• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Serving water not room temp?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Hey everyone.

So I know you are supposed to serve food to your parrot at room temperature, not hot or cold. How about water? In the summer it gets quite hot in Florida so I put ice cubes in Echo's bowl. She also likes playing with the ice cubes in the water. I do notice that she likes to grab and chew on the ice cubes, could she get brain freeze? Could that hurt or numb her tongue in any way?

Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I give Burt frozen grapes in his water and ice cubes sometimes, he loves them. I’ve seen birds eating frozen things out in the wild (obviously in winter time) and figured that if a bird out in the cold can handle cold weather and frozen food then surely a bird who lives indoors can deal with some frozen food while enjoying the inside temperatures of home.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put ice cubes in my fids' water when it's hot out too, and they all love them! Taco especially is a big fan of frozen treats in the summer. I think the room temperature food rule is more to prevent feeding hot food than cold, since feeding something too hot could potentially result in crop burn.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you are fine. My cockatoo likes fresh cold water over water that is room temp. I regularly feed their veggies somewhere between partially thawed and slightly warm. Been doing it for years. The only birds that are likely to actually be sensitive to food temp are hand-feeding babies and sick birds. Taking a huge crop of slushy almost frozen food probably wouldn't be ideal for an adult bird, but moderate amounts are probably fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Never even crossed my mind to try this. They are in the freezer for tomorrow.
Thanks for the idea.

Ohhh Burt loves them as they go a bit squishy.
If they are still frozen when he gets to them he dunks them for a second then squeezes some juice out to drink then dunks again.
I also freeze bits of mandarine, orange, berries etc. for him.
He actually prefers (well eats more) fruit when it’s served this way.
I hope Tinker likes the frozen grapes :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ohhh Burt loves them as they go a bit squishy.
If they are still frozen when he gets to them he dunks them for a second then squeezes some juice out to drink then dunks again.
I also freeze bits of mandarine, orange, berries etc. for him.
He actually prefers (well eats more) fruit when it’s served this way.
I hope Tinker likes the frozen grapes :)

What a great idea!

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I have a Poland Spring water cooler, and Sam will run to his bowl to drink the cold water whenever I change it. He loves it ice cold, even in winter. I guess it is what he is used to. If it gets too warm, he will sit by the water bowl and call me to change it. Either that, or he will bathe in it! LOL

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I have a Poland Spring water cooler, and Sam will run to his bowl to drink the cold water whenever I change it. He loves it ice cold, even in winter. I guess it is what he is used to. If it gets too warm, he will sit by the water bowl and call me to change it. Either that, or he will bathe in it! LOL
How cute!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Isn't this always the way it wks out! :smuggrin:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had a bird that would only eat chop straight from the fridge; he liked it best with a bit of freeze to it still! Never seemed to bother him :lol:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a bird that would only eat chop straight from the fridge; he liked it best with a bit of freeze to it still! Never seemed to bother him :lol:

That's how Buddy & I 1st ate veggies together but I realized he would eat more volume if it was warm. Then :bash:, (I realized) there are no fridges in the wild EXCEPT where the penguins live... Buddy's not a penguin!