• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Semi urgent baby budgie

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Not sure where to post this, but trying to help out. My husbands coworker gave her budgies a nestbox. As things go they laid a ton of eggs and one hatched. The mother budgie has been feeding the baby well but she sent my husband a pic today and I thought babies are supposed to have down on the back? I’m not a breeder so have minimal knowledge of this subject, but shouldn’t a two week old budgie with wing feathers growing in really well have some body fluff? He’s bald on his back and back of his head still.

The adult budgies in the cage show no signs of illness/feather issues and she has had them all for years without any new additions.

I’m wondering if the female is over preening him maybe and plucking the down out? There are also two females sharing the nest box and both have been seen to feed the baby so both are preening him too.

If they are taking the feathers out does the baby need to be hand fed at this point? Or one female and nest box removed to a new cage? Though she doesn’t even know which female actually laid the chick. (I know, she’s super.) And maybe he’s doing just fine and I’m overreacting lol. I just thought he should have some feathers/down there. He is eating and growing well.

I appreciate all of the help! F5079E3D-72A6-4324-9A21-6B4EFC776F42.jpeg

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hard to tell on that pic, (to blurry) but for me it seems normal for a two weeks old budgie.
For what I remember they got head and wing-feathers first.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry forgot this.
If they are taking the feathers out does the baby need to be hand fed at this point?
Yes. If not he will die. He is to young to eat on his own.
And thank you for caring! ♥

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The mother, which ever bird she is, may be a young first time mother and generally they may not be so good at what is needed. Yes, learn how to feed the baby safely. Best from a person that knows or your vet. Keep baby in a separate cage and provide warmth. You can put a heating pad under towels. I have never fed a baby bird but @PoukieBear may pick up from here with advice. Good luck.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@MiniMacaw It's been a long time since I've had budgies so this only opinion, I would pull that baby and get a brooder tank set up about a hour or so before you pull him out. Keep the heat about 85°- 90° and start feeding it every time it's crop is empty. Do not feed after midnight and start feeding again at 6am. Keep track of its weight daily, every time you feed it. Make sure to clean it well after each feeding. Feeding formula is h e l l to get off once it dries. Make sure its pooping well. Sanitize well any feeding tools, I prefer one time use syringes. Never make more formula then can be fed in one feeding. If this person is uncertain about hand feeding please seek out a breeder for help.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@MiniMacaw how is that baby budgie?
As of today he’s still in the nestbox. The owner of the birds said since he’s growing still she doesn’t want to move him. Last update was this morning and she said he’s still acting normally and getting fed by both budgies in the nest box.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
As of today he’s still in the nestbox. The owner of the birds said since he’s growing still she doesn’t want to move him. Last update was this morning and she said he’s still acting normally and getting fed by both budgies in the nest box.
Just wait some more days. If he not getting more feathers perhaps you can help them?

I found these pics.
Two weeks old:

Three weeks old. (so if this never happen, you should convince them to help)

The baby should be fully weaned at age 5-6 weeks.