• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sharp-shinned hawk

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
This adult Sharp-shin was hanging out in our yard this afternoon. It's one of a pair that nest in one of our trees. I wasn't sure until now that they were Sharp-shins, and not Cooper's. Looking at these pics, though, the head is not square enough, the grey cap extends down the nape of the neck (a Cooper's would have an obvious white separation), and it is much smaller than the Cooper's we have in this area. Oh, and it has that nice square tail.

Last edited:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh wow that’s kinda odd to see this post because today I found a hawk that looks just like that in front of our house. It looked like it had been attacked. It was deceased in our front yard :sad5: I figured it looked like a hawk but I didn’t know what kind.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous. Those sharp, long nails look very threatening.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
It is a gorgeous bird. Made me sad to see it that way

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Cool! Nice photos!

Yeah, it can be hard to differentiate between the two at first bc they’re so similar. But once you see both in person, it’s very clear.

I have Cooper’s hawks nesting across my alley, and they look very robust with big heads compared to sharp-shinned hawks.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have had a sharpshinned hawk hanging around the last couple of days hope he moves on pretty soon

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Good to know how to tell them and Cooper's apart! We have a few Cooper's around our neighborhood and they always fly in and out between the houses. One flew right over my head between the houses once! They're quite the aerial acrobats.