• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior dog who is agitated, pacing and panting

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Does the baggie have a label the vets office printed to identify it as being co-co's? All Magoo's pills have prescription labels on them. I only took 10 pills as well though as I wasnt sure if it would have a great affect on her, and also her owner wasnt aware I was doing it until after.
I would suggest just giving them a call to find out. Adjusting her dose could be dangerous otherwise, but I know you know that :)
If she told you CoCo could have three a day, your probably using 10 mg, but coco is a chocolate lab right? Thats quite a bit larger than Magoo. Magoo is only 9 kg's. (20 pounds)
so maybe you do have the 20 mg....I dunno! LOL
Yes, Coco is a chocolate lab...about 55 - 60 pounds now that she has lost weight. I was told to start with one pill and see how she does....she said the three allowed might be too much for her as she is already so frail...and they tend to make them groggy.

It does have a label so the dosage might be on there....will check it.

i would assume if i split her dosage of one pill through the day it would be fine as I am not giving more than allowed....?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Dirks is 50 mg twice a day. The doc said that it can interact with the clomicalm, as they both are for the nervous system.

So do you think I should keep giving it?
If he is in pain, but it's not going to help if he is having seizures.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Aw hope he feels better it is tough as they age. I was going to suggest maybe he is in pain as well, have you had any tests run on him to see if anything else could be going on internally?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I don't want to scare you but want to put this out there in case the meds don't work. Seizures can present as almost anything. I have seen seizures that look like what you would imagine the animal lying on the ground shaking, to seizures with the dog coming to find me and then just staring and shaking, to some where the dog (while resource guarding) went into a bizarre slow motion seizure to one where the dog simply wandered around the house non responsive in a daze. All were seizures. The only way to know is to try seizure meds and see if they improve. Something to think about if you don't find any answers or relief with other meds.
Thanks Vicki, just having a chance to respond to this now.
My macaw had seizures, I know what that type looks like, they weren't the shaking seizures, they were more like wilting. I am going to ask the Dr.

Danita, sometimes you just need to adjust and get used to the changes....coco is not the same dog she was years ago...so sad to see and say, but we just make her as comfortable as we can...as long as she is not in pain, we will move forward.:hug8:
I am having a hard time adjusting, I want to fix him :sad1: I call my DH at work all the time in a panic, crying, watching him like this.

Aw hope he feels better it is tough as they age. I was going to suggest maybe he is in pain as well, have you had any tests run on him to see if anything else could be going on internally?
I am going to talk to the Dr. I don't EVER want to know that he is full of cancer and we didn't catch it, to find that he suffered for the last months. My worst fear.

My friend told me it could be his heart too. If he is panting at night, maybe that is it?

I want my dog back :(

He likely isn't nearly as bad as other dogs, like Coco. But anything that shows his age is just terrible to me :(

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thanks Vicki, just having a chance to respond to this now.
My macaw had seizures, I know what that type looks like, they weren't the shaking seizures, they were more like wilting. I am going to ask the Dr.

I am having a hard time adjusting, I want to fix him :sad1: I call my DH at work all the time in a panic, crying, watching him like this.

I am going to talk to the Dr. I don't EVER want to know that he is full of cancer and we didn't catch it, to find that he suffered for the last months. My worst fear.

My friend told me it could be his heart too. If he is panting at night, maybe that is it?

I want my dog back :(

He likely isn't nearly as bad as other dogs, like Coco. But anything that shows his age is just terrible to me :(
Yes, if there is panting then it could be his heart, or something around his heart affecting it. I know it's hard to deal with watching these things go on, but just try to stay calm and do what you can to comfort him when he seems upset. I was just reading your original post again and it sounds like anxiety to me. He might be anxious if there is pain and he is worried about the other animals bumping him or feeling unstable.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe Danita, you know I know your pain....I thought I was losing Coco a month ago...I really thought it was time to let her go. But she seemed to bounce back in her own way...and she is ok...for her age, etc....

I miss the way she was...so full of life and energy, but I still see that spark sometimes. I really do. I know I can't fix her, can't turn back time, but I can accept her for how she is....it is sooo hard....and believe me I cry a lot too....but we get through it. Each morning I check to see if she is breathing...sometimes I won't see her chest rise, so I touch her and breathe a sigh of relief when she jumps....

I did check her dose and it is 50 mg up to three times a day. I am going to continue with the one pill...so far she seems to be doing well with it.....

Danita, :hug8:I am so glad you got that last trip with Dirk before he started having problems....such special memories you will have.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Danita I dont have any advice that hasnt already been given, just wanted to offer my thoughts and prayers for you. I know how much you both love Dirk and I know you will do whatever is in his best interest. Hoping he can stabilize. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.