• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Shock in Conures

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Please help me solve a conflict.

Ben moved here Dec 26th. With his mate. She has joined the flock.

He is shy. And no one likes him and tries to fight him. Even the friendly ones.

One fight with the boss, I call serious. They didn't want to break up (one is scared to be touched and wouldn't go away) they were both trying to get over my hand so I grabbed a bird (Ben) and tossed him out of the cage. Then he flew up and hit the window. My bf picked him up and put him in his cage. He fell over into his bath and would have drowned! I picked him up and held him, spoke quietly, and he settled.

I contacted the breeder and discussed this and (at least for me) it was very traumatic and he could have absolutely gone into shock.

Then, someone bit off his nail during a cage fight and there was quite a bit of blood.

Since then, Ben has been a cage bird with a sheer curtain over the top.

I've tried letting him out with just his mate, Kate but he won't leave the cage. I've been patient with him. He watches us with the other birds. I think him and I are friends. He seems curious.

Today, my boyfriend picked him up. Ben panicked, bit, and was put back in his cage again..and then went into "shock" again.

Does this sound normal AT ALL? The fight/hitting the window makes sense to me, but I pride myself on my animal abilities...though I am still not perfect, I make animals happy. He shouldn't be so stressed.

I feel like I have a very calm and amazing environment for all my other birds.

I think Ben has a health concern, but right now he is back to "his normal self" again so my bf says " he's fine".

I will do anything Ben needs, but I HAVE been known to overreact when it involves animals. The vet is 3 hours away and was zero help with this.

Can a healthy bird go into shock TWICE? Even if I don't count the first time the second wasn't normal, in my opinion.

Any advice please? Could this be normal for one bird? I want to bring him to the vet and have a physical...which would probably kill him, since the 2 times he's been touched this has happened.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Birds should not be housed together if they are fighting. Keep them separated,they will kill each other.

Blood loss is serious in birds, so not only has he been in shock from stress, being thrown and hitting a window he's lost blood.

Keep him separated, warm and dim lighting. Do not touch him or induce anymore stress, try and keep him calm!

Is he eating and drinking? Is he wobbly? What's his poop like? Preening? Singing? Anything strange?

What is the situation of the other bird? Is that one hurt? Is he bullying others? How many counres do you have in one cage?

You could Call the vet and see what they suggest.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Definitely let him have his own big cage if he doesn’t get along with others. The second instance you describe sounds like he is just scared. He shouldn’t be grabbed or picked up, but rather you should let him come to you willingly. Sit near his cage, talk to him, feed him treats, etc. It sounds like he’s terrified and you need to earn his trust. If he is eating, moving around normally, etc., you don’t need to cover his entire cage. Maybe just cover it partially if he is stressed. You haven’t had him that long and he’s still settling in poor guy.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Sorry if I reply wrong. And words are not my strong point....Ben and Kate came together and have bred in the past. They share a cage but all my cages are in one room.

Eliza, who is my bossy bird, was the opponent. She went into Ben's cage and attacked him. The door was open because at that point I thought he was just shy and would come out when he was ready. I didn't want to push him, Kate was already accepted by the others. I just wanted the option of him coming out on his own.

That fight seemed seriously (compared to what I have experienced introducing everyone previously).. I panicked. They were going around my hand to continue fighting. Usually my voice or just my presence is enough to stop it. Not sure if that's just how MY birds are..anyhow, I grabbed the first bird. it was Ben, (he was biting me) so I let him go on the ground. Not actually tossed but I didn't place him there either if that makes sense. I would have done the same movement to a dog..but it was still fast and he was so new to me. Then he flew and hit the window. After that was the big "shock" episode where he fell over into his dish. We will say the was Dec.29th.

Then a fight with someone..I ran in to separate but didn't see who Ben was fighting with. He was locked in his cage, but they rest fly free in the room. Sorted everyone out and they all seemed fine. Only later I noticed the dried blood on perches and such and notices the nail. We will say that happened Jan.3rd.

Then my bf picking him up today.

