• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal Parrot vs African grey

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sylvester, not everyone is born nor raised, knowing how to love and care for pets.
I think you're being a little judgmental here.
I never got the impression he thought his other bird was a 'throw-a-way'.
I got the impression he gave up, maybe even blamed his bird for not coming back. That he never realized it might be found.
But not the impression he didn't care.
Many people never realize you can find a small bird that's gotten out.
When I was young my budgie flew out the door. We never looked for it. :(
I didn't even realize I might have found it. It seemed hopeless and I was crushed, but that little bird made me realize I wanted another.
I've learned over the years they can and are at times found. But I didn't know it once.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
say clearly. I can't understand what do you mean.
"I'm angry when CoCo is escaped. He saw me and didn't come to me. I say CoCo CoCo come come but he didn't care.
Why? He leaves me and I need a parrot that doesn't leave me
."

"He leave me"

First of all, if CoCo escaped, it was because someone didn't close his cage door, which then allowed him to fly around the room and right out an open window. Unless, of course, you are telling me that CoCo, himself, somehow opened both the cage door and the window.

" I say CoCo come....."

Did CoCo turn into a dog? Did you also slap your thigh while calling out: "CoCo, come on boy, go get Timmy out of the well!"

"He didn't care"

Really? Did he tell you that in the note he left behind?

Yes, by all means, go out and get another parrot, since you did such a swell job with CoCo.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sylvester, not everyone is born nor raised, knowing how to love and care for pets.
I think you're being a little judgmental here.
I never got the impression he thought his other bird was a 'throw-a-way'.
I got the impression he gave up, maybe even blamed his bird for not coming back. That he never realized it might be found.
But not the impression he didn't care.
Many people never realize you can find a small bird that's gotten out.
When I was young my budgie flew out the door. We never looked for it. :(
I didn't even realize I might have found it. It seemed hopeless and I was crushed, but that little bird made me realize I wanted another.
I've learned over the years they can and are at times found. But I didn't know it once.

I wasn't referring to hunting for a lost bird, or even losing it in the first place. We have all been down that road.

But, you don't find it a little disturbing to lose a bird, (which we don't even know under what circumstances) and then suddenly want another "smart".... "parrot that doesn't leave me."

I don't feel too comfortable suggesting a different kind of parrot for a person who gives commands to them as if they were Lassie. I would only be marginally comfortable suggesting that the OP actually study up on birds to get a better understanding of the species.

I respect you, macrawpower, but on this, we will have to agree to disagree. My spidey senses are tingling here.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I do know where you're coming from, but I think on this one I'll give him a chance.
I've seen posters I'd not give the time of day to.
Armin seems earnest. Not a troll, not snarky, nor combative.
He also is not understanding everything we say.
If anything he seems to want to assure us he loved his bird.
I think his choice of words make some statements sound uncaring, but not everyone has a huge English vocabulary.
He may just not know the word he really wants.
If he wants another bird, he'll get one no matter how we come across.
I'd like to see him stay and learn. Leaving helps not a new bird, nor him.
I guess we'll see.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I do know where you're coming from, but I think on this one I'll give him a chance.
I've seen posters I'd not give the time of day to.
Armin seems earnest. Not a troll, not snarky, nor combative.
He also is not understanding everything we say.
If anything he seems to want to assure us he loved his bird.
I think his choice of words make some statements sound uncaring, but not everyone has a huge English vocabulary.
He may just not know the word he really wants.
If he wants another bird, he'll get one no matter how we come across.
I'd like to see him stay and learn. Leaving helps not a new bird, nor him.
I guess we'll see.

You are a good person in wanting to educate the OP. And, as you have clearly noted, it always about the birds.
I too have done the defense dance for many on this site, but I believe I will sit this one out.

Have a good evening, macawppower.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also wonder about his age. He mentioned a lunchroom. School? Or cafeteria? He may be young. It's hard to tell.

Armin, I hope you stay.
Many of us will be patient and help you.
If we don't understand, we'll let you know.
If you don't understand us, we'll try and speak more plainly.

If you are a kid, don't tell your age.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you Sylvester. :)

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Please, to other members on here who are posting, try to be as understanding as possible. Even though the situation may be frustrating, no one is going to listen to anything if it's said aggressively or in a way that could be perceived as aggressively. And that's a proven fact of human psychology. If you want someone to listen and if you truly want to help the original poster and their CoCo, calm and understanding tones are needed to get points across. Causing more unrest will only make the original poster not want to listen to you, and it puts your own feelings and want to be the person who's correct in this situation before the safety or wellbeing of the bird you are trying to help.
A language barrier can also cause escalation because it causes more misunderstandings. If you truly want to help the birds and person involved here, try to remain calm and understanding so that we can all effectively communicate and listen to each other. Although the situation is not ideal, pointing out all of the flaws and non-constructively criticizing them is not going to help anyone.

