• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Shock in Conures

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Thank you and I did have those same thoughts you explained.

I have left Him and Kate in the cage alone because she will start going after Ginger and I get tired of protecting her.

Ben's cage was on the other side on top of a dresser (adult birds where right beside them . and there was constantly someone bugging him and then the sheer. That's why he was moved to the other side. I thought maybe that was the whole issue. Too close to the adult birds too soon.

The breeder had suggested a sheer cloth over him. Once i moved him to the other side of the room they left him alone more.

Usually, there has been more perches and such outside the cages in their room. I took everything down to move the babies cage a litter close to the window because they have a topper so their cage is darker than the adults..then got sick. They have a play area between the cages. One in front of the window/shelves and then the bath in the middle of the room.

If the sheer comes off positively there will be cage fights. Kate stands in the background while this is happening with him. I don't want to do that or can't yet until I feel they are safer. They only do it when I am not there because I ignored the internet and yelled at them when they are starting fights.

So I should move Eliza and Toby closer to Ben and Kate? Toby wants Kate. He got mad at Freddy today when she was out.

have created a mess because I met a conure.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds like a soap opera. How many do you have?

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
If the sheer comes off positively there will be cage fights. Kate stands in the background while this is happening with him.

So I should move Eliza and Toby closer to Ben and Kate? Toby wants Kate. He got mad at Freddy today when she was out.
Only you know what the situation is as you are there. I can only offer opinions and I don't have conures. To me they are no different to other birds. I had a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and a Galah until they passed. I have dealt with Swans, Peacocks, Owls and I now have Eclectus, Alexandrines, Finches, Lorikeets and just got 2 Caiques who are teaching me a lot. It seems to me they all want the same thing at the end of the day. To survive and be at peace. They also want to be top bird or to be close to the top bird and will boss you continually if you are too easy going. Kate standing back is normal.

My Caiques are just out of quarantine and have met the other birds at a distance although they can hear each other. I have them in separate rooms as it would be too much for them to handle if they met my other birds all at once. My other birds would be picked on by the Caiques if I am not careful how I introduce them into the pecking order.
If Toby wants Kate I would keep them apart for now. Were your other 4 living in harmony before Ben and Kate arrived? Ben is the one who needs the most attention and his needs would be my primary concern. Just because the other birds want something doesn't mean you should give it to them. You can't make them like each other. All you can do is start from scratch and re-introduce them slowly. If that means Ben and Kate are moved to another room where the others cannot get to them then that is what I would do for now until they feel you are a reliable and safe option. Just feed them, clean their cage and don't ask anything more. Meanwhile keep the others away from them. If you can't do that then all of them are better staying in their cages for now as its harder to undo bad habits than to stop them before it starts. You have only had them a short while, perhaps a vet visit is in order to rule out illness. It usually takes a month or five for birds to become accustomed to their new home.
Don't rush it or force the issue or they will take it out on each other. Good luck. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I didn’t read down through everything but falling over could be a sign of heart issues. I have three that have that problem to various degrees and they all have heart disease. One with high blood pressure, one elderly and one semi young with clogged arteries and damaged heart. All diagnosed via xray and ultrasound based on symptoms.

If they were mine, they would have their own room unless you can put up a netted divider in the room. They can and will kill him through the cage if given an opportunity. Just because they are the same size and species doesn’t mean they have a fighting chance against multiples. It needs to be set up so the other birds cannot come into contact with him at all. And it may always be this way. I have boys that absolutely cannot share the same zone. What will you do and how will you feel if Kate leaves him for the group? I think you should work on keeping them as a solid pair rather than letting them flock. An odd one will really make you feel bad.

You’ve really got to be careful about messing with flock dynamics. I have one girl that loves males. She hooked up with three boys. Eventually boy three chewed a huge hole in his leg because his girl was visiting another (by her choice). I was able to find him his own mate by pulling him from the room and doing introductions and living arrangements with a wild girl that came in. But to this day he has pain in that leg and takes daily meds.

Put them in their own space...one nobody can access, get vetting and if you must grab to break up a fight...hold onto the bird and check him over before release. I have to break up fights occasionally and I keep a dish towel in the room. I also have a hoop swing I can quickly unhook from the ceiling for my wild guy when he goes on a rampage.

Separate and vet...

Sheer net that divides my others 118C87CF-C8A4-424D-A976-0F25B231131B.jpeg

I have one pair divided because if she gets any painful bite, she will mutilate the injury and it takes collars and heavy meds to get her back to normal so I don’t even take the chance letting them be in general population. And I never leave everyone out by themselves in the room unless I am there.

Last edited:

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys! Great advice!

I over explain but i don't want to miss important details.

I am still deciding what I will do..but I think Kate and Ben will be cage birds beside Toby and Eliza and still with the sheer.

I can safely and without stress get Kate back in the cage. I am now scared to try to pick up Ben...so he's staying in there until we are better friends.

I have pissed them all off. Yesterday Toby had a squabble with Eliza AND then Freddy when Kate was there....the more is not the merrier.

Kate belongs to Ben right now. But I feel like I should give her to Toby since he's the one trying to mate with everyone.

Ben could stay with Ginger only in the room with him. She's only 5 months..so maybe be friendly to him if she's alone???? These are just thoughts. I won't do anything without some opinions.

I have 6 birds. 3 males and 3 females. My intent in to switch cage friends...eventually.. Toby should e the breeder. But that's my feelings. He seems to be doing everything google says they do when they are getting ready to breed.

Another question...Eliza is the boss. She loves me. Will I put a bigger target on Ben if I move him into the livingroom? The birds love being out of their room, he would be always.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Only you know what the situation is as you are there. I can only offer opinions and I don't have conures. To me they are no different to other birds. I had a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and a Galah until they passed. I have dealt with Swans, Peacocks, Owls and I now have Eclectus, Alexandrines, Finches, Lorikeets and just got 2 Caiques who are teaching me a lot. It seems to me they all want the same thing at the end of the day. To survive and be at peace. They also want to be top bird or to be close to the top bird and will boss you continually if you are too easy going. Kate standing back is normal.

My Caiques are just out of quarantine and have met the other birds at a distance although they can hear each other. I have them in separate rooms as it would be too much for them to handle if they met my other birds all at once. My other birds would be picked on by the Caiques if I am not careful how I introduce them into the pecking order.
If Toby wants Kate I would keep them apart for now. Were your other 4 living in harmony before Ben and Kate arrived? Ben is the one who needs the most attention and his needs would be my primary concern. Just because the other birds want something doesn't mean you should give it to them. You can't make them like each other. All you can do is start from scratch and re-introduce them slowly. If that means Ben and Kate are moved to another room where the others cannot get to them then that is what I would do for now until they feel you are a reliable and safe option. Just feed them, clean their cage and don't ask anything more. Meanwhile keep the others away from them. If you can't do that then all of them are better staying in their cages for now as its harder to undo bad habits than to stop them before it starts. You have only had them a short while, perhaps a vet visit is in order to rule out illness. It usually takes a month or five for birds to become accustomed to their new home.
Don't rush it or force the issue or they will take it out on each other. Good luck. :)

The 4 were living in peace. Still figuring each other out, but friendly towards each other. Toby and Eliza loved the addition. And the babies are babies..so just going with the flow.

Kate joined with no problems...but now Toby is letting everyone know that she is his. And Kate finds Toby as soon as she leaves the cage.

Toby loved Eliza and Freddy before Kate. Kate is a big girl. This will be future problems with Eliza.