• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

selling safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hi all
so sorry to re-post but i fond this thread and thought it would be better here :shy:
we may be moving to a different country and i have to find loving homes for my 20+ budgies:budgie: and 20+ zebra finches:zf1:. they mean so much to me and i'm really worried about their new owners and welfare. hear are my questions (sorry there's so many!;))

1) how can we make sure they are fine before re-homing them. it will be WAY too expensive to send all 40+ to the vet but we cant risk infecting the new owners flock. do you know any way to make sure they are healthy that's not too pricey?
2) how do we make sure they go to loving homes quickly, id be devastated to place one of my babies in a horrible home!
3) do you know any other things to note/do before selling them? and what about the disabled ones (like the ones who struggle with flight or are blind, ect)

sorry for such a long post this time and thanks in advance
LittleBird:roflmao:

P.S they are not tame

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you tell us where you live, maybe we can help you to find rescue ?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
we may be moving to a different country
Same response as in your other post

Well the honest truth is that once those birds leave your control there is nothing you can do to guarantee anything. With that many birds, unless you can find someone to take them all lock stock and barrel, their world is about to fall apart. You have a giant mountain to climb.

It sounds like moving is an option? In that case it's a matter of personal priorities. What's more important? The birds or moving?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
1. Why not put the ball in their court for the health? When I have purchased birds they usually say take it to a veterinarian within 48 hours (or thereabout). In fact when I got my parrotlet they said they give a 3-year guarantee, but not if you don't get him to the vet in the 48-hour time frame.

2. You have no way of knowing. Even the best check and re-check in the world can still end up with a bad owner. This part is out of your control.

3. Tell the truth, and tell it more than once. People tend to mentally gloss over the facts once they get excited about a new bird.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Are there any rescues near you that you can talk to regarding some options? If there is time before you move they may be able to help with placement while you keep the birds with you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think for finches and budgies it would be easier to take them out of the country. Might not even need a vet check.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hi all, thanks for the advice
is it that by checking one bird of from flock(eg one budgie:budgie:, one zebra finch:zf1:) you can tell if they are all healthy?
also, there's a place near us called birds for Africa (were in South Africa, Gauteng) who will accept them all if we have a certificate from the vet stating that one of the birds in the flock is healthy
should we go for it, they are just a business that sells some birds and supplies?
or should we rather find individual homes?

unfortunately keeping them is not an option because the keep-up has just become too expensive :sad1:(and my parents wont help since i started the breeding and the problem in general:unsure1:)
LittleBird:roflmao:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Go for it. Let birds for Africa take them -- problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.