• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sherbet & Charlie

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Sherbet (yellow coloured) and Charlie (grey and the silhouette pic) had their 1st fly around the living room today. Charlie done well as he was brought up in the aviary. Sherbet struggled getting the lift. I got her a few weeks ago hence holding off on letting them out.

Im hoping she will get her strength as it was very clear she was not used to having such a large space to fly around. Despite her navigation she was incredibly quick once she got the idea and she done a fancy move back into their cage..well done Sherbet. I had to catch Charlie as he was being a bit dippy but he is so laid back it didnt take a second to pop him back.

@sheeluhwhet
Sherbet reminds me of Peeps IMG_3003.JPG IMG_3002.JPG IMG_3004-1.jpg IMG_3000cut2.jpg IMG_2989.JPG

suparnovajuice

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Sherbert looks very inquisitive . I really miss having a canary. Do you hope they will have chicks?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Sherbet!! :swoon: they're both so cute!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Sherbet and Charlie are so cute! :D and Sherbet and Peeps do look very similar, such a lovely bird. I love the fuzzy part above her beak, she looks so fluffy! She'll get used to flying around in no time :)
:ycanary::ycanary:

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Sherbert looks very inquisitive . I really miss having a canary. Do you hope they will have chicks?
Hi. She is inquisitive and seems very switched on. There is that special something about the canary isnt there. What species of bird do you have now? I have worked with only a few different species..all completely different from the next.

I am hoping they will be happy and produce young next year. If they dont get on that way I will release Sherbet into the aviary but they seem happy. They have their quirks already. Charlie hogs the seeds and Sherbet hogs the bath ..very amusing typical female hey. Charlie my little fella is a white ground colour and Sherbet is so pale Im hoping for some intesting colours if it happens.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Sherbet!! :swoon: they're both so cute!
They are both too cute. I do have a soft spot for my Charlie. .he is from this years young. His father is a Blue and they are both of the laid back nature. Will try to get some more of Charlie. Sherbet has been timid but slowly getting curious and cheeky.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Sherbet and Charlie are so cute! :D and Sherbet and Peeps do look very similar, such a lovely bird. I love the fuzzy part above her beak, she looks so fluffy! She'll get used to flying around in no time :)
:ycanary::ycanary:
Sherbet does seem longer than Charlie. .longer leg too bless her. I was amazed how she flew into her cage..blimey. after a few false starts she whizzed in an aerobatic fashion..I must of sat with my mouth open lol. Told her she was a good girl. She just sat so still after ..waiting for her Charlie

WillowNMurphy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
This might sound a bit dumb, but what are Peeps? I don’t think we have them, whatever they are, here.

suparnovajuice

Avenue Veteran
Hi. She is inquisitive and seems very switched on. There is that special something about the canary isnt there. What species of bird do you have now? I have worked with only a few different species..all completely different from the next.

I am hoping they will be happy and produce young next year. If they dont get on that way I will release Sherbet into the aviary but they seem happy. They have their quirks already. Charlie hogs the seeds and Sherbet hogs the bath ..very amusing typical female hey. Charlie my little fella is a white ground colour and Sherbet is so pale Im hoping for some intesting colours if it happens.
Budgies and Bourkes. I found the bourkes were no problem with a canary around, but had to keep an eye on the budgies. Didn't have much luck with my last canary who died way too young (exposure to fumes I think, though the hookbills were all fine) and she was the sweetest bird (would sit on you, play little games like running up my arms and across my shoulders to avoid going back in her cage if she wasn't ready) One day, If I can find a young guaranteed female canary I'd snap her up!

I think they would make beautiful babies so hope it works out for them :)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Budgies and Bourkes. I found the bourkes were no problem with a canary around, but had to keep an eye on the budgies. Didn't have much luck with my last canary who died way too young (exposure to fumes I think, though the hookbills were all fine) and she was the sweetest bird (would sit on you, play little games like running up my arms and across my shoulders to avoid going back in her cage if she wasn't ready) One day, If I can find a young guaranteed female canary I'd snap her up!

I think they would make beautiful babies so hope it works out for them :)
Ive looked after and had Budgies but not heard of Bourkes. ..like i said earlier my experience is limited especially with hard bills. Are Bourkes hard bills? Attach a pic im curious.

Im sorry to hear about your canary. She sounded perfect. The hens are adorable and they do chatter away. 2 of my hens sound like they are scolding me at times :rofl:. One hen sings lovely...definitely a hen because she had 2 lots of chicks.

I hope Charlie and Sherbet get along..Im more of the natural approach..let them choose a partner..bit tricky when they are in a cage and not the aviary. I will see how they are before anything could happen. Sherbet does tend to follow Charlie around which is a good sign.

suparnovajuice

Avenue Veteran
Bourkes are Australian parakeets, about the same size as a budgie, but very laid back and chilled out compared to most budgies. They are supper sweet. These are my first two (sisters) (if the link works, not sure I am doing this right!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gi347drbrj10qa/b2.jpg?raw=1

And this is Eddie, who is only 7 weeks old, and I think a girl:

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkxfm3zqksl7m6t/WP_20180815_20_26_39_Pro.jpg?raw=1

Lol the scolding hens. I love male canary song, but after the first hour or six it really starts to grate on me, they are so persistent, hence why I prefer the girls. I think the only thing I don't miss about having a canary is the mess, so so messy! Much more than my other birds, I don't know how something so small can make so much mess.

Is your aviary outside? I thought about having a canary aviary as well one day but not sure how they do in the UK winter outdoors, I read conflicting answers about it when I search google. I recently finished my aviary and all but one bird refuses to use it. They like the shed but refuse to go outside. Gratitude for you.

Because this is a canary thread I feel like I should now post a pic of my last canary! Here is Ming, around 8 weeks old I think:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbmio1me1x1ifms/Ming.jpg?raw=1

I'm sure Charlie and Sherbert will hit it off, and you will have lots of little charlberts flapping around before you know it!

suparnovajuice

Avenue Veteran
Oh it didn't work, I'm techno-challenged. I'll try attaching instead. First pick are the Bourkie sisters, second the baby Bourkie, and third is my last canary, Ming. b2.jpg WP_20180815_20_26_39_Pro.jpg Ming.jpg