• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeing colors?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
