• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Senegal Parrot needs help

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi, everyone. I need some advice. I have an acquaintance who owns a Senegal Parrot. He has had the bird, Charlie, for approximately 25 years.

According to the owner, Charlie used to ride around on his shoulder and spent most of his time out of the cage. That was until he got his dog, Wade. Wade is an unfixed female Yorkie mix. Wade didn't like Charlie, so from that day on, Charlie has been locked in his cage.

Also, according to the owner, Charlie eats whatever he, the owner, is eating. I asked if he ever gave Charlie fresh veggies and he said no. Bear in mind that the owner is quite " old school", but not in the good sense.

He really doesn't want to hear anything I have to say...not bcuz I couldn't know anything, but bcuz I am a female and a man can't take advice from a woman...you know what I mean.

Anyway, a few days ago he told me that Charlie was in a corner at the bottom of the cage. Not up on his high perch as usual. And that he was loosing feathers.

I supposed he was molting, but when I explained to him what molting was he seemed to know nothing about it. I said hasn't he done this all his life, a couple of times a year? He said he never noticed. Today, he tells me the bird is back on his perch. However, he states that the bird is itching like crazy and having a lot of dander. He says he tried spraying it with water but that doesn't seem to help. He will not entertain the idea of taking the bird to a vet.

I know it's not much to go on...but any suggestions? Thanks.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is Terrible, people like that can make so angry. Thank you for doing your best. Is there any way that you would want to take him in? Or perhaps you can send your hubby to him to try and educate him about birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There could be many reasons the Senegal is "itchy" and the best way to determine that is for your friend to take him to the vet. Could be because he is getting a lot of new pins in but could be something else.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Update on the Senegal Parrot. I saw the owner today and he said that if I could give the bird a better life he would give him to me. He knows that I am a full time RV'er and that I have two dogs and he knows the story of TD. He wondred if I thought I could handle another bird (and probably a sick one at that, I thought). I don't know that I can. He may be going out of state for a couple of weeks and I may watch Charlie whilehe's away. Could he (Charlie) have any type of disease that could hurt TD?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would try and keep the Senegal away from TD and yes, he may have a disease. Can you take him to a vet?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know you can handle it! You’re a great birdie mama. Just have to get over the vet hurdle.

Maybe part of your watching him is that he get the bird vet checked? And if he surrendered, then you could help rehome him? (The bird, not the owner;)
Well there’s a thought...

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Is there any way that you would want to take him in?
Of course, I'd love to take him in. But I don't think it would be the best situation for my family or for the bird. I can barely give TD enough space or out of cage time. And since no one has jumped in on my idea for an rv bird cage (with slideouts, like an rv), I don't see the situation improving.

for your friend to take him to the vet
Fat chance.

Poor birdie. :sad7: And poor you!
Thank you. I feel awful that I can't just step in and take him.

Can you take him to a vet
Not at this time.

I know you can handle it! You’re a great birdie mama.
Would that I could, but thank you. I really wish I could.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Of course, I'd love to take him in. But I don't think it would be the best situation for my family or for the bird. I can barely give TD enough space or out of cage time. And since no one has jumped in on my idea for an rv bird cage (with slideouts, like an rv), I don't see the situation improving.

Fat chance.

Thank you. I feel awful that I can't just step in and take him.

Not at this time.

Would that I could, but thank you. I really wish I could.
Thinking of your family and TD first is of course the most important:hug8: I don’t know if this is possible or anything, but perhaps you could contact a rescue and ask whether they could take him, or know someone that does. But then his owner probably won’t give him away Will he?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor bird, but I definitely think TD comes first and it might be best for him if he has you all to himself. He’s such a cutie, I wouldn’t mind it if you posted another photo or two of that little guy!:heart:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
perhaps you could contact a rescue and ask whether they could take him, or
He says he doesn't think the bird would be happy without him. He's had the bird since it was a hatchling. He says he hand fed Charlie. He believes that the only way a person can bond with a bird is to take them from the parents and hand feed them. Remember, he got Charlie over 25 years ago. Attitudes weren't exactly enlightened. He also says his father "kicked all his weaknesses out of him." So you kinda see where he's coming from.

According to him, Charlie has been in the same cage since he got him. With the same 2 perches, and one toy. He says birds BELONG in a cage. To him it would be the height of insanity to take a bird to a vet.

I've never met Charlie, but I wish I could just go and take him.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
TD comes first and it might be best for him if he has you all to himself.
It's all about the birdy... that's been our mantra since TD came to live with us. I sometimes have to remind myself that, bcuz we lived in a 25' camper for the first 10 months of his life (minus 19 days), he has had me within his field of vision approximately 80% of his life. We are extremely bonded. So much so that TD screams like a maniac if I just go to the bathroom and close the door! Not sure if it was a good thing... letting him get so attached? We definitely love each other.

Now I am thinking of changing his name to Randy, if you get my meaning. How long does this molting, puberty, hormonal business last, anyway? When do I get my sweety, tweety TD bird back?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I wouldn’t mind it if you posted another photo or two of that little guy!:heart:
Happy to oblige. IMG_20180206_122103406_BURST001.jpg

STDB001.jpg
IMG_20180209_125248629_BURST003.jpg
IMG_20180208_124214611.jpg
TD and his buddy, Don Kingatiel.
VID_20170531_144237504_fx49.jpg
Me, unbelievably astounded that this little guy is still with me...TD taking advantage of my astonishment to chomp my nose!

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, he’s just so precious! I love that preening pose and that cute little head bow.:heart: Ease up on that hormonal behavior TD, mom needs a break! It should die down after a few weeks, but if he’s anything like mine, it will start up again for a few weeks in the Fall.:meh:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
According to him, Charlie has been in the same cage since he got him. With the same 2 perches, and one toy. He says birds BELONG in a cage. To him it would be the height of insanity to take a bird to a vet.

I've never met Charlie, but I wish I could just go and take him.
I saw the owner today and he said that if I could give the bird a better life he would give him to me.
But please do that!
You can lie for that bird so it will get care. So get the bird and handle him over to some that can give him what he need.
It can already be to late but at least the bird will die in a loving home.
I have to say...not bcuz I couldn't know anything, but bcuz I am a female and a man can't take advice from a woman...you know what I mean.
Perhaps then send him a man that is man enough knowing that a woman also can give great advice.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
OR tell him to his face that if Charlie passes away because he doesn't care about him you will never forgive him or speak to him again because it will be his fault.

Why the heck did he get a dog anyway? Mid-life crisis or post-mid-life crisis? I'm assuming he's single and there's a reason for it. Sorry for the rant, dealt with too many men who did the pat on the head and "it's ok, little lady, I'll take care of it" routine. A swift kick would work.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
You can lie for that bird so it will get care. So get the bird and handle him over to some that can give him what he need.
It can already be to late but at least the bird will die in a loving home.
Believe me, I'd have no problem taking Charlie and saying I can give him a better life and then handing him over to someone who could...that wouldn't even be lying. I just have to find out when he's going out of state, if he's going to let me "watch" Charlie and set it up ahead of time with someone who could help him. If I were to do that, the owner would probably get the police involved, but I'd still do it.

It would be great if I could find a place for Charlie that is near Jurupa Valley. I think he would be willing to consider surrendering Charlie if he were allowed to come see for himself that the bird was living a happier life.

He is an ill informed monster, but not a total monster (i think).