• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( she clipped the new baby

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just caught up on this thread. What an awful breeder - the clip really was the least of the issues here. No judgement from me, and well done for realising that you were in way over your head. I hope this little one finds a caring, knowledgeable home - if it does, it will be despite the breeder rather than because of them.

I hope this experience hasn't put you off birds. If you decide to bring a bird into your life, let us know and we can give you a list of things to look out for at the breeder or rescue, questions to ask them and what you should know about your new companion. A good breeder or rescue will have as many questions for you as you do for them, and they'll be happy to answer any concerns you have.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww Sorry this all ended this way.:sadhug:

Sounds like this ¨breeder¨ is some sort of give-it-a-go backyard hobby breeder. The way they (didn´t) raise that chick, and the way they treated you is awful.

I´m sure it was a hard decision to make, but you did what you thought was best for the bird. I just hope there really is a buyer who knows what they are doing to give that sweet bird a loving home.

Please do update us when you venture out again to bring home your bird.❤

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m really glad you sent the bird back. No judgment here.

I purchased a not-quite-weaned baby lovie once from a really nice couple. The man let me take it home early because “I knew what I was doing.” (His words, not mine)
The bird went to the bottom of the cage, refused to eat anything and the next morning was dead. It would have been much better to take it back, as you did. But I only had their pet store number, not their home number.

berries

Strolling the yard
That really sucks! When i got my tiel as a baby only one wing was clipped, and very badly at that. I had never seen that before. It took almost a year before enough flights grew in for her to be able to actually fly. In the meantime she would try so hard to get into the air and tailspin to the ground. After tge feathers started coming back she was hesitant to fly but I worked with her extensively to rebuild that confidence. Now she's an excellent flyer, so its definitely still possible for the bird to learn to fly despite the terrible clip.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I talked with the breeder and she will take the bird back. I'm just so....argh everything; mad, sad, frustrated, and disappointed. I'm kicking myself for not asking or looking. I just assumed.

I also feel guilty that I don't want to deal with a clipped bird. I just don't think I have what it takes to do so. Baby goes back tomorrow. buh :(
You seem really set on taking the bird back. Lot's of baby's have there wings clipped from a breeder, mine was adopted but came with her wings clipped, and while it is wrong for sure, I don't think it makes the bird any less desirable as a companion. All birds will have there own personality quirks and it just seems a bit worrisome that you're discouraged already without the bird displaying any negative behaviors.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You seem really set on taking the bird back. Lot's of baby's have there wings clipped from a breeder, mine was adopted but came with her wings clipped, and while it is wrong for sure, I don't think it makes the bird any less desirable as a companion. All birds will have there own personality quirks and it just seems a bit worrisome that you're discouraged already without the bird displaying any negative behaviors.
This is a thread from July. The poster has already made their decision.

If you read the second and third page, you'll see that the young bird was younger than initially thought, hadn't been fully weaned and wasn't eating in their new home. This was a much bigger issue.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
My breeder clipped my conure babies' wings. They are almost 10 months old now and Faith is flying great. Hope is getting her flight feathers, but is the Princess and waits to be taken from here to there. I think it helped us all bond them not flying at first. But that is just my take.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I know this is an old thread but I’m horrified by what this breeder did to melissa68. Every young bird that came to my home regressed and wanted to be hand fed. Even those who had been weaned for a few weeks! What do you do with a baby that regresses and hasn’t been hand fed ??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What do you do with a baby that regresses and hasn’t been hand fed ??
If they don´t take to hand feeding and that have stopped eating, it could result in being need to be gavage fed to keep them alive, whilst offering an aray of foods in the hope they eat :(

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
If they don´t take to hand feeding and that have stopped eating, it could result in being need to be gavage fed to keep them alive, whilst offering an aray of foods in the hope they eat :(
Yikes that would be awful