I have 6 Conures and 3 cages. Everyone knows their cage friend and every gets along but they all have certain friends outside the cage. We are aware Kate (2yrs) will bully Ginger (5mo) so we watch that. Or Eliza (2yrs) used to bully Freddy (10mo) I am pretty routine. Someone lets me know they are awake. I go in open cages, everyone leaves and then I clean dishes, feed and such while chatting with Ben. He stays in his cage and is covered by a sheer curtain. I try to give him options to come out, but he is 3 years old and was a breeder bird so didn't get much socialization.

Typically my bf doesnt notice any of them except his love Ginger. lol Ben for sure is comfortable around me. He should be less stressed right now because I was sick so everyone had to stay in their cages, so Kate was with him.

Typically I am a worrier, so after fights I definitely pay attention. I have thought BOTH Kate and Ben are "off" based on my 4 pervious birds, but I think its because they were breeders and cages. Kate acts/lands/walks normal now, so I believe that theory.

Birds should not be housed together if they are fighting. Keep them separated,they will kill each other.

Blood loss is serious in birds, so not only has he been in shock from stress, being thrown and hitting a window he's lost blood.

Keep him separated, warm and dim lighting. Do not touch him or induce anymore stress, try and keep him calm!

Is he eating and drinking? Is he wobbly? What's his poop like? Preening? Singing? Anything strange?

What is the situation of the other bird? Is that one hurt? Is he bullying others? How many counres do you have in one cage?

"Ben" is the bird and came with "Kate". Only they share a cage, but all the birds share the room. Kate was out flying and their door was open.

Birds should not be housed together if they are fighting. Keep them separated, the y will kill each other.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
We have Toby and Eliza. They are siblings who are 3. They are not tame but will come for food. I would say they are confident and content living with people...but dont touch them. lol Eliza is queen bee and she will bite....my bf thinks Im stupid because I say she is starting to bite me nicely. But she is! She love me and my food! She is trusting me more everyday...but she will bite if you forget she wanted your food, or she sidekicks Toby and takes the food from his mouth!

And because of Eliza...Toby is perfect! He is so friendly and loves EVERYONE. He just goes with the flow..just dont try to touch him or he will fly away.

Then the babies Ginger AKA the Little velocraptor lol is 5mo and Freddy is 10mo. They came together as well. They used to be joined the hip, but Freddy grew back his wings finally (we bought them like that) so he wants to fly with the big bids. Freddy is ALWAYS with Toby. Toby used to always be with Eliza. They are best buddies. Ginger will hang out with Freddy and Toby. But Eliza has been mean to her, and they are just starting to trust eachother but can be out together with no problems, Ginger used to just run away from her. Those 4 I know well. We are home all day together and I want them to be free..so that means babysitting Ginger and bringing her to all the plces the big birds are. and then the next. And then the next. So sometimes Freddy and Ginger go to daycare (their cage) for a few hours.

We've had all 4 of those birds for a few months. Toby and Eliza share a cage and Fred and Ginger share a cage. Each morning I open cage doors and everyone is usually free flying for the day, at least in their room. I love them though and have created areas in each room so they can follow me room to room and mostly leave the mess in one area. It mostly works too. lol but let's be real..there is poop somewhere it shouldnt be..I've been googling potty training for birds!

Then Ben and Kate. We introduced one bird at time to her since she very obviously wanted out of the cage. She instantly fell head over heels for Toby. Eliza had already figured out I eat..so she is usually in whatever room I am in. She just didnt care if Freddy was or want there. Ginger ducked down and went after Kate, like a little velociraptor. So Kate doesn't like her much, but we always had to watch Ginger anyhow. But definitely when Kate is out.

Since Kate, their freedom has been more restricted because I have to be able to be there BEFORE someone gets hurts. The babies have time with just Toby and Eliza and then Kate comes out for awhile. Or babie in their cage and adults out.There's still going to be an issue here or there but if I stop them before they happen its easier on everyone.

Ben had no interest in coming out so I would leve the door open incase her changed his mind. Eliza went in and attack him. The first shock episode. since then Toby has aken fter him, but maybe because wants his female? Toby doesn fight. He gets along wih eveyone.

When I saw get along I mean they preen each other, sit beside their friend, follow their friend...

