• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Setting up the cage ...

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
I am getting the cage set up for my new baby; I will be getting her Saturday. (She is still lacking a name.) I have a couple of those rope perches for her, but am wondering whether I need perches right at the side of the food dishes for her to eat and drink comfortably. Also, one of the perches is a dragonwood perch, with a 1.5 inch diameter. Is that too big for a GCC?

I bought several toys for the cage (mostly from Drs Foster and Smith), and a few foot toys as well. I realize that this is pretty much hit or miss, as I don't know what her preferences for toys are. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Anne

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
1.5 in is pretty big for a GCC but guess they can tand on it but they can't wrap their toes around it. Some GCC's are smaller too so ideal should be 3/4 to 1 inch for all around use. A perch need food/water bowls is useful.

Have to watch rope perches as they can fray, nails can get caught & birds c an ingest string.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My birds always just perch on the food bowl regardless, so I stopped putting them right next to the food dishes. I love thick perches personally; I have 1.5 inch birch ones for my quakers right now and they adore them. I would prefer to go too big than too small. As long as their is variations so their feet grip at different degrees throughout the day, they should be fine.

My green cheek loved balsa, 1/8" pine, finger traps, and vine. She was one of the main inspirations for my shop since she really only liked a couple of the Big Pet Store toys!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The majority of my toys are cheekie tested and liked since I have a few. I think if you look at the things used to make those, you can shop around fairly easily.

I have a few that like to lick beads and stainless steel things.

A few that love the small leather knots on toys by tnt.

A few that like soft woods like balsa or thin snippy pine.

Puffs (cupcake papers) are generally well received by most.

Planet pleasure toys might be a first choice going through places like foster and smith.

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
I like using natural wood perches. I pick up different types of fallen branches, put them in the oven for half an hour to an hour on bake.(350°) depending on size and moisture. Then you can cut grooves into one or both of the side, or if you find a lucky branch it can fit between the bars or balance on a perch.

Cooking the branch first is very important. (for us and them) But the bark and the natural wood is free and fun to destroy.

Bird has had the branch in the picture for years. It has a perfect bulge and is like a see-saw. He loves it. And it cleans much easier than the wooden dowels.

Some branches get tossed after a week. Trial and error with no $ spent.
1527279957537558326112.jpg

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jaden has rope perches, natural wood perches and a platform. Although the main perch is near a food and water dish he generally just perches on the side of the dishes. Consider adding a ladder/ladders and a swing (if the baby is OK with using those right now).