• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Severe Liver disease in my 8 yr old bluefront

Sasha19

Moving in
my 8 year old Sasha was diagnosed with both chronic and acute liver disease today. Her liver function tests were extremely elevated I took her to a aviary veterinarian. I am devastated to say the least . We Will slowly elimate the seeds and replace with pellets and only giving green veggies which I have given in the past but her food obviously was high in fat
She has started milk thistle today which I am directly giving her with the syringe which she's mad at me already. She is also on doxycycline , which I have to break open the capsule and put in her water but she didn't even get her first dose because she's not drinking the water to get the doxycycline should I sprinkle it on her food? And I heard aloe is a good detox for the liver any recommendations where I can buy this with the dosages and any other recommendations to possibly reverse this

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't give up giving the Milk Thistle by syringe - I've been giving my bird MT by syringe for 15 years. Her liver is damaged from Asper medication. Syringe is the only way you know they are getting the right amount. She can be mad at you or dead. I personally don't use aloe for anything - I don't like the stuff. Maybe an aloe fan can come along and give you some help.

Absolutely keep her diet low fat and low protein.

Why wasn't Sasha given an injection of Doxy. There are injections that last 10 - 14 days and are much better than in the water.

What kind of bird is Sasha?

Sasha19

Moving in
8 year old Blue frontI'm wondering about the doxy. We are waiting for the Chlamydia test. She has a fat belly ? Fatty tumor.

Sasha19

Moving in
Her liver enzymes are > 2000 and the high range is 350
He bile level is very high also. I'm devastated
I'm glad your birds are ok. I appreciate someone replying. Do you think I can give the doxy with babyfood sweet potatoes in a syringe?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a bird on milk thistle also, by syringe. Can you ask the vet how much sterile water or juice to add to a doxycycline pill and give that by syringe too, just to make sure she's getting it?!

Sasha19

Moving in
Thank you She's not happy but she's in Dire straits

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Do you think I can give the doxy with babyfood sweet potatoes in a syringe?
Yes, you can mix it with baby food, as long as it has no garlic, onion. Don't mix it in dairy either. Juice would work well, I find cranberry masks the bitter antibiotic taste

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry....

I hope others answer that can help you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about your BFA. Aloe detox has been found to be beneficial with liver issues. Check with your vet before using this, though. Here is an article about liver disease: Liver Disease / Fatty Liver in Birds
Here is an article about using herbs with birds including info about aloe detox: Liver Disease / Fatty Liver in Birds
Lily of the Desert is the company that makes aloe detox. Aloe Herbal Detox Formula - Lily of the Desert
There's also an aloe 80 detoxifying formula but don't see that on their website any more.
Aloe detox was beneficial for one of my birds with SEVERE liver damage. I only added a few drops to her water daily.
Hoping that your BFA gets better.

Don't know where you are located but you can buy aloe detox at Amazon. Have also found it for sale at some health food stores.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I have no experience with liver disease, so nothing to add there. I just wanted to say I hope Sasha gets better soon. 8 seems so very young to have those kinds of problems:( but her young age may also help lead her to a full recovery!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Liver can regenerate if given enough time. Sending positive thoughts your way for Sasha.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you She's not happy but she's in Dire straits
Hank (deceased) had AST values above 3000 one time during his treatment for Aspergillosis. He was taken off the medications and greatly supported for liver failure. He lived another 12 years with constant Milk Thistle and dietary support. Hank died in 2012 of a carcinoid thyroid tumor. My Jasper has a damaged liver, though not to the extent that Hank's was. She still gets Milk Thistle and SAMe to support her liver function. Twelve years after diagnosis.

Never give up!

Sasha19

Moving in
I'm sorry to hear of Hank 's passing

What is SAMe mad where can I purchase?
Thank you

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is some information about SAMe. It can be purchased over the counter - BUT DON'T - the SAMe I give Jasper is compounded for her and doesn't have some of the ingredients that human SAMe has.

SAMe: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Thank you - Hank died four years ago on the 28th of this month. I've almost gotten over it - NOT.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw so this is a human medicine that the veterinarians can compound for a bird that weighs an itsy bit of our weight?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Clueless - Most of the medications that we give our birds are human meds. For example Jasper has been on Benazipril for many years for her CHF. The same medication that is given to human CHF/high blood pressure patients. They are the same, but compounded at a bird's weight and many of the additives to humans are left out.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless - Most of the medications that we give our birds are human meds. For example Jasper has been on Benazipril for many years for her CHF. The same medication that is given to human CHF/high blood pressure patients. They are the same, but compounded at a bird's weight and many of the additives to humans are left out.
Good to know they LEAVE OUT some additives.

My little Lhasa Apso (spelling?) was on heart medication (same kind my mom was placed on later in life). I didn't tell mom that my dog had taken that.....