• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegals or bourkes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
So I'm debating whether to get a senegal or 1 or 2 bourkes for either my 20th bday this year or my 21st next year. Which would make the better apartment bird and pet? I don't know anything about bourkes except they're cute. lol

What do you think?

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
Bourkes!!!!! I have 4 that were all hand raised. After macaws, they are my favorite pet bird. I have absolutley nothing bad to say about them. Before these tame ones, I had a couple of parent raised bourkes, still lovely curious little guys, but the hand raised ones are very trusting. They do not like to be petted like most birds, even bonded pairs do not preen eachother often. Iwouldn't call them affectionate , but they LOVE to just be with you. A couple of my little guys will follow us through the house and land on us alot. They will just sit with me when I am on computer. Very cute!

They are not demanding at all, happy to be together, happy to see people. They will go to anyone happily. Not loud at all! No dusk/dawn screeching, just soft metallic chirps. Do not bite. Really! I haven't been bitten, just a nip while trimming nails. They are not high strung and chatty like budgies either, pretty mellow. They like to take naps in the afternoon.

I do have to be very careful of them around larger birds though. They do fine with my cockatiels and finches. But anything else I keep them away from. They are just so trusting and gentle, they do not seem to realize that other birds are not like that! I would definately keep them away from your GCC.

Oh and they LOVE to eat, pretty much anything I give them. Not picky at all:)

Iworked at a bird store in CO for a while and we had 2 of these sweeties get their toes nipped very badly. One by a caique, the other by a GCC. the conuure was just doing the normal GCC nippy thing, but the bourkes tiny delicate foot was badly damaged. I did get them both vet care, but the feet were not able to be saved sadly. But both birds do just fine now, I kept both of them:)

If you are looking for more of a "real" parrot type bird, they may not be what you want, but if you want something super easy, beautiful, calm and quiet, they are the best!

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I would say Senegals are more personable and also more capable of learning tricks and such. Also their antics- playing on their backs and hanging upside down- would be quite funny to watch!

If you're looking into the Senegal, also consider the other members of the Poi family as they are all very similar but have slight personality differences from the Senegal that you might like. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have a Senegal and a Meyers, both poicephalus species parrots. My Senegal is much more laid back than my Meyers. Senegal is personable, soft, cuddly and has a soft call. Meyers is full of herself, stubborn, cuddly and somewhat louder. Love both of them.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
When you say apartment bird how quiet do you need them to be?
Because I know I can hear my Red Belly flock calling when I'm downstairs or outside. It's not a all day thing and is only done occasionally, but it can still be heard. She does it almost every time I leave the room. As soon as I go out she starts calling a few times.

My Senegal is much more laid back than my Meyers. Senegal is personable, soft, cuddly and has a soft call. .
I heard the Sennies down at the bird store do their flock call the last time I was in there and wow.:eek: It seemed alot louder then my Red Belly. It actually got me more then a cockatoo did.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
When you say apartment bird how quiet do you need them to be?
Because I know I can hear my Red Belly flock calling when I'm downstairs or outside. It's not a all day thing and is only done occasionally, but it can still be heard. She does it almost every time I leave the room. As soon as I go out she starts calling a few times.
Well, I do not live an apartment now but I do live with my parents so I am just thinking of the future. I don't want to have to rehome a bird because I can't take it to my future apartment. I am looking for a bird that won't scream and will be okay in a pet-friendly apartment complex.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have a senegal, & shes not loud, she says a few words, & loves to whistle, shes very laid back bird, but at times she does get in " jekil & hyde' moods.

Afleetalex

Walking the driveway
I'd say bourke. I hear they are very quiet, budgie like if not even quieter.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have 5 Poicephalus, including one Senegal, in an apartment and I don't have noise issues.

However, when it comes to choosing, you should meet some bourkes and Senegals if you can and interact and see which you like best.

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
I agree that you should meet both species to decide but I'll give you descriptions of my two Pois, one of which is a Senegal. I love both of my birds very much. Jack the Senegal does like to do the terrible piercing Poi shriek more than I expected from the breed description but that is only since we moved to the house, and we are doing some construction and renovation so I think he is annoyed at the noise etc. He has been getting better. He is more sedate, speaks more and more clearly, and is more gentle than my other. Penny my red-bellied is zooms around, jabbers nonsense to herself, dances and is basically the house's court jester. Penny is rarely loud. Jack will take some scratches but cuddling with him usually consists of him puffing up and putting his beak against your cheek; Penny will usually slow down once or twice a day to cuddle and puff up and take scritches for a while.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Bourkes tend to be more active at dusk than other times of the day. The last time a saw some they were all frozen in the cage like statues making little peeping sounds. Don't know much about their personality, someone generously offered me a free one here to rehome because they wanted a male and had two females, but I declined because I can only have a max of one more bird and if I get another one I will have to make sure it's species I really want. I think they are very pretty birds and are probably easier than a Seni.

We have a Jardine, who is also a Poi, and he is our quietest bird. He has bonded with me exclusively and wants nothing to do with any other people. He is very amusing and funny and talks a lot; he can also be very stubborn and fiesty. I think that the Pois all have similar personality traits from what I've read. I'd say if you want a more engaging companion bird that will keep you guessing go with the Seni--of you want a mello companion who is more likely to stay out of trouble go with the Bourke.

Last edited:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I saw bourkes and senegals at the bird mart I went to this past Sunday and both are very, very cute!! Senegals are smaller than I thought. Bourkes are soooo cute and tiny. I didn't interact with them, just looked. I'd feel more comfortable interacting with them at a breeders house or some where like that. Not at a bird mart where the bird could be sick. Well, any where the bird could be sick but its more likely at a bird mart I would think.

I really love senegals, however. They are more of the interactive type, not like the bourkes. Even though bourkes are quiet and cute they don't like to be touched and I like birds that like cuddling and being scritched on the head. It's still a tough choice though because I really did fall in love with both, seeing them at the bird mart. Bourkes are just too darn cute. So are sennies. I love senegals coloring and the V they have. Like every one suggested, I probably will go to breeders or where ever and see what both are like in person. That won't be for a few months. My mom brought up a good point. I need to focus on school instead of focusing on getting another bird so soon, even though I was planning to get the bird next year lol. So we'll see what happens! Thanks for all the information!! I really appreciate it.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.