• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Serious ant issue need advice ASAP

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry I have no advice with the ants. But if the owner isn't doing anything to help I'd look into your local laws around landlords/tenants. Where I live its up to the landlord to get rid of pests. If its the same where you live you may be entitled to compensation. Best of luck with it :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used Black pepper and created pepper "lines". The don't generally cross the pepper. You can also use cider vinegar diluted with water and spray that at the ants on areas that they frequent.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I'm fighting ants in my bathroom. Since I moved in. They will not go away.

I've tried everything.
I've used the Terro baits before with great success but these guys seem to be very determined.

So if you figure out what works let ME know!!!

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I'm fighting ants in my bathroom. Since I moved in. They will not go away.

I've tried everything.
I've used the Terro baits before with great success but these guys seem to be very determined.

So if you figure out what works let ME know!!!

Just get yourself some of that Sevin. I stopped using the Terro because it was not working here but that Sevin got rid of the and quick.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sevin works but is more toxic and the dust can be an irritant. Diatomaceous earth is safe even if the fids or kids or dogs eat it. I watched the exterminator and he used DE for our ant problem (in Florida you always have ants) so I let him go and use it myself. They will take it back to the nest so it's not instant, but in less than 24 hr the problem is completely gone.

I also sprinkle a little DE in the under-cage trays from time to time. Just to be sure.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
DE WORKS! I've used it for the last several years, after having had an exterminator for years. :) It works just as well, and it's safe.
NOTE: The stuff is very fine and can get in your lungs, where it will become like wet cement. :( Please wear a mask when spreading it.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also vouch for 7dust. Non toxic to animals, but deadly to insects.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
DE WORKS! I've used it for the last several years, after having had an exterminator for years. :) It works just as well, and it's safe.
NOTE: The stuff is very fine and can get in your lungs, where it will become like wet cement. :( Please wear a mask when spreading it.
I almost got some today but wasn't sure if it was the right kind and saw the warning about breathing it so didn't. Anyone know about this? Was at the hardware store
image.jpeg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I let them come out of the vent in one room to try the liquid and they are lining up like crazy for it. image.jpeg

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
None in the bird room today. Duct tape around the perimeter is working so far and I'm buying petroleum jelly for thre cage legs and to cost the vent with now. Putting a circle of baby powder around that vent and totally removing the duct tape when I get back so they can come out to eat the poison but can't go anywhere

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Got outside traps but saw no ants around the house outside at ground level

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Looking for seven dust now

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the brand of DE I posted is earthy, not a fine dust powder. I had a fine dust type before but it caused breathing problems for Big Scooter

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I almost got some today but wasn't sure if it was the right kind and saw the warning about breathing it so didn't. Anyone know about this? Was at the hardware store
View attachment 239689

Between this stuff and the Terro it will get rid of them. Will take several days but should work great.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
the brand of DE I posted is earthy, not a fine dust powder. I had a fine dust type before but it caused breathing problems for Big Scooter
I'm going to order that when I get home. Checked three places locally and couldn't find any that said food grade. Thanks!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Between this stuff and the Terro it will get rid of them. Will take several days but should work great.
Oh good! I will be so glad when this is over, lol.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Spent more time than I'd like to admit walking around with a flashlight looking for movement and so tired of feeling like things are crawling on me. So gross! They haven't been on me but every hair on my body feels like an ant if something touches it, lol. Totally got the heeby jeebies

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I swear I live on a huge ant mound! We have sandy soil and live in the woods. I have learned to sprinkle the de around the perimeter of the house every spring and do it several times during the summer.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I swear I live on a huge ant mound! We have sandy soil and live in the woods. I have learned to sprinkle the de around the perimeter of the house every spring and do it several times during the summer.
Oh I'm glad to hear you have had success then. Been feeling pretty hopeless here.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Ant control has become a full time job. The suckers are smart too. I swear they see me and start running, lol