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Definitely let him have his own big cage if he doesn’t get along with others. The second instance you describe sounds like he is just scared. He shouldn’t be grabbed or picked up, but rather you should let him come to you willingly. Sit near his cage, talk to him, feed him treats, etc. It sounds like he’s terrified and you need to earn his trust. If he is eating, moving around normally, etc., you don’t need to cover his entire cage. Maybe just cover it partially if he is stressed. You haven’t had him that long and he’s still settling in poor guy.

I believe he is terrified, but oh my goodness he doesnt need to be. His cage is completely covered to keep him safe. The nail injury happened while he was in his cage alone. Eliza and Toby would try to fight him thru any opening that wasnt covered.

I will try to attach some photos of home life. I know we are new, but I cant handle stress either so I feel this is a good life, compared to just being a breeder bird, but I do believe was still treated well.

Do I move Ben completely out of the room? Alone or with Kate? I am too emotional, but I cant stand the thouht of Ben being bullied. At all, and for some reason I feel he has a target on him.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Birds can be territorial with their space. Some species tolerate others but never count on it...all it takes is once and you have a bitten beak or amputated toe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Remember that this is not about how you or we see the space. It is important that we don't forget it's Ben's perception we need to look at.

What was his life like before you?

He is afraid. If he cannot exist in that room without a cover for his safety, he needs to be moved to a room where he can, or given an area that is large enough for him to still have more movement. Ideally he needs to be given the choice of coming out without fear. You say you've had everyone for a few months. That means that they are all still figuring flock things out and adding a female to fight over just put another twist on it all. They are figuring out territory, mates, etc. He does have a Target on him. He's new, and has something everyone else wants. Maybe they just like his woman or maybe they also like his cage more and are fighting over a nesting spot.

Please don't grab him. At all. Do not force him out of the cage. He is a prey animal. Reaching in to a scared bird makes you seem more predatory and loses his trust more.

@webchirp has a whole flock of cheekies and may be able to provide more insight.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I think I broke my toe yesterday trying to explain what you just did to my bf. But it wasn't the same effect, because I DONT KNOW, just THINK I KNOW.

Toby and Eliza started in that cage. We ended up buying them a taller one because they only use the cage for bed or a few hours during the day. Then the babies used that cage, until they got a taller one.

I believe they call it a flight cage. Wide not tall. Without measuring I think it 2x3x2. I didn't think the cage or supplies could be an issue!

I've said we were probably so lucky because we started with adults and then got the babies. Toby and Eliza loved meeting as seeing the babies. I thought, I'm the best bird owner ever, everyone loves me and is happy, the more the merrier. Then we brought in the competition.

FYI, I only have confidence with my animal communication/ connection abilities. I feel and fix sick or sad animals. It is my life's purpose. I'm a rescuer. Not a breeder. I take dirty, sick, scared animals, make them whole, and find them a home. My bf just spent $4000 on his 12yr cat who escaped and was attacked by some wildlife..but he only sees the physical issues. He doesn't see the emotional trauma the cat now has. The cat has been to the vet (1002 times) and the vets say "he is fine". But he IS NOT the same cat...so I contacted psychics! I will do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING for the souls that live with me. And thankfully my bf can afford it...cause I can't! That's the frustration. I'm "wasting his money" because of my feelings.

I am an empath so I completely run off "my feelings" and that's my proof. And my bf is the complete opposite...hence my broken toe from my frustration! Lmao if I can't make you understand my views on someone's mental health...I will just chase you away, for them. Or apparently break my toe..but I got my way for Ben, so adult tantrums work!

Before us, I believe he was treated well. But I say. "Breeder bird" because Google says these birds don't make good pet birds...but I am not entirely sure I believe that! I DONT WANT TO BE A BREEDER other than I see babies which is obviously NOT a good reason. My bf wants to breed billions of beautiful babies and sell them to the first one who offers him a whack of money. I ONLY "own" Eliza because of a previous tantrum. I fell for her instantly! I said I don't care if she ever lets me touch her. Ever! I love her and she cant ever leave. Ever. Apparently "breeder birds" only make babies or get rehomed..which I DONT AGREE WITH.