@Armin I would strongly recommend you do not get another bird in your situation. Another new bird, especially a senegal or african grey, will just add to your current stress. You truly seem to care deeply for your CoCo and I can completely understand why you are upset and angry. You've just lost your friend and he hasn't come back. But please understand that CoCo did not do this to hurt you and not because he doesn't care. He probably flew outside because he was curious. But then didn't know how to get back. Many birds don't know how to fly down from trees and he was probably very scared which is why he didn't come to you.
Bird's are not very obedient animals, and they are wild animals that will choose when they want to listen. Senegals and african greys are just the same, they can learn but they will choose when to listen. Coco had lots of fear in that moment and that likely got in the way of him listening or being able to come back. You might set his cage outside if he's still around, because he will recognize it and may try to come down to it. But please do not get another bird right now. I know you love CoCo very much and want to get another bird like him to be your friend, but senegals and african greys are very different than cockatiels. The frustration of trying to live with a more complex parrot will likely only add on to your current grief.
Also, do not let any comments here discourage you. I'm deeply sorry if any other members have upset you or offended you, many on here are simply very passionate and worried about the care of parrots and they worried for your CoCo just like you are worried for him. We all care a lot about parrots and want to help improve their lives, but I believe we became frustrated and confused which caused arguments. There are many members on here who are patient and understanding, please don't let a few replies discourage you from returning or asking questions on here.
I hope you stay on the forum even after all of this. We all love parrots on here and you have shown before that you care, too. We want to help educate you and answer any questions you have, just like the questions you asked us about CoCo. You clearly wanted to improve his life and care, but please stay on the forums and learn more about parrots before you buy another. Parrots are difficult animals to live with and they are not domesticated like cats or dogs, so that adds to the complexity of their care.
But there's lots of information on here and hopefully we can all talk effectively, even with the language barrier. If you want to get another companion, please do more research or ask questions about species you're interested in, we've got lots of good information and good people on the forum here.
I'm so sorry for your loss of CoCo and I hope he makes it back home. :sadhug2:

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
"I'm angry when CoCo is escaped. He saw me and didn't come to me. I say CoCo CoCo come come but he didn't care.
Why? He leaves me and I need a parrot that doesn't leave me
."

"He leave me"

First of all, if CoCo escaped, it was because someone didn't close his cage door, which then allowed him to fly around the room and right out an open window. Unless, of course, you are telling me that CoCo, himself, somehow opened both the cage door and the window.

" I say CoCo come....."

Did CoCo turn into a dog? Did you also slap your thigh while calling out: "CoCo, come on boy, go get Timmy out of the well!"

"He didn't care"

Really? Did he tell you that in the note he left behind?

Yes, by all means, go out and get another parrot, since you did such a swell job with CoCo.
I don't know where do you live But I'm sure your situation is differenced me completely So Please wear my shoes if you want to judge me.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
I wasn't referring to hunting for a lost bird, or even losing it in the first place. We have all been down that road.

But, you don't find it a little disturbing to lose a bird, (which we don't even know under what circumstances) and then suddenly want another "smart".... "parrot that doesn't leave me."

I don't feel too comfortable suggesting a different kind of parrot for a person who gives commands to them as if they were Lassie. I would only be marginally comfortable suggesting that the OP actually study up on birds to get a better understanding of the species.

I respect you, macrawpower, but on this, we will have to agree to disagree. My spidey senses are tingling here.
I promise you that one day I have a bird that doesn't leave me.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
I also wonder about his age. He mentioned a lunchroom. School? Or cafeteria? He may be young. It's hard to tell.

Armin, I hope you stay.
Many of us will be patient and help you.
If we don't understand, we'll let you know.
If you don't understand us, we'll try and speak more plainly.

