• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Separation

anna

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anna
I have two grays Sunny (female) hatched in 2000 and Twilight (male) hatched in 2005. They get along great and have been in the same cage since 2005. I am very worried as I am getting a divorce and my soon to be ex-husband and I are not sure how to separate or if it's safe to separate the two birds. Sunny is his and she loves him to death and Twilight is mine and feels the same to me, but can these birds live without each other after all this time together? My divorce will will be final at the end of September so do not have a lot of time to figure out this matter

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
but can these birds live without each other after all this time together?
No they can't. They will be so unhappy and sad. And I'm really glad that you asked.
May I suggest that you have shared custody. That will means that you need twice of everything, (the same in both homes) but that is the only solution I can see if no one of you are willing to give them up. And it can also later be so they only want to stay with one of you, you need to be open minded and only think of their happiness.
Another solution is that one of you take the birds and that the other can come visit and take care of the birds when ever he/she wanted. For that you need to be friends.
I understand that this is difficult for you both, but I hope you find a great solution that will make everyone happy. :)

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I'm sorry you're going through this. I would do exactly as Eloy mentions. I woulden't separate the parrots.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Those birds need to stay together. It doesn't matter what you guys want so your emotions about it don't carry any weight. It matters what the birds need.

anna

Checking out the neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
anna
On a good note, my husband and I are separating as friends and so we are looking at what's best for the birds, neither one of us have a problem with the birds staying together our biggest concern was only them all along.. thank you everyone for the advice..

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's a hard call... but the fact will be that your fids may start to self destruct without each other.

Hope it all works out for you and your fids!

God Bless!

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
But sounds like each parrot is very attached to their special person, and they can also not do well when the special person in their life is also gone, they might go through mourning or have behavior problems is they don't have contact with their special person. so if you and your ex can work it out sounds like sharing them might be best.