• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Should I be concerned...?

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
The past couple of days things have been going fine with Brodie. He's been (very) talkative, eating well, poop is normal, eyes are bright, nares are clean, vent is clean, breathing is normal...

And all the same is true today. Except he's been on the floor of his cage for much longer than normal this afternoon (sometimes he'll go down there but won't stay there). He was perched at the top of his cage this morning and early afternoon, and I gave him a spritz shower, which he enjoyed... but then the past half hour or so he's been at the bottom of his cage just walking around and being his mostly-normal self (with the exception of the fact that he NEVER spends time on the bottom of his cage...).

He's still talking/singing/making noises. I just gave him a little juice mixed with water and he slurped that down pretty quickly. He's climbing around on his cage now, it sounds like... so I'm wondering if it's just that he wanted to freak me out (he's done this in the past -- I swear, he knows that I'm a nervous new parront and will get stressed when anything behaviorally [or otherwise] is abnormal, so he'll do stuff on purpose that freaks me out).

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that that is the case ("hey, let's freak Mom out, because if I do, then maybe I'll get something special"). I'm including some pictures of how he looks currently, though, because him being on the floor of his cage is super abnormal and I'm concerned. But again -- everything physically (that I can see) is perfectly normal.

010.JPG

012.JPG
(Sorry that one's a little crooked.)

013.JPG
(Perched on the bottom of his door.)

001.JPG
This was him last night.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know if you should freak out or not, but he is eating and acting normal in any other ways.
I would guess that this is some hormonal behaviour. How old is he?

And also, to be on the floor is normal to a bird, mine are eating, playing and also just walking around on the floor if they feel comfortable where they live.
So when my birds are on the floor I see it like something good. :)

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
He's 13 years old, will be 14 this year.

I've never seen him on the floor before (at least for this length of time); I think one of the reasons for my concern is that the floor of his cage is about 2 feet from our floor, so our cat can peek in at him and everyone around him is taller than he is. So he's basically putting himself at a disadvantage height-wise right now -- when previously, he's always preferred to be at the top of his cage or at least one of the 2 higher perches.

My husband thinks he's fine -- everything behaviorally is normal except for where he is standing -- and it's true that Brodie does have a history of freaking me out just cuz he can. :rolleyes:

And I guess it could mean that he is getting more comfortable here...? because if he feels safe enough to be at a height disadvantage, that is a pretty huge thing. He's been living with us for over 3 months now so maybe...?

ETA: The only other abnormal thing that happened today as well, is that he let me pet him. Not just give him a scritch on the top of his head, but also pet his back. That's a first. And again, is it happening because he's more comfortable living here? or did he let me pet him because he wasn't feeling like NOT letting me pet him? (His eyes weren't even pinning, though...)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I would think it's his comfort level. From what I have read, greys are partial ground feeders. both my meyer's love to play on the bottom of the cage and the budgies are getting comfortable enough to do the same now. They have been in their new cage in the bird room for about 10 days or so and just were feeding out of their floor dish in front of me for the first time. Maybe put a dish with some pieces of wood or toy parts with some treats hidden in it for some ground foraging fun.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
My other thought would be that it might be hormonal behavior if he hasn't been DNA confirmed male. Maybe a gal on a quest for a nest?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And I guess it could mean that he is getting more comfortable here...?
Yes it can. Like I said, I think it's something good. :)
And again, is it happening because he's more comfortable living here?
Yes, so congrats! :)
Brodie does have a history of freaking me out just cuz he can. :rolleyes:
LOL! But IMO better to react than not to. We should never stop to react to the small changes our bird does, it can be life savings.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Is it possible he is actually a female? I've read this is a sign that a bird is going to lay eggs on the bottom of their cage.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Thanks for the replies. I texted his previous owner (who is a close friend of mine) and she said that she doesn't think it's anything to be concerned about either.

@gibsongrrrl -- good idea. I have a shallow dish that I can put some toys and treats in for foraging fun. :) Thanks for the idea, and thanks for the reminder that Greys are partially ground feeders (I'd forgotten because I'm a stressed out derp right now, but my desktop background is of wild Greys taking off from the ground where they'd been foraging).

@BirdLover3 -- I don't know if Brodie is a boy or a girl, since he's never been DNA confirmed as male. However, he's 13 years old and has never exhibited nest making behaviors in the past...

@Eloy -- Truth. I'd rather respond to Brodie behaving differently and have it be nothing, than ignore anything different (even small changes) and have it be a problem.

Now I just gotta calm myself down. LOL. It's a little pathetic how much of a wreck this can turn me into. :banghead: I feel like everyone around me is used to me freaking out about Brodie... but everyone else (including my husband) is able to be totally calm and be like "he's just doing something different for the fun of it/he's just changing things up to freak you out." Yet I'm the one who ALWAYS freaks out (well, not always, and by freaking out, it's mostly mentally... not so much externally... but still :banghead: :banghead: :shy:).

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I am easily freaked out myself. Totally understand you on that!:hug8:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a shallow dish that I can put some toys and treats in for foraging fun. :) Thanks for the idea, and thanks for the reminder that Greys are partially ground feeders (I'd forgotten because I'm a stressed out derp right now, but my desktop background is of wild Greys taking off from the ground where they'd been foraging).
This is what I was thinking also. They like a nice big plate on the bottom of their cage to eat from.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
*sigh*

So I put a shallow dish on the floor of his cage, with some of his favorite foraging things in it...

...and as soon as I set it down, he looked at me like "what are you doing?" ...and climbed up the side of his cage and is now perched on the main perch, eating supper.

:banghead: and :grumpy: = me right now.

:hilarious: and :smuggrin: = Brodie right now.

Parrot: 1.
Mom: 0.

At times like this you can only smile... right? lol.