If you are a kid, don't tell your age.
I'm 27 years old.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
Please, to other members on here who are posting, try to be as understanding as possible. Even though the situation may be frustrating, no one is going to listen to anything if it's said aggressively or in a way that could be perceived as aggressively. And that's a proven fact of human psychology. If you want someone to listen and if you truly want to help the original poster and their CoCo, calm and understanding tones are needed to get points across. Causing more unrest will only make the original poster not want to listen to you, and it puts your own feelings and want to be the person who's correct in this situation before the safety or wellbeing of the bird you are trying to help.
A language barrier can also cause escalation because it causes more misunderstandings. If you truly want to help the birds and person involved here, try to remain calm and understanding so that we can all effectively communicate and listen to each other. Although the situation is not ideal, pointing out all of the flaws and non-constructively criticizing them is not going to help anyone.

@Armin I would strongly recommend you do not get another bird in your situation. Another new bird, especially a senegal or african grey, will just add to your current stress. You truly seem to care deeply for your CoCo and I can completely understand why you are upset and angry. You've just lost your friend and he hasn't come back. But please understand that CoCo did not do this to hurt you and not because he doesn't care. He probably flew outside because he was curious. But then didn't know how to get back. Many birds don't know how to fly down from trees and he was probably very scared which is why he didn't come to you.
Bird's are not very obedient animals, and they are wild animals that will choose when they want to listen. Senegals and african greys are just the same, they can learn but they will choose when to listen. Coco had lots of fear in that moment and that likely got in the way of him listening or being able to come back. You might set his cage outside if he's still around, because he will recognize it and may try to come down to it. But please do not get another bird right now. I know you love CoCo very much and want to get another bird like him to be your friend, but senegals and african greys are very different than cockatiels. The frustration of trying to live with a more complex parrot will likely only add on to your current grief.
Also, do not let any comments here discourage you. I'm deeply sorry if any other members have upset you or offended you, many on here are simply very passionate and worried about the care of parrots and they worried for your CoCo just like you are worried for him. We all care a lot about parrots and want to help improve their lives, but I believe we became frustrated and confused which caused arguments. There are many members on here who are patient and understanding, please don't let a few replies discourage you from returning or asking questions on here.
I hope you stay on the forum even after all of this. We all love parrots on here and you have shown before that you care, too. We want to help educate you and answer any questions you have, just like the questions you asked us about CoCo. You clearly wanted to improve his life and care, but please stay on the forums and learn more about parrots before you buy another. Parrots are difficult animals to live with and they are not domesticated like cats or dogs, so that adds to the complexity of their care.
But there's lots of information on here and hopefully we can all talk effectively, even with the language barrier. If you want to get another companion, please do more research or ask questions about species you're interested in, we've got lots of good information and good people on the forum here.
I'm so sorry for your loss of CoCo and I hope he makes it back home. :sadhug2:
Thanks. Some member in forums doesn't know about my situation and They judge me in a unfailry way. This is wrong.
I print many paper that writes my phone number and I stick on walls in my local. I'm trying to get CoCo.

Armin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Armin
@Armin I hope you and all your family are safe from the flood!
I have just seen it on the news.

-Dining room

It appears he is 26, but lives with parents.
Thanks, Zara. Unfortunately, CoCo escaped out in a bad time. The weather is windy when CoCo escaped.
Yes. I'm 27 years old and live with my parents. I'm computer engineering and I love Artifical intelligent and computer world. I want to find behaviour algorithm for a parrot to learn to them.
Guys, I promise you that one day I learned a parrot that doesn't escape me. the job that you never do But I try.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I don't know where do you live But I'm sure your situation is differenced me completely So Please wear my shoes if you want to judge me.
Sorry, not buying. If this had started out as a tribute post to CoCo, or even a question like, "I lost my bird; can anyone help me find him?" than I wouldn't be so suspicious or critical. But the fact that another member had to bring up CoCo, just seems a little too convenient. And of course its back to the old 'what bird should I get' replay.

I am not here to pollute your post so I doubt I will be replying any further. Have a good evening, Armin.

ZenBird

Moving in
Real Name
Tami
I'm sorry your bird is lost. I have both, a Senegal and and 2 African greys. I cannot recommend either to most people. I love my flock, they bring me unspeakable joy. But, both of these are unpredictable, have a mind of their own and will quickly put you in your place for even suggesting they do what they don't want to do. The Senegal bite is intense, they grind and shred you with the bottom beak. Hurts bad! Greys will lunge and grab you, bite hard and deep. I would suggest you put CoCo's cage up high outside in plain sight, keep his favorite foods, treats, toys in there. I have heard of many birds coming home this way when they see their home/cage. He didn't come back because he was not trained to do so, training isn't overnight. Don't give up hope or take his actions personally, put yourself in his position. He's probably scared and looking for his home/food/comfort. Do this now! Good luck.