• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've noticed a pattern with Java, whenever I include Red Palm Oil in his food, a few bites to midway through his meal, he starts pumping his neck and then shakes his head to throw it all back up. I thought it was a coincidence, but I gave him RPO tonight mixed with his chop, and he did it again. He started regurgitating and then he shook his head from side to side until his food came up. He's gone back to eating, but I'm wondering if this is cause for concern or is it normal? He seems just fine while he's doing it, but he does it religiously. Is there an explanation to why he's doing this, and should I just exclude RPO from his diet?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
He seems just fine while he's doing it, but he does it religiously. Is there an explanation to why he's doing this, and should I just exclude RPO from his diet?
My birds don't like it. I tried it a few times, they wont eat their food if I put that on.The first few times they would do what java is doing. There's plenty of other nutrient dense foods they like. I don't like it either tastes nasty.:depressed:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds don't like it. I tried it a few times, they either wont eat their food if I put that on.The first few times they would do what java is doing. Theirs plenty of other nutrient dense foods they like. I don't like it either tastes nasty.:depressed:
I also don't like the taste, but Java LOVES it. If I even gesture toward the jar, he stretches his neck and starts clambering around the cage to get as close as possible, sticking his tongue out and going crazy for it!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I also don't like the taste, but Java LOVES it. If I even gesture toward the jar, he stretches his neck and starts clambering around the cage to get as close as possible, sticking his tongue out and going crazy for it!
That's good, I guess then he's stretching his neck letting it slide down...
:lol:

I don't think anything's wrong. Probably just a "Java Thing"...one of his quirks. ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Coincidence. How much RPO did you put in there?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
RPO might seem like regurgitate to him so may be returning the favor. If I hand feed Ripley anything like RPO, mash, baby food etc he tries to regurgitate for me.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
My birds also don't like it. I can put other oils in their food - coconut, walnut, etc., but not the red palm.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
RPO might seem like regurgitate to him so may be returning the favor. If I hand feed Ripley anything like RPO, mash, baby food etc he tries to regurgitate for me.
That's what I thought in the beginning, but it seemed like he was vomiting and not regurgitating. He'd shake his head until it flew out of his mouth and got stuck to the cage bars and his feathers.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes.

Why are you giving him RPO?
For the additional Vitamin A, which is what was recommended to me when I first got him. He was very underweight and deficient

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you're going to add RPO to the diet start out with a very small amount and give them a chance to acquire a taste for it slowly. Just like anything else.

I hate it when someone smothers my burger in ketchup. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're going to add RPO to the diet start out with a very small amount and give them a chance to acquire a taste for it slowly. Just like anything else.

I hate it when someone smothers my burger in ketchup. :)
He's been getting RPO since early February and he loves it! Maybe too much. How much should I give him and how often? :fairy:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Add carrot juice instead, and he still gets hemp seeds?
If so he don't need RPO, hemp seed is so much better too.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Add carrot juice instead, and he still gets hemp seeds?
If so he don't need RPO, hemp seed is so much better too.
I stopped the hemp seed because I learned that it was keeping him hormonal

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's been getting RPO since early February and he loves it!
That's why I said coincidence. I don't think it's got anything to do with the RPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.