• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

separation?

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
My mom has 4 budgies in a 4 ft x 5ft cage and one seems to be getting picked on. I have a cage and looking at pulking him out to keep him from being beat up. He is a jerk and starts it but then the others gang up on him. I am not sure if seperating him is a good idea? I would be taking him home where he would be the only bird. I really wanted a tiel and I am not this bird's favorite person. They squawk when I am talking to people it's kinda funny.

What should I do? What would be best for him?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I shave four budgies in a flight cage but they have their own pair, couldn't you separate them by pair??

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I could try? He beats up on the one I could seperate with(Festus). The other two (Sora and Tessy) are def a pair. But Laddie beats up Festus. I am torn. I never had luck with keets but I dont want him hurt either

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Definitely separate him. Whether just a different cage near the others or take him home, that part is up to you. But then there will be 3 together....3 is usually a bad number.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Separate him ASAP.

Is it a scrap or picking on?? Sometimes cheeks and snow bicker buts it's over before its started and it's not very often, neither is it violent.

@finchly is right 3 is bad in one cage

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I think it's picking? Two chased him to the bottom and stood on him and picked. I was terrified andthey wouldn't stop. I reached in to shoo them away. He went right back to picking at them. It was like smacking my head into a brick wall. He's a bity bird so getting him is proving to be a bloody endever :(

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Darken the room and separate them, is he bleeding?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Get him out of there, ASAP, they are bullies picking and one day you may find him bloodied or dead

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
He isn't bleeding thankfully. I am getting gnawed on and cant get him out. Going to keep trying

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you got a stick he can climb on, can you try with food, don't try and towel him, that will scare him as well as the others and they will definitely bite, big time. Oone more thing, dont try and grab him

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Its very hard with these guys. 3 of them a lady brought in saying "They will be put outside in the next blizzard if you don't take them." And they had been clearly badly mistreated and one passed within a day. This was last winter. Still cant tame them down. We separated one who seemed to have fallen in depression but she is right next to the big cage and is doing well. The throw aways are terribly fearful of people

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have seen a budgie at Petco who was picked on by the gang of budgies. He had a bloody head and was in shock. We did take him to emergency vet but this bird died about 15 min. after arriving at vets. When budgies fight in a gang the one getting picked on should be alone in another cage to recover and settle down. And to stay.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
He will be a lone then. Especially since he started it. I dont even know if its a he... Albino but likes giving dirty shows with his favourite toys? I figured it was a he. I dont want anything to happen to him even though he isnt my bird. He has that jerk (eff all) attitude and I love that about him.

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I got him home in a spacious cage with loads of neat things to do. He is still just kinda sitting and watching. The mating pair had him on the bottom of the cage and beating him up. I pysically broke up the pile and pulled him out then and there and put him in a carrier and took him hone. I am considering on taking the other outcast home so he will have a buddy. She isn't getting beat up and sometimes her and the male will do the mating dance things.

I am not sure if moving the second home will do any good? Or just wait and see? Il

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm SO glad you got him out of there! What about bringing the 2nd home and putting her in a separate cage for a bit to see how they do side by side? GOOD JOB getting him out!

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I will post a picture when I get a good one!! I would love to know if he is a he or a she :) it doesnt bother me but I woyld like to know if is a female because of maybe getting egg bound?

He isn't singing mich but chirps when I am around. He let me pet him and is earing well. He isn't exploring his cage much yet. I am happy to care for him as an only bird I spend all my mornings evenings and days home in that room since its my craft room mostly rather than dinning room

Thoughts?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like he or she is already doing better alone!!! :)

ButterBee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I wanted to update. I was going to take a picture and he is a he- I am 98% sure since his cere is pink- like pastel pink. As pink as his feet lol. Kinda reminds me of piglet lol...that and he came up to me a bit (on the center perch rather than the back) when I was talking. I decided to play parakeet sounds- he chirped a couple times then went back to his squished position on the top of a rope toy and didn't move. I shut it off and gave him space now he is in his millet eating away and not at all nervous. I dunno but I think he likes being the only bird?

Edit: If you guys think I should have him in with nother I will go get Festus right now- she is well adjusted with Sora and Tess but if it's better for Laddie and Festus(Since she isn't in 'the' pair) I will move Festus too.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think I'd keep observing him, and then later on if YOU want another, bring one home. :) So glad he's doing well!