• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shaping Change in our Parrots World (FB)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The Animal Behavior Center, LLC at The Animal Behavior Center, LLC.
· 22 hrs ·
Shaping change in our animals' environments. One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give to any animal caretaker, is keep your animal used to change. This needs to be done at the animal's pace, not our assumptions of what they should be comfortable with. This involves shaping - reinforcing small approximations to the changing environment. Yesterday in The Parrot Project, I did a live-stream showing how we introduced a new perch into Koko's cage. This could be a very stress...ful situation to Koko, especially since he is a prey animal, has something installed overhead, and based on behavior, doesn't have a history of change within his enclosure or immediate environments, at least not at his pace. We are working on shaping change within his enclosure and pairing it with positive experiences and will continue to keep this moving forward to empower his future.

See More

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I want to add that parrots do love routines so any change can be stressful to them. Go slowly with gentleness.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Good advice!