• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a second pa?

Should I get another bird?

• Total voters

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I’ve had my Canary Wing Parakeet Delilah for a year now, and I’m starting to get the feeling that she would really enjoy a friend. When she is in the same room with my finches, she tries to chirp to them and be with them, but they have their own little flock and aren’t really interested in her.

When my elderly finches, Fox and Puffkin (RIP my little guys) were at the end of their lives and couldn’t keep up with the rest of the flock, they moved into my room with Delilah who loved the company. She did really well with them, and they had lots of little “conversations”, chirping back and forth while I was at school, but got jealous when Fox (who was hand tame) went onto me for millet, or when Fox and Puffkin raided her cage to eat her food and play with her toys (I quickly learned that they had to be supervised at all times as they were just too mischievous and fearless! They had their own toys... but of course another birds toys were always better.)

Anyway, Delilah I think has proved herself to have a lot of tolerance around other birds, and that she really would enjoy a friend of her own. I was thinking maybe a more skittish small bird (budgie to green cheek size) who isn’t hand tame? Maybe watching Delilah snuggle and get treats could help a more shy bird come around to enjoy being with people. Anyway, I’d love advice! Delilah is my first parrot and I really don’t want her to be lonely, especially with school starting soon.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the first question should always be, do you want another bird? The second then is do you have the time and resources for another bird. If the answer to those questions are yes, then most likely Delilah would enjoy another bird's company. Just keep in mind they may never be "friends" that hang out together. There's no guaranty that any two birds will get along.