• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures setting up for egg sitting for Sweet Pea HELP!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she laid another egg last night, I got to it b/4 she could break it. so I now have 3 eggs and want to set her up to be nesty as she want to be. I have 2 different sized and shaped dishes, one that is round, one that is square. the round dish I can anchor to her cage with small zip tie. the round dish is shallow.
the square dish can be thrown about and I not fond of it. but it's deep and harder for her to knock the eggs out of it. Which one would you choose?
IMG_0007.JPG
also where to set this "nest box" up in the cage high or low? I am thinking low so that if she tosses the eggs about they may have chance to be nested. where would set the "nest boxes" up in the cage?
IMG_0009.JPG

HELP????

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Does she have a mate ? If not, do you have dummy eggs ?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Has Sweet Pea used either dish as a "nest" before? We tried little dishes like that for Ziggy Tiel (along with nesting material) and she ignored them all. We'd put her eggies in the "nest" and she'd stubbornly roll them out and sit on the eggs while they were on the grate...:shrug:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she has never nested before, because she has laid her eggs from up high and they broke. she does not have mate and I have no dummy eggs either. maybe I should just warm the eggs from frig and put them on paper towel in the bottom of the cage and let her have at it that way.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just an idea...if you get the eggs away from her, hard boil them so they're more resistant to breaking, then return them to her...

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
When my tiel Lily was laying - she just preferred a corner of her cage. I just put her eggs on a layer of paper towels. Sweet Pea may not be done yet :(...Lily did not sit on her eggs until she was finished -for her - most of the time it was 3 eggs...but occasionally 5. She tried so hard to get all 5 of them tucked under her...but often one or 2 would roll away from her - she just kept trying.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
They are infertile if she doesn't have a mate so really it doesn't matter what you do with them.
I have a sun conure that lays eggs. At 1st she would just lay them on the bottom of the cage & I would leave them for a few weeks then take them away.
Then we got a male & a nest box the eggs were still infertile :(
We had to rehome the male due to he got very aggressive with her & won't let her eat at all.
Now she still lays the eggs in the nest box but has slowed down on laying them. She likes to sleep in the nest box so we left it for her for now.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
2 of the eggs cracked hard boiling them. DANG IT!!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
2 of the eggs cracked hard boiling them. DANG IT!!!!
:tmsmakesme:

Do you put the eggs in cool water & slowly bring the temperature up to a boil?

Guess you will need to order some dummy eggs. Looks like SP is going to be making a habit of this.
Putting eggs back can help tell her to stop laying.

:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
another egg tonight. she was very quiet about it. so far there has been 3 eggs; one that was broken (deep vertical crack), the other 2 have been hard boiled and are in the frig until we have 3 total. she eating like a horse and I have been adding finely grated almonds (1 almond) for her calcium needs. she hates going to bed at 5:30- 6:00pm. she twitters and chirps softly under her blankies. she sounds so sad.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
another egg tonight. she was very quiet about it. so far there has been 3 eggs; one that was broken (deep vertical crack), the other 2 have been hard boiled and are in the frig until we have 3 total. she eating like a horse and I have been adding finely grated almonds (1 almond) for her calcium needs. she hates going to bed at 5:30- 6:00pm. she twitters and chirps softly under her blankies. she sounds so sad.
Put those eggs back in the cage in plain view so she can see them and be "aware" of them and take interest in them so she know/realizes the clutch is full. Get some dummy eggs because any damaged egg is going to go bad very quickly making it unusable. As soon as there is an egg you should be adding more fakes immediately (especially with cockatiels) because they will lay quite a few so the sooner they see a big clutch the better.

She doesn't need a bowl. The bottom of the cage is fine with "material" to make it acceptable. Paper. A small towel to burrow under etc.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
some one here is sending me some dummy eggs and they should be here this week hopefully. I will put the eggs back in the AM, on paper towel on the bottom grate. she was rolling them around pretty hard so I want to hard boil them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope all is well. Don't you just love lady cockatiel!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
she is being a good sport about this, so far no hard nips and wants to be with me more then her eggies. but I am pretty sure that will change in the coming days.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I didn't want my fids to have to tend eggs on a grate or dirty cage bottom and I tried all sorts of containers but when they tried to stand on the sides of any them, they would flip the whole container over. Eventually I ended up trying a saucer. I offered bedding materials but they preferred it bare.

She's on 7 fake eggs(blurry pics because I had to zoom in from far away for my own safety LOL):

She's so poofy when shes on eggs. :heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
That's the egg defense pose - right after that comes the wing spread & tail fan to scare you away!

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's the egg defense pose - right after that comes the wing spread & tail fan to scare you away!
I stay far back. LOL She will charge the cage door if I get too close when she's sitting. It's pretty intimidating for an animal that weighs only 90gms. :eek: Getting to the water dishes requires cunning and stealth.