• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I cut my bird’s nails

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
i have researched as much as I can and I cannot finding out when I should cut His nails or if they’d are overgrown. He is a 5.5 month old male cockatiel, clipped by breeder. There are pictures of giant nails below, please tell me if they are overgrown!!!

Attachments

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
They do look long. An easy way to tell when they need trimming is if your bird is standing on a flat surface and the nail is touching, it is probably time for a trim. My bird's nails grow fast so we go every 5 weeks or so.

If you've never done it before it might be best to take him to a vet or to someone experienced with grooming birds because if you cut the quick it may bleed.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They do look long. An easy way to tell when they need trimming is if your bird is standing on a flat surface and the nail is touching, it is probably time for a trim. My bird's nails grow fast so we go every 5 weeks or so.

If you've never done it before it might be best to take him to a vet or to someone experienced with grooming birds because if you cut the quick it may bleed.
That is also my advice and I think they needs to gets trimmed too.
Visit the vet and get it done, and then you can file them yourself every months.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If your cockatiel's claws are see-through, you can see the quick and avoid hitting it and therefore do it yourself. If you decide to go to the vet, have her show you how to trim them, not do it for you. Remember, this bird will live between ten and twenty years and you don't want to have to pay for nail trimming ever month or so! Learn as much as you can anytime you take your bird to a professional; it really is the only way to care for them: by yourself.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will also add that the stress for the bird to visit the vet that often is good to avoid.
That is the main reason I file mines claws.