• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Shadow's Cage is all ready!

Alex S.

Moving in
Real Name
AS
Countdown to pick up Shadow begins :dance5:. We set up his cage last night - we weren't expecting it to be this.. pink(?) but it actually really suits our apartment colour scheme so it works!

Wondering if you think we have enough toys?? We have a couple more we didn't hang in yet, I didn't want to make it too cramped. And we do plan to buy 2 or so more perches.

Also, is there any consensus on how caiques prefer to sleep? Should we get one of those fabric hanging birdie caves, or are perches sufficient?

Latest pic the breeder sent us :heart::xflove:

Attachments

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
OMG - such cuteness.
I, myself, would add more toys but around the sides of the cage.
I just hang them on the side.
Your birdie will let you know what he/she wants.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Looks great! I wouldn't add too much at first. I would get rid of the dowel perch completely, though. Many of those toys were in my initial set up, too! Mine also love their basket of foot toys that hangs from the side of the cage, too. As he grows you'll want to add foraging toys, too! He looks super happy to be coming home soon!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute Caique.
Is the cage the sandstone color? I remember reading somewhere that it does have a pinkish tone.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
Mine sleep on perches in seperate sleeping cages. I'm not a fan of any fabric huts (too many horror stories). Some people use large cardboard tubes, but I think that anything like that can encourage nesting behavior in the future and can lead to negative results.

Alex S.

Moving in
Real Name
AS
OMG - such cuteness.
I, myself, would add more toys but around the sides of the cage.
I just hang them on the side.
Your birdie will let you know what he/she wants.
Thanks for the advice!!

Cute Caique.
Is the cage the sandstone color? I remember reading somewhere that it does have a pinkish tone.
Yep sandstone! It definitely looks a lot more muted in their stock photos but it's definitely pink haha.

Mine sleep on perches in seperate sleeping cages. I'm not a fan of any fabric huts (too many horror stories). Some people use large cardboard tubes, but I think that anything like that can encourage nesting behavior in the future and can lead to negative results.
Thanks for all the tips! Especially the zip ties - definitely stocking up on those. I have read a ton of the experiences on here with mature, hormonal caiques so we definitely want to try our best not to do anything to encourage a potential negative behaviour. Will definitely keep that in mind!

Freddie sleeps in his tent-sack every night. Looks really cute by the way1
AWWW Freddie looks so cuteee :xflove::xflove:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would look at adding a night cage, maybe in your bedroom. That way he spends less time in the day cage. He will like sleeping with you nearby. It will also be good for you as you can control his sleep schedule. Always have fresh water in the night cage available. My birds all sleep in night cages near the master bedroom (except for one gcc who refuses). They sleep 8-9 hours a night. I do not like to leave them in the night cages too long. I take them out when I get up or when they start calling for me. Two have happy huts that they sleep in and one has a bird buddy she cuddles up against. I am okay with the happy huts as they are near me and I can hear if anything happens at night. I also check for loose thread.