• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

she eat only sunflower seed :(

Max83

Walking the driveway
My rescued Lily is 35 years old and eaten only sunflower seed and biscuit for all her life. I tried to offer her a variety of food but she only eat a little bit of carrot, apple and boiled egg.

I think she never stepped up for all her life but she starting to offer me her leg sometimes, like for step up..could she learn something even at this age?

She is a plucker, she's beinghand feed and then leaved in cage for all her life.

You think is possible to get her eat something else with time and patience? ever had a similar experience?

thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, I think with time and patience she can definitely learn. And if she's already eating some carrot and apple that's good. Maybe try birdie bread and you can add some more fruit and vegetables to it?

Max83

Walking the driveway
what is precisely birdie bread? I've found a recipe on the net, is homemade bread with eggs and vegetables seeds and fruit?

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There are a lot of different recipes for birdie bread. If you search here, you can find some too. They also sell packaged birdie bread that you bake. But then you can also add fruits and vegetables to it. I would even add some crushed bird pellets to mine. It's often a good way to get birds to eat vegetables, etc that they normally wouldn't.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Also try some soaked grains, like kamut, millet, wheat berries, spelt. Here is what I do for soaking, I use Bob's Red Mill grains, I put 1cup of grains into a strainer and rinse with water several times. In a big pot, I put 3-4 cups of water and the grains. I bring the pot to a rolling boil, boil for 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let sit for several hours. You'll know when it right texture when you taste a few grains, they are chewy and soften. You can store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. There is alot of good advice in feathered food court on this forum.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This forum on AA will help - Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum If you click on the box at the top right and type in birdie bread you should get a listing of threads that talk about birdie bread.

If you don't live in the U.S. it might be harder to find prepackaged mixes.

Max83

Walking the driveway
oh god... ahaha sorry this forum is so big I didn't already notice the section about food!! :bash::D

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
oh god... ahaha sorry this forum is so big I didn't already notice the section about food!! :bash::D
The forum titles are on the left and if you look on the right side of the screen you get a small description of the last post. If you scroll over the title of a thread it gives you an idea of what the thread is about.

You should also check out Enrichment and Foraging Park | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum as it might give you some ideas.

Last edited: