• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be picking up a still untamed bird shortly?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Like I've said before my dove was clipped by his previous owner, and was generally left in a small cage with no attention, so he has lost all of any "tame" he may have had before.

++++--------+This can be skipped, if you don't want the details. -----++++

Lately I have been taking the stop for my bird by having him step onto my hand (with pushy placement, not treats yet) and placing him on little perch stairs I've made for him that lead to my desk, as well as give him the option of hopping onto the cage door (it is secured in a flat position,) if he were to feel the need to leave.
----+++++-----

So basically he is being "forcibly" picked up and placed on the outside of his cage, as well as put back in at the end of the night.

While he is out there I leave treats nearby him for him to snack on, and currently sit nearby paying him as little obvious attention as possible.

I feel he is uncomfortable jumping on the door, which may make him more uncomfortable with this, and also worry making this step for him may be counter-productive from the stress of picking him up. What is your opinion?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Maybe put a rope perch leading to the door so he can get there without jumping. But I think I would leave it up to him to gain the courage to come out on his own. You can still talk to him and offer treats and try to gain his trust but forcing him is counter productive to that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Let him come out in his own, and never force him to do anything. Forcing will just cause fear. Have a platform or perch right outside his door that he can come out on when he is ready. Put his favorite treat there and give him time, it might take weeks.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Because of the layout of the cage, I wouldn't be able to put a perch there, so I believe until his feathers grow back he would have to be lifted.
I have a very specific layout so he can navigate the cage confidently with no chance of falling, so it would be very hard to find a better layout.
Do you guys think a gentle lift would be such a big deal? He gets tons of treats and food afterwards.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is he afraid when you lift him? Does he try to get away when you put your hands in his cage? If he actually walks to your hands to be lifted up, then no, it would not be a big deal, but I doubt this is the case. He probably tries to avoid being picked up, and if so, then yes, this can ruin any trust he has in you. Maybe you can post a picture of your cage in order for us to help you figure out a way to get a perch right outside the door. Maybe a platform perch?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Update: I managed to find a way for him to get out, and now he comes running to get his seed as soon as I step out of the room every morning.
Now how do I get him back in at the end of the day? :laugh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hopefully the same way he came out! Or he may be willing to go back in on his own!

If he doesn't like "stepping" up or doesn't know how to yet and wont do it on a perch, it may help to take his cage to him, if he's not near his cage.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Put his favorite food in his cage, and maybe he will go back when he's hungry. Don't feed him for a while before it's time to go back in.