• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shes terrified

LilithPaige

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I rescused a cockatiel from a terrible situation. Up until I brought her home a few weeks ago, she had lived the last year+ (they couldn't remember) in a cat carrier on someone's coffee table. I got her home and got her into a cage in a quiet area. After watching her for awhile I realized she has no strength to fly, she had no idea how to get up to a perch and is generally terrified of hands.

The first day I put her food and water at the bottom of the cage and she ate and drank a LOT , I slowly moved the bowls up a few inches each day after, and by the end of the week she had conquered climbing up to a perch.

The issue now is she seems afraid to get back down or move off the perch, I would like to help her but shes still throws herself into fighting stance anytime my hands go near the cage. I fully understand its going to take a long time to get her to trust me, and that's okay, but if anyone has any experience with a situation like this and have any tips, I would love to hear them.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Hi there! I’m sure someone with experience will be able to help you- there are so many knowledgeable, helpful bird lovers here! You’ve definitely come to the right place :)
I just wanted to say thank you for stepping in to give this baby a better life. You’re on the right track slowly offering her “bird appropriate” items. I can’t understand how someone would have a bird without so much as a bird cage???!! This poor baby has had a terrible experience with people thus far, it’s understandable why she’s scared to death. Hopefully in time she’ll see you are trying to help her and give her a better life. Birds are much smarter than most people give them credit for.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its going to take a long time for this bird to be comfortable with a human. You need lots of patience and low expectations. At least she is eating. Try to be relaxed around her, play music and it may help to gently place the flat of your hand on the outside of the cage a few times per day until she seems better with exposure to hands. Good luck and thank you for rescuing her from drastic conditions.

LilithPaige

I have an aviary full of English budgies , and just a bit ago I heard her whistling in response to their chatter, so that made my heart melt a little. I am just trying to tread lightly with her because I don't want to traumatize her more than she already is. I will definitely try the hand on the cage thing, I really dont really ever expect to be able to handle her, just dont want her to have panic attacks everytime I need to tend to her cage.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Moving the bowls is obviously effective. What if you take just one bowl and slowly reverse the process until water is by the perch and food is on the floor (or vice versa)? She'll have to move a bit to go from one to the other, which should help her unfreeze AND begin to build some muscle.

LilithPaige

that's brilliant! I'll give that a try

Moving the bowls is obviously effective. What if you take just one bowl and slowly reverse the process until water is by the perch and food is on the floor (or vice versa)? She'll have to move a bit to go from one to the other, which should help her unfreeze AND begin to build some muscle.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping her. Also, if she's really scared, you can try covering the cage on three sides just leaving the front open until she settles in more. That way she doesn't have to be on alert for "danger" on all four sides.