• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SEIZURES AFRICAN GREY

Esme

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there

I have an African Grey (5 years old). She had her 1st seizure in November. She was given phenobarbitone, which she has once a day. She had a seizure last night around 7pm. Again today around 3pm both times I gave her a tablet. It is now 6 hours later and she is still sleeping. (Is this normal for her to sleep so much) I have given her water through a syringe to keep her hydrated.

She also can't really keep her head up.

Thank you

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
She needs to be seen by a vet. The increased frequency of seizures, coupled with her lethargy and possible dehydration, are all worrying symptoms that need to be addressed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Phenobarbitol is used to help people sleep - not strange that she is sleeping with two doses. And I don't know how severe the seizures were, but they may have effected her.

"Phenobarbital is used to treat or prevent seizures. Phenobarbital is also used short-term as a sedative to help you relax."

With the increase in seizure activity, you really need to contact the veterinarian - NOW.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Have you had her to a qualified Avian vet?How is her diet,do you have uva/uvb lighting for her-or do you take her out for natural sunlight a few times a week?African greys are prone to low calcium seizures .Blood work can show Normal calcium level but a grey cannot properly metabolize the calcium without proper nutrition and vitamin D3(sunlight or uva/uvb lights)
calcium deficiency in african grey parrots - Bing

Please keep us posted and get her to a vet asap! :hug8: