• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal, meyer or hybrid?

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Hi guys,

I rescued a birds, and I am not sure whether he is an odd coloured senegal, an odd colour meyers or a hybrid between the two. Is a hybrid even possible? I am leaning towards hybrid as he has characteristics of both...
The green on his wings is a deeper green like that of a meyers. There is also no distinct line where the grey of the head ends and the green starts - as with my sennie.
The neck in the front has the meyers green again, but his stomach is yellow and sennie green but in no spesific patern. He has yellow dots on both his shoulders, and a yellow dot on his forehead. The green on his tail underneath his tail is also very unusual. Any thoughts? IMG_20180627_224100.jpg IMG_20180627_221305.jpg IMG_20180627_221323.jpg IMG_20180627_224100.jpg IMG_20180627_221305.jpg IMG_20180627_221323.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you know of an age?

I believe all of the Pois (exception for maybe Jardine and Cape) can hybridize.

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Unfortunately I do not have any history on him. Looking at the eyes he is definitely an adult, but anything else would be a guess

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Assuming he is healthy (as liver issues can sometimes cause green feathers to turn yellow) I would speculate hybrid.

@Monica is the hybrid expert around here though :)

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Thanks! I was also thinking liver issues, and he is havings tests done. Vet however reckons there are too many differences. We considered meyers with yellow due to liver issues, but there are many other sennie characteristics. We then looked at senegal with liver issues, but once again to many meyers characteristic. Weirdest is the meyers coloured neck and sennie coloured stomach.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting your Poi. He does look like a Meyer's/Senegal hybrid, IMO. What is his name?

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Unfortunately I didn't ask for his name before getting him out, and not going to contact the abusive owner to ask. Having DNA done with the blood tests and will then choose a new name.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He/she is a beautiful bird. I hope all the tests come back good for your new addition. Welcome to the Avenue by the way :)

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@Laylatoo thinks she has a meyers/sennie hybrid, so she may be able to provide more insight. I'm glad you got this guy out of an abusive situation!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He is a very beautiful bird.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Difficult to tell. I have had birds that completely change color after their 1st year. Including my Meyers. She had very little yellow when I got her at 4 years old. She is a rehome. But she has a fair amount of pale yellow through her belly and under the wings now. The yellow on her forehead and wings got much larger and darker yellow. You can see when she puffs her feathers. A very poor diet and stress could contribute to the odd coloring, as well as any health issues. With the DNA test, can the vet determine if the bird is a hybrid?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I've seen Meyers vary in color. could have been a Senegal somewhere in the history of one of the parents or one of the parents was a senegal. Seen some more blue Meyers. Has meyers adult eyes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
With the DNA test, can the vet determine if the bird is a hybrid?
No, unfortunately not. There's no test out there to determine a bird's species, and even the ones for dogs isn't 100% accurate...