• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegals making soup :P

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
so I have three Senegals now: Lily, Pumpkin, and new foster Ady. Pumpkin and Ady are new to Zupreem naturals but all three of them are making “soup” by dipping pellets into water before they eat them or dropping them into the water bowl. Is this a Senegal thing? Is this any parrot’s thing with pellets? Did Lily teach the other two bad habits? Lol. I end up changing their water bowls at least ten times a day

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
so I have three Senegals now: Lily, Pumpkin, and new foster Ady. Pumpkin and Ady are new to Zupreem naturals but all three of them are making “soup” by dipping pellets into water before they eat them or dropping them into the water bowl. Is this a Senegal thing? Is this any parrot’s thing with pellets? Did Lily teach the other two bad habits? Lol. I end up changing their water bowls at least ten times a day
I think it's a universal thing for many species of parrots. Astro... green cheek conure can make some awesome stew with her zupreem pellets. Lola.. DYH amazon is a pro at it too.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
All pellet eating parrots I have met make soup.

It is totally normal and healthy for them. The pellets aren't moist enough on their own. Just make sure you change the water often. Pellet soup will be a lovely spawning ground for dangerous bacteria.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Lol...yep!!!! Get used to the constant water changing....my senegal does the same....anything dry, goes in water and likes it wet! Same goes for my zon and grey.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Lol...yep!!!! Get used to the constant water changing....my senegal does the same....anything dry, goes in water and likes it wet! Same goes for my zon and grey.
Ok good to know lol. Sometimes I start changing the water for all three and by the time I’m done the first one made more soup

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok good to know lol. Sometimes I start changing the water for all three and by the time I’m done the first one made more soup
Exactly... You took away their soup!!! Need to make more. I try not to let mine sit for too long, maybe a couple hours max so they enjoy it and the fun. After that it's changing time. Bacteria can grow if left unattended.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
lol @ soup :roflmao:

My lovebirds are notorious dunkers, and yes, they drop a lot in...

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My senny’s do the same, regardless of which pellet i feed :)

My girl didn’t start doing it untill i got the male, he did it from the beginning and so the girl just took it over :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My senny’s do the same, regardless of which pellet i feed :)

My girl didn’t start doing it untill i got the male, he did it from the beginning and so the girl just took it over :)

Yes I can clean my bird room and cages. But my senny can mess it all back up in seconds!
He professionals his own supermarket....on the floor! A smorgasbord!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Add my Quaker to the list of soup-makers. Interestingly, he only does this with pellets. I guess his breakfast fruits and veggies are already moist enough for his tastes, so I only spend half the day swapping out water, lol.