ELIZA is a HUGE brat and I say she would be viewed as a "bad bird". She isn't cuddly, she will bite you, and bite you again if you don't understand her the first time. She sidekicks her brother and takes food right out of his mouth, AND will chase him to steal his food from his mouth! She is bossy and not what I think MOST people would keep or enjoy. But I love her and if our friendship stays exactly how it is now her and I will still be good friends and be happy.

I eat food and am a mostly vegetarian.. So to live, I have to constantly be eating fruits and veggies..bird food! Lol That's like being a God to a conure, I think. lol, and I honestly love her shizzty attitude..but we are still working on it. Her and I were made for each other. So after a previous tantrum she now legally belongs to me. But I WAS stealing here regardless if I ever left. I'd definitely go to jail for her..but I think I could fight it. I only wanted 1/4 of them. I realize I am an adult and should not be so proud of my tantrums, but it secured Eliza's future so I do not regret it. Lol

The babies came because as soon as Toby and Eliza moved here they started trying to nest everywhere. Google said they would try to nest but wouldn't lay eggs if you didn't provide a box, but they were trying to find their own. Grabbing kleenex to bring up top the cupboards...They were purchased separately from I assume a pet store, but are siblings we were told. We never recieved any papers for them but the lady SAID they were siblings. They have different years on their bands...but I didn't want my babies with issues. So we continue saying they are siblings WITHOUT proof. And got the babies to split them up but Eliza wasn't interested. So then the next birds. I messed up. I asked for a submissive female, because of Eliza. And I said it didn't matter for the male, because Toby is so friendly...

We bought the last 4 birds from the same breeder. Ben had 2 homes before us. The initial breeder and then was sold to another breeder and then sold to me as a breeder bird. At his last home he wasn't held or out of the cage much other than to go into the aviary in the summer, she said. Judging by the babies and seeing the breeder with a few other babies, Ben should have been cared for properly. Her birds seem pretty stable and confident around people..she taught her babies to do the boomarang thing..and I thought I was gonna have to fight this chick throwing birds! She has been so helpful to me and I FEEL like she has the birds best interest in mind. I'm not sure about the first breeder..but runs a very public parrot site. I assume he is reputable based on how the others interact with him..but again there's my feelings .

Yesterday, I panicked again. Crisis mode...I know birds are sensitive but I immediate thought heart condition because even though it's definitely hasn't been ideal for him, I didn't think he should have went into shock. But once I settled myself emotionally, the second episode should have been explained as scared and not shock.

So late last night once Steve and I were able to talk I found out..Steve reached in and grabbed Ben. Steve really only gives Ginger attention. She's the prettiest and loves him. I do all the bird stuff. Ben panicked and bite 3 times as hard as he could. Steve didn't let go, and put him in his cage. Then the episode. So I do believe it was stress caused. BREAK MY HEART! I knew they were sensitive, but that's extreme!

So now I am here with my birds. I want Kate to fly if she wants. And she usually wants to. So everyone comes out of their cages during the day.

I guess now my issue is, how to settle Ben. If he was a " breeder bird" here, I still wouldnt be able to cage him all the time. And with 6, I'm not sure if that's possible..here.

My options are to continue trying to give him time outside the cage (with only Kate in the room). Make him a cage bird....but then I think another home would be happier for him...but NOW I think he is so shy and sensitive and I don't know if I would ever find someone I trusted enough to take him.

What are suggestings on how to get everyone happy? Is my idea of having the birds free unrealistic with multiple adults?

Kate has adjusted so well. Just not Ben. He is so sweet and curious, and I really feel like he is starting to trust ME. It shouldn't have been Steve to grab him, but he doesn't think they will teach themselves to step up. Of course I disagree. Lol. Kate took food from my hand. Improvement. I'm ok waiting forever. I'm certain Ben likes me and that will only grow. But I need him to feel safe and settle.

For whats it worth, it isn't chaotic here. The free birds want to see Ben. They will all go to his cage and whoever goes there tries fighting him through the cage. Ben's cage is beside the window, so he isn't sitting in the dark alone. I have wanted to bring him out with me in a budgie cage. I could carry him room to room but then I could protect him more. It's the harassment that I am saving him from...but now I definitely don't want to grab him to put him in a different cage.

