• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seizure-type night attacks

Tigerlilly

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lilly
Hi All,

I've had my dearest sweetest Zhora in my life for the past 8 months. He's a beautiful make Ekkie, and just turned 1 year old, so still quite a young bird. In the past two months he's started having these strange attacks in the night. At first I thought it was toe-tapping, and although I have seen him toe-tap from time to time, we've progressed to these strange leg-slamming attacks.

They always start around 2-3am, and can go for as short as 15 minutes, but can also continue for hours. I've spent whole nights holding him, as his legs involuntarily spasm repeatedly. It's terrible, and breaks my heart.

We've taken him a number of times to an avian vet, and have run tests for psittacosis, and heavy metals, we've done his bloodwork to look at organ enzyme function. He's had courses of antibiotics and antifungals. So far everything has turned up negative. The vet basically concluded that it may be epilepsy, or it may be a viral infection that causes these spasms.

He gave us a prescription for phenobarbitol, and I've been giving it to Zhora for the past two weeks. So far it has been allowing him to sleep through the night. But lastnight he managed to spit out some of his medicine before bed, and then woke me up with a seizure like before at 2am. It went for half an hour, and then he managed to get back to sleep, but I didn't, just worrying that maybe the medicine is wearing off, or becoming less effective over time. Hopefully he'll have a better night tonight after a proper does, but I don't want him to have to be medicated his whole life.

Does anyone have experience with Ekkies doing this kind of spastic leg twitching? It's not toe-tapping, it's his whole leg spasming, and foot hitting repeatedly on the perch. He wing flips when he's having these attacks, and seems to go itchy all-over, with lots of head scratching and I would say frantic preening.

We've tried modifying his diet, and while we were running tests as per the vet's recommendations we only gave him leafy greens, and cut up veggies and a little fruit, and the vetafarm maintainance diet pellets. Since the medicine seemed to be working before we had broadened his diet to include a little more fruit, and the occasional treat of sunflower seeds (always less than 10) or a third of a spray of millet.

I really love Zhora, and want to make him as well as possible. Does anyone out there have experience with these kinds of seizures? Good news? Bad news? I just don't understand what's going on with him, and am scared it's going to get worse.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Lilly

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@EkkieLuv
I hoped that maybe you could help this person.

@Tigerlilly - I don't know much about ekkies, but I do know that birds will built a tolerance to phenobarbitol over time. When my Hank, a GW male, had seizures they weren't at all like you describe your bird's incidents.

Welcome to AA and I'm sure others will be along to help you out.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks for tagging me @Hankmacaw - sorry I'm just now seeing this. What a strange thing to happen so routinely in the middle of the night. Has he been toe-tapping and/or wing flipping at all through the day? Maybe it's annoying him in the night or startling him awake? Sounds like you've tested for a lot and having no luck there. My gut instinct would be to eliminate the pellets completely and any other food that is fortified or artificially colored. TT/WF can often be attributed to fortified foods in ekkies so it is definitely worth a try. There are plenty of fresh foods you can give him that would not cause a problem. If you need better suggestions I will find my past posts on diet and paste them here. Just let me know.

I have not experienced TT/WF due to food intolerance personally... but have had it happen due to injury. I know what it's like to sit up half the night soothing a frustrated ekkie.

I would agree that I wouldn't want him to be medicated forever. Eliminating common food sources of TT/WF is an easy thing to do in comparison to more testing and medicating! Here to help with whatever questions I can answer!! I'll try to check in more often!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
@Tigerlilly How are things going? Any changes or updates?? I'm leaving Saturday for 2 weeks out of the country... so was hoping to hear how he's doing. But I'll try to check in from abroad!

jakeryan8

Real Name
Jake
Hello i am aware this threat is 4 years old, but my Eclectus has just started experiencing the exact same thing as the original poster. @Tigerlilly Could you please message me or reply to this forum. I really want to know the follow up of what ended up happening with your bird.

Konabird1

Hello i am aware this threat is 4 years old, but my Eclectus has just started experiencing the exact same thing as the original poster. @Tigerlilly Could you please message me or reply to this forum. I really want to know the follow up of what ended up happening with your bird.
I am also aware this is old but I’m having the same issue and the vet is not able to figure out what it is. Can either of you message me or update the thread? What was the problem and what was the solution? It’s horrible watching her suffer through these episodes. Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am also aware this is old but I’m having the same issue and the vet is not able to figure out what it is. Can either of you message me or update the thread? What was the problem and what was the solution? It’s horrible watching her suffer through these episodes. Thank you!
The member you quoted has not been back since making that post and the same goes for the OP.

This was the only help received on this thread...
Thanks for tagging me @Hankmacaw - sorry I'm just now seeing this. What a strange thing to happen so routinely in the middle of the night. Has he been toe-tapping and/or wing flipping at all through the day? Maybe it's annoying him in the night or startling him awake? Sounds like you've tested for a lot and having no luck there. My gut instinct would be to eliminate the pellets completely and any other food that is fortified or artificially colored. TT/WF can often be attributed to fortified foods in ekkies so it is definitely worth a try. There are plenty of fresh foods you can give him that would not cause a problem. If you need better suggestions I will find my past posts on diet and paste them here. Just let me know.

I have not experienced TT/WF due to food intolerance personally... but have had it happen due to injury. I know what it's like to sit up half the night soothing a frustrated ekkie.

I would agree that I wouldn't want him to be medicated forever. Eliminating common food sources of TT/WF is an easy thing to do in comparison to more testing and medicating! Here to help with whatever questions I can answer!! I'll try to check in more often!

If you post your own question to your own new thread you may have much better luck getting help/information.

@Miss Annamarie may be able to offer some help or tag other Ekkie owners that they know of.