• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She Talks?!

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
It's unmistakable - Indie can say "Pretty Bird!!!!" I'm stunned - I didn't think lovebirds, let alone female ones, let alone one so young could or would talk!

I thought I was just listening for sounds that weren't actually there, as my sister's parrotlet talks so I listen for his words, but Indie came to visit my parents with me this weekend and they both heard it as well as my sister and her husband, so I'm clearly not just hearing things. What a cool thing!!

Does anyone else's lovebird have a phrase or two??

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, they do sometimes talk! The girls seem to be more inclined to do so. Snerky says, “Come here,” but it’s poorly enunciated and sounds like, “Gameer!”, lol. :)

@JaclynBin has a chatty female lovie!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is so cool! Neither of my boys talk or imitate a lot of other sounds. Henkie used to, but not since Tiki died so Maybe he Will start doing it again, and Fëanor has a lot of his Own sounds and somethings I think he imitated.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Their little voices are soooo cute.

My lovie hen, Gem, says a few things as well, though under certain conditions.

She tells Panda "Gimme a kiss" and gets in his face when she wants him to feed her - but usually only in the shower.

"Pretty bird" is a favourite and Panda is catching on to that one too. "Super bird!" and "Whatcha doing?" come out seldomly, and mostly in the mornings when Gem wants to come out of her sleep cage in the closet (Premise for a horror movie - there are literally voices coming from my closet ;)).

They make a few different sounds too. I tried to teach them to "meow", but they can't make the "m" sound so it comes out a bit funny :p Gem can go "achoo!" and I swear she used to mock me when I had a cold :confused:

Gem learned most her words in her first year though, so if there's something you really want your little one to say - maybe repeat it a lot in the early years. :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sherbie says her name really fast "Sherbiesherbiesherbie" and "what is it?". She really excels at mimicking noises better than words. She has tons of boops, toots, whistles, and other silly noises.

Rupert (GCC) is catching on, but doesn't have the same vocal range. There's one where it sounds like he's gravely wounded or in trouble, and he's just trying to fit in and make the same noise we are. :facepalm:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine really only mimic whistles and noises. Luna makes a very good imitation of me clicking my tongue when she wants / is getting pets.

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
None of mine talk, though I wish they did.
I think they have picked up tweets from the birds outside.
Well done on getting her to talk, lovies voices are really cute:)

lovebirb

Meeting neighbors
my lovebird is still pretty young, but he can say his name and has a couple of different laughs he imitates. he has an excellent wolf whistle as well! :roflmao:

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Having a talking bird is the greatest thing. Sometimes, out of the blue, you hear "pretty bird!" and it just makes my day! She's also good at making kissy noises and, I don't know how to describe it but it's the noise you make when you're trying to call an animal over? Like a tick or a click?

I'm working on teaching her more words - my mom would absolutely die if Indie said "popcorn," and I'd love for her to be able to say hello or good morning. I tried super bird for a while, inspired by JaclynBin's Gem, but Indie struggles with the "s" sounds. She can also quack like a duck when she's on the defensive. Too funny!

Maybelline

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maybelline
That's nice if there is a chance a lovebird might talk. My Loki is a suspected female... (s)he tried to imitate me coughing the other day by doing a low chirp... really adorable! <3