• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior TAG in Columbus- $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry about this, everybody. I should have been more aggressive in obtaining her by contacting the owner myself right away, & that's MY fault, nobody elses. I really hope whoever bought her loves her for herself, not for flipping her or for hoarding purposes. I have never looked on EBay, CL, hoobly or whatever (for the sake of my heart & my finances), so please if anybody sees something that might be her on one of these sites, let me know ASAP, as I can drive down there now any evening--I'm about 2 1/2 hrs away from Columbus. You've all been so great, & Hubby is impressed by the lengths to which AAr's will go to help save a bird, & also won't ever ask again, 'what's the rush?'
:hug8:Its not your fault April. :hug8: Lets hope they had her best interest at heart. :(

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted this ad: African Grey (Columbus)

Thanks for the warning. :) In my case, I was well aware of these risks, but the potential of losing $300 was worth it to me in this case, to ensure that an elderly parrot would have a chance to live out the end of her life in a decent home.
Very nice CL post Heidrun .. hopefully the new owners will see it. :hug8:

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Sorry to hear the deal did not go through!

Word of warning to those thinking of buying from CL or similar sites, long distance or not: please do NOT send money ahead! That is a good way to lose your money! They may sell out from under you, give a wrong address, or it could be a scam from the start.
I sent the money for Judy, aware of the risks. I use paypal. The legalities of it are no different than buying something off ebay that is to be shipped and paypal has some fraud protection measures in place. It's not 100% safe, but helps minimize the risk.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I got this email from someone who saw my CL posting:

I was also interested in her! Gotta love those older greys! Anyway, I had called yesterday when they were expecting a visit from a potential new family. They called me later to let me know she found a new home and they seemed happy with her new family. They had parrot experience and had 1 grey already. They new family showed them photos of their current birds and home.

So it looks like she found a new home! I really didn’t need to add a new one to my flock but she just pulled at my heart strings for some reason.

That varies from what the seller told me - he said that the new family had three greys already, and that he had confirmed it by going to their house. Iwould feel better if he had told this other interested party the same thing he told me.

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
That does seem very shady. Was there another older African Grey listed recently, maybe? Hopefully this guy didn't just tell you what you wanted to hear.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I doubt that there were two 40+ year old greys sold in Columbus on the same day. :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh, and if anyone sees me lurking in the Rehome section after this, please, please, I beg of you, chase me out with a stick!!! :p
Perhaps we should buddy up and take a stick to each other...:lol:

Daisy_G2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Well then, call his bluff and ask for the new owner's information, saying that you really want the grey and will pay more than he charged - even if that's not the case, then at least he would have to fess up if he was lying.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got this email from someone who saw my CL posting:

I was also interested in her! Gotta love those older greys! Anyway, I had called yesterday when they were expecting a visit from a potential new family. They called me later to let me know she found a new home and they seemed happy with her new family. They had parrot experience and had 1 grey already. They new family showed them photos of their current birds and home.

So it looks like she found a new home! I really didn’t need to add a new one to my flock but she just pulled at my heart strings for some reason.

That varies from what the seller told me - he said that the new family had three greys already, and that he had confirmed it by going to their house. Iwould feel better if he had told this other interested party the same thing he told me.
I'm skeptical that this individual did a home visit. I expect that the person who bought the bird merely told him about his/her other bird(s) (that would be something they'd be likely to volunteer when they picked up the bird), and he passed along information that was a bit embellished. That doesn't mean she didn't go to a good home, though. My thinking is that since he was honest about her age, the chance that she went to someone who really cares about her is fairly good.

Daisy_G2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian

My thinking is that since he was honest about her age, the chance that she went to someone who really cares about her is fairly good.
He wasn't honest about her age, though. In the original ad he said she was 49, then 42. :/

I agree though that the new owners will probably take care of her, since she's older.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He wasn't honest about her age, though. In the original ad he said she was 49, then 42. :/

I agree though that the new owners will probably take care of her, since she's older.

Ah, I see. So, he shaved a few years off, did he? Well, at least he kept it in the 40's, LOL.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Perhaps we should buddy up and take a stick to each other...:lol:
Sounds like a plan!!! :lol:

Well then, call his bluff and ask for the new owner's information, saying that you really want the grey and will pay more than he charged - even if that's not the case, then at least he would have to fess up if he was lying.
Not really - I mean, I would refuse to give out contact information willy nilly without the person's permission; there's no reason he shouldn't simply refuse to give me the info, especially as asking for it would make me seem rather stalkerish.

I'm skeptical that this individual did a home visit. I expect that the person who bought the bird merely told him about his/her other bird(s) (that would be something they'd be likely to volunteer when they picked up the bird), and he passed along information that was a bit embellished. That doesn't mean she didn't go to a good home, though. My thinking is that since he was honest about her age, the chance that she went to someone who really cares about her is fairly good.
Yes, I'm hoping he's simply one of those people who regularly and needlessly embellish.

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:wow:Just jumping in late here in this thread, but :omg:what a persistent group of radical avian advocates we have here :loveit: My hats off to you all. It amazes me how much energy has been placed in this attempt to help this little angel, from the transportation arrangements, to financing suggestions to temporarily housing her. GREAT TEAM EFFORT!!! :highfive:

Btw, I don't think that seven years makes much difference when you are advertising a parrot in their forties. If someone is looking for a younger parrot, they wouldn't have given this one a second look, so the probability is that she went to a caring home that knew she was in her forties and wanted to care for her anyways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.