low key, and he is a 1 on a scale to 10 in regards to noise. He is extremely quiet and never squawks or screams. This is definitely not something to expect when it comes to birds! Lol. I couldn't be happier with him and I am so glad I got him, my life just wouldn't be right with him gone. I received him along with his cage and all belongings for free because his previous owners no longer wanted him, I still can't wrap my head around how someone could throw away something so wonderful as my Toby but I sure am glad I was the person who ended up with him. There are many, many unwanted birds that need homes and it doesn't necessarily mean they have behavioral issues. Volunteering at a rescue would be a perfect opportunity for hands on experience, research is great but it just can't substitute the real deal!

I applaud you for the humble approach you have taken and I can tell you regard adding a bird to your life seriously. You will make a wonderful owner!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've owned parakeets and finches in the past but I've never experienced anything like Roxie.
I could have typed this exact line! My husband and I are going to be adopting a 19 year old grey (also named Roxie!) and though we've only met her a couple of times, I can honestly say that as intelligent as our other birds are, nothing prepared us for the experience of meeting Roxanne for the first time. :wideyed: Where Pistachio had the sneaky brain of a mini-villain :sneaky:, and Buzzard is easily as aware as a young child, nothing on YouTube or even anything we had read on AA (and there are some very comprehensive descriptions!) prepared us for meeting an African grey for the first time. Her intelligence can only be described as an experience for us and I hope everyone gets to meet a bird like her at least once in their life. :joyful: After meeting her the first time for only a few hours we already left with a deeper insight into all birds and we can't wait to see what else she has to share with us. While not every species or individual may have the physical ability to demonstrate their capacity to us quite so clearly, they all have more cognizance than meets the eye.

Last edited:

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
I've always held the belief that animals are not inferior to humans in any way. Why? Because we build skyscrapers? Invented computers? And how daft we are to think that the noises animals make are just that. Noises. Who's to say their languages aren't as complex as our own? They have diverse relationships, and obvious emotions. They have the skills and intelligence to do what 98% of the human population couldn't do, and that's to survive and thrive in the wilderness. They may even be better than us, my parrot does an incredible feat that I can't... he can speak English but I sure as hell cant speak bird!

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
I've always held the belief that animals are not inferior to humans in any way
I think its the exact opposite. I have a deep admiration for Roxie. I honor her. Sometimes I feel very inferior to her (if that makes any sense) :shrug: I doubt myself everyday. As much as I read and learn what scientists have uncovered about her species, as many toys, new perches, and fancy organic parrot food as I buy her, as much as I sit with her and sing to her, I still don't think that I'm providing enough. I always wonder if shes happy and what message shes trying to send when she calls out. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I was not meaning to imply that any living thing is inferior to any other, they are only different. :)
my parrot does an incredible feat that I can't... he can speak English but I sure as hell cant speak bird!
I agree. :D But even the non English-speaking birdies do a better job of getting their point across that some people I know. (like me for instance! :laugh:)