What's the best option for Ben? He is loved already and I am certain with time I can absolutely help him come out of his shell a little, even if it's just to be ok with me. Animals are WAY better than people. No fake. They will bite and they tell you they will! No secrets. Lol I so appreciate real.

Once the birds wake up I will post our morning routine in a viedo and people can judge how the other birds are. I really feel like they are all happy, except for Ben. Normally, I think he is happy. He is talkative and curious. Always hangs upside down to talk with me! He's just a little character and he's curious of his new food giver. Lol

I am confident that "I" am good for Ben. I won't and don't push him. I do reach in everyday to be his friend. He let's the aura around my finger touch his and then runs. Lol But then he turns around, comes closer to my hand again, and starts chatting. I only do that once to him and then continue giving him his space. And I will only try to touch him if we have been chatting for a bit and I can tell he's settled. So never when the other birds are in the room.
Steve will not touch him anymore, but I still need $250 to legally own him. Lol or anther tantrum, but I can't walk on anymore broken toes...

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Ben and Kate have a breeding box. Should they be moved elsewhere and Kate stays with Ben? Can she hang out with the other birds or should she only stay with Ben?

As for the cages, they all seem very close in size if you turned the tall cages sideways. Tall cages are easier in the small room and they are free most of the time so I didn't think about space much. They all have way bigger than recommended size at the pet store or a breeder bird life, so I assumed they would also be content with the space.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So you have a breeder box in a cage that used to belong to Toby and Eliza?

So basically they could see that cage as theirs, and even if they don't, there is a resource in there they want - a spot to make babies. That is worth fighting for. The nesting box has to go. If you have others available too, they also need to go.

I've actually only had 1 out of 5 birds like having their cage on front of the window. For a lot of birds it makes them feel stressed out because they feel vulnerable from all 4 sides, especially if they are caged alone. I would see if he does better with a wall or corner so he can monitor less area to feel secure.

His episodes are absolutely caused by stress. That type of stress he is being put through could kill him. Capture myopathy isn't Out the realm of possibility with the symptoms you specify.

I don't know what is best for Ben other than not grabbing him, giving him a safe place and removing stress

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Omg that crushed my heart.

I heard someone, so I will upload a video of their room and everyone in the mornings. Please watch them and give me your opinions.

The last thing I want is to stress him. I feel like I keep finding ways to reduce stress for him.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
So you have a breeder box in a cage that used to belong to Toby and Eliza?

So basically they could see that cage as theirs, and even if they don't, there is a resource in there they want - a spot to make babies. That is worth fighting for. The nesting box has to go. If you have others available too, they also need to go.

I've actually only had 1 out of 5 birds like having their cage on front of the window. For a lot of birds it makes them feel stressed out because they feel vulnerable from all 4 sides, especially if they are caged alone. I would see if he does better with a wall or corner so he can monitor less area to feel secure.

His episodes are absolutely caused by stress. That type of stress he is being put through could kill him. Capture myopathy isn't Out the realm of possibility with the symptoms you specify.

I don't know what is best for Ben other than not grabbing him, giving him a safe place and removing stress
No breeding box for Toby and Eliza. Only Ben and Kate.

I can not get the videos to post!

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
All my life problems on the internet...but it's for Ben....lol so here it goes...

I don't want to breed. Researching conures I've learned I'm not ready to be a bird mom yet. I was a cat mom for years and I'd just rather things take care of their own basic needs for a while. BUT my bf, Steve does want breed.

There's the problem. His birds. He is going to breed them. I can't stop him. I am pig-headed, but he is worse. Lol, Most times I can't get into his logic with them. They are life, not a dollar sign....

So for my sanity, I research (conures in general) and give him pointers or suggestions BECAUSE if I am here and it's happening... it will be done right (based on my research) and everybody will be loved. We agreed to have me help, I do the adoptions and they will not go to the first who gives me money and WE WILL refund money and take them back if its the wrong fit. Steve thinks that's the new owner's problem. I agree, but I will know that the baby and my heart will make me pay if I think it's not happy....ESPECIALLY IF I CREATED IT!

I hate to be honest sometimes, but in Steve's eye Toby is the "worst" bird because of his colour!!! Ben has Suncheek genes so the possibility of producing pretty babies is better, making Ben a more valuable bird to him.

Steve, very very, unfortunately, was ok letting Toby and Eliza breed "because different hatches shouldn't be a big deal".I had the tantrum said we were breaking up, flipped my lid, but absolutely was not participating in that and I 100% would leave when he was out, steal them. So then came the babies to split up Toby and Eliza. I am not connecting my name with broken animals unless I've found them like that and fixed them!

Honestly, I thought the babies would be enough because they are young and friendly..but Ginger is his love and too young to breed. Enter Ben and Kate.

Believe me, I see the wrong in my story..I managed an SPCA and then ran a rescue out of my home. This is causing a moral dilemma for me. I am not a breeder or an animal hoarder. I am a rescuer. Hence my tantrums. Lol

I thought maybe Ben had a heart condition and Steve was STILL ok letting him breed and pass on whatever to the babies. I flipped again. Because that is so freaking ridiculous, but it was based on my feelings.

I am confident that when and if babies come I personal have the ability to care for them and they will be loved. I also pride myself on my adoption abilities. If you aren't happy, please give my friend back and have all your money back PLUS money for whatever you have purchased. I have life long friends from my adoptions. It truly is the animals best interest with me.

If I participate in this even though I feel I am being forced..everyone wins, kinda. Or at the very least, an uneducated conure owner who loves making animals healthy and happy participates.

Steve isn't a bad guy. His views are "fit in or flock off", whereas I am lead by my heart and feelings. He's had a jerk indoor cat for 12 years who clearly loves his dad. But I turn into a rabid pitbull if I don't agree with animal treatment because they don't have a voice and I am little too. Steve is always like a rabid pitbull if you don't agree with him. I'm not scared of rabid pit bulls. Lol

So major conflict when it comes to views on bird care here. We are both power trippers, except they are HIS birds .

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
The more people who agree with my theories the happier birds I will have. I can't unload videos but the 4, plus almost Kate are happy. They mostly trust each other, but they are all still figuring each other out. Most days there are no issues.

And yes, Ben and Kate live in Toby and Eliza's original cage that now has a breeding box.

No breeding box for anyone else. Eliza would accept Freddy now but Toby is the one who wants to breed. I think based on my research birds.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. I can see how this problem is evolving. The pics you posted are showing your room and cage setup can be causing the problem. I see it from the birds point of view. Ben is alone in a cage draped with a curtain and the other five are free to go near him when they choose. Ben may not be high in the pecking order and Kate probably is, hence she is holding her own. Birds can tell. So, Ben has nowhere to go and if you look at it from a new kid at school perspective, he is being ostracized and attacked. Kate is the only familiar thing Ben has and she is not there for him.

They haven't had enough time to adjust and your other birds are doing what comes natural. If it were me I would keep Ben and Kate in their cage for a while longer, giving them all time to settle down and Bens mental health to improve. Not only has Ben been uprooted from what he knew before you but he is also having to deal with you being strange and the bird bullies. I feel his pain. With Kate out he has no protection and they are flock birds. He doesn't see you guys as safe yet.

I would probably give Ben and Kate time out of the cage alone and then lock them away when the others have time out. In fact I would possibly leave them in their cage for a couple more weeks, it won't hurt them. I would also roll their cage next to one of the other cages - move them to the other wall. Bring the alpa birds cage to where Bens cage is now. Give them time with the other birds next to them. I think they need much more time to acclimatise as I said. Hope it all settles down soon. :)
Oh, if they attack him through the bars -I imagine that's why you draped the curtain - then you may need to change their location until he feels safe with you, one on one. All he sees is you have put him in this predicament and are part of the problem to be endured. It is pretty easy to fix. Hope all goes well. :)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
I forgot to add that if you watch birds roosting in the wild, in a tree, there is always a fight for the higher branches. They will land then be told to fly away if they are on the wrong one or in the wrong order. The underdogs are usually at the ends or the lower branches and there is always a couple who sleep alone. In our homes they can't get away and that's where the trouble lays. The lack of places to perch is why we have more than one play station during the day. The cage tops are territory so don't really count.