• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sexing by beak Indian Ringneck

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I recently got an Indian Ringneck and was wondering if the color above the beak could be an indicator of the sex. This is my new baby Kiwi. The seller says he/she is 11 weeks old. Sorry the pic is so huge...I don't know how to resize it on the forum. Do all young Ringnecks have a light color directly above the beak or could this be an indicator?

alicat

Real Name
Ali
I think at that young of naked age it's impossible to tell, but I'm not positive. They start to develop a ring closer to sexual maturity if they're male though.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I was trying to figure out if there was another way other than waiting for the ring or DNA testing. My husband mentioned the area above Kiwi's beak was very light and it may be a sign of being a female.

Rolanda

I have a Moustache Parakeet which is a 'cousin' to the Ring Neck. Both the bird store where I got him and the Avian Vet told me that another way (though no where near as fool proof!) to, possibly, tell with my bird was that the males have flatter brows/foreheads than the females. Our little baby appears to be a male judging from that, they both said.
Here's a pic of our Baby Beaks. (I realize now that he looks quite different than a Ring neck though.)
It could be totally different for a ring neck. I'm just trying to help a little.:blink:o_O

Attachments

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Funny, I have heard that males have a squarer head (I laugh every time I say that). Kiwi has a odd furrowed brow area. Baby beaks is really cute.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Juveniles all have lighter beaks than mature irns. It will darken up.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thanks for the info

Rolanda

Funny, I have heard that males have a squarer head (I laugh every time I say that). Kiwi has a odd furrowed brow area. Baby beaks is really cute.

Thank you! Hes a sweet baby... but moody. My 7 year old named him... It has turned into me calling him "Beaksey" ... My mind always flashes to a 1930's gangster... Beaksey Seagull. LOL:wacky:

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
I just bought a baby IRN and just paid for DNA results. They were inexpensive and came in less than 2 weeks. With the knowing for me.