• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Share knowledge of female lovies? :D

Emmitot

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

I have two lovebirds; Mango & Kiwi. Mango (f) is my wonderful companion with an enormous personality! Kiwi is a lovely, calm male lovie who is so very different to Mango.
As a little girl, I've always had a variety of birds around me and in my home when growing up.

However, this is my first experience with a female bird! We have always had male birds (cockatoos, african greys, conures, budgies, cockatiels, hawkhead, yellow thighed caiques & green jardine).

I would love to read everyone's knowledge and experience of female lovebirds, as I feel I am out of my depth with my one sometimes!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have two peach faced female loves. And their mates. Females need to be respected and have their territory established early on in my experience. If your bird has picked something she wants to keep .... its hers. :p

My birds haven't bitne, so, I don't know what your bird will do. Loves have this reputation.... but I don't know.

My favorite memory of Harley is her 'purring' after a bath. Oz was the first to perch for me....

AussietheLovie

Moving in
I inherited my lovie hen. She's definitely shown me that you can have a wonderful pet without a ton of 'cuddly' behavior- she doesn't tolerate touching, but this certainly isn't a characteristic of female lovebirds. She simply wasn't petted or touched when she was young, and now has little interest in it.

One thing I have noticed in females is the difference in behavior when mating season (or any accidental hormonal triggers) come into play. She becomes extremely protective of whatever she may perceive as her territory- her cage, playstand, and about half of my bathroom. This has resulted in my getting nipped more often than with other birds I've had. I have to move at her pace and within her 'bubble.' While this is true of all parrots, her bubble of personal space is significantly larger than that of other birds I've owned. She needs her space to be respected, and when it's not, I certainly pay a price. I only get bitten when I ignore her signals, though. She always lets me know before I overstep my bounds.

Overall, she's a stubborn little thing, and loves to tear her toys to shreds. She doesn't like to cuddle, but absolutely adores riding on my shoulder around the house for hours. She'll sing to herself, and scream when I won't give her something that she wants. Usually, that can be remedied by giving her something else, instead. This morning she wanted my coffee- of course she can't have coffee, but another mug filled with water did the trick.

She's the most ridiculous bird I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.