• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She Flew!!!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery was clipped before I adopted her by her last owner, who was afraid she would get out. She was very determined to come to me anyway, and decided to be brave enough to fly. I've seen how much she's been wanting to fly, but naturally, she seemed so unsure after being clipped, so this is amazing. She flew quite a ways for a clipped bird too. Right now, she's starting her first big molt and has several wing feathers coming in that still have the sheath around them, so I was very surprised by how far she flew. She couldn't quite make it all the way to me, but she landed safely on the floor. I'm so proud of her! :xflove:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hooray Emery! Can you imagine how unstoppable she'll be when she gets her flights in if she's already learning without them? :fly2:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@faislaq I know, it's so exciting! I can't wait to start indoor flight training with her so she can safely fly through doorways. She was allowed to fledge at least, so I'm sure she's ready to get those flights back in. I tried giving her a spray bath to soften the sheath on those new flight feathers so it would come off sooner for her, but she was not having it under those wings. I'll keep trying though, along with seeing if she'll tolerate a bath. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Give her a shallow pan of water & start vacuuming the room. Not sure why it's so magical but it seems to be a winning combination for lots of birds. Scotty bathes in his water bowl when I vacuum. :rolleyes:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@faislaq Thank you! I will try that. She hates the vacuum on it's own, but maybe the combination of the two will work for her. She's good at making messes, so I need to vacuum again anyway. :hilarious:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@faislaq So I tried the vacuum and pan of water, but Emery was not a fan of the water. She seems to do okay with spray baths, like I said, but I wouldn't say she loves them...just tolerates them at this point. I try giving her a lot of treats to help make it more fun for her, so hopefully in time she will like them more, and will want to get under her wings wet. For now, I think those sheaths on her new flight feathers are just going to have to stay there until she can get them off.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It was worth a shot. :shrug:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - so proud of our Emery Rose! :yah:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good job Emery.

HarriettWulf

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Harriett Wulf
Brilliant job. Can you share her flying pictures with us? My 3.5 years old son loves to watch real images of birds.