• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior dog who is agitated, pacing and panting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh and the sedative effects of the clomicalm will wear off soon.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Right now he is on
Salmon Oil
Derramax
Clomicalm
Glucosimine
Eye drops
They said that we shouldn't see the full effects of the Clomicalm for a month. I can see when it wears off, he starts with the pacing and agitation pretty quick.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Right now he is on
Salmon Oil
Derramax
Clomicalm
Glucosimine
Eye drops
They said that we shouldn't see the full effects of the Clomicalm for a month. I can see when it wears off, he starts with the pacing and agitation pretty quick.
Ooh ok so he has been on all of that. It might just be that the Deramaxx is ineffective now. Perhaps switching from the Deramaxx to another pain med might help. It sounds to me like the pacing is because he's hurting. The clomicalm might help him relax a bit. Are you noticing that he's not pacing as much? Or is he just sleeping more?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
He is sleeping like he *used to* but when the pill wears off he is back to pacing and panting. But mostly when only one of us is home. If DH and I are both home he is pretty calm. I am sure it is that he doesn't want to be alone, he isn't alone much at all either.

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
In my experience the clomicalm shouldn't be sedating. If he needs additional pain management in addition to the deramaxx, ask your vet about tramadol. That, combined with NSAIDs, was a godsend for my olders. Best wishes and huge hugs.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Question...all of what you are describing sounds like Dirk is also getting senile..Vet put my dog on DEPRENYL it increases brain concentrations of the neurotransmitter Dopamine..it helps cognitive awareness..it helped my old Boston Alot

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Danita, I have no answers for you, but my heart goes out to you. It is so hard when one of our animals is not feeling well. What is worse is that they can't tell us if they hurt and, if so, where. So, it's a guessiing game. I hope the meds work for him.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I'm a semi retired human nurse and have some experience with people in pain,..I was wondering if you might ask the vet to increase your poor dogs dosage of pain killers? Dirk may just need to take it more frequently or at a higher dose to feel more comfy. His apparent anxiety may actually be his way of expressing his pain and asking you to stop the pain. Pain management in people requires constant juggling to get it right...don't see how dog pain management would be too much different. My heart goes out to you all in your difficult time. I lost a dear old Lab years ago from intractable arthritis..I have some idea of how it feels. Hugs to all of you.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
The poor darling, it seems to be a symptom of pain or some kind of distress. Guess you are working towards giving him some quality to his life, as it is not easy to watch. When our pets have had a wonderful life, and although we never want to part with them, the decision has to be made on the next move to make the pet comfortable. That is the important thing then with age.Quality of life and not quantity. Good luck that you reach the right decision as to what to do for the poor dear.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I know how hard this is. Prayers that the vet can figure out the right meds and dosage to give all of you some peace and security.

Ginger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
You are doing all you can Danita...believe me I know too well what you are going through....:hug8:Coco has been taking glucosomine (now in the form of glyco flex III) ever since her crucitate ligament surgery when she was about seven...I swear this stuff has helped her stay with me this long. Roxi is not taking it too...she will be 13 this month and even though she is not showing many signs of aging, I am sure it will help her down the road.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
honey, my heart goes out to you and to your old doggie..:hug8:

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
Those symptoms sound similiar to what 2 of my dogs started doing when they each reached about 14 years. They were diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and I put them both on Anipryl. This did give them both some improvement especially with the anxiety signs they were showing. I did eventually have to put them to sleep due to other health problems, but I was glad I was able to give them some relief and normalcy due to the meds.

Here's another link with info-http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

With my second dog, they had come out with a generic version of the Anipryl which was much cheaper although I had to give 4 tablets rather than one because it only came in one strength. I didn't see a difference between the name brand and the generic and actually saw more improvement with my second dog, I think because it was diagnosed earlier.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It sounds like everyone agrees that the pain is not being controlled :(

The sedative effects of Clomicalm apparently wear off after the first week.

When I go back for the refill this week, I will ask for something stronger. We did increase the Deremax, just a week ago and he is getting the strongest dose.

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
I looked up the Deprenyl Tanya mentioned and L-Deprenyl is Anipryl; my generic was L-selegiline which is also the same.

I just wanted to post another link in case you talk to your vet about this because it's not recommended to give anipryl when clomicalm is given.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anipryl.html

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Those symptoms sound similiar to what 2 of my dogs started doing when they each reached about 14 years. They were diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and I put them both on Anipryl. This did give them both some improvement especially with the anxiety signs they were showing. I did eventually have to put them to sleep due to other health problems, but I was glad I was able to give them some relief and normalcy due to the meds.

Here's another link with info-http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

With my second dog, they had come out with a generic version of the Anipryl which was much cheaper although I had to give 4 tablets rather than one because it only came in one strength. I didn't see a difference between the name brand and the generic and actually saw more improvement with my second dog, I think because it was diagnosed earlier.
The vet said it would take about a month for the Clomicalm to be fully effective. So I will see what happens in the next couple of weeks and then see if he should be on a different med.

Status
Not open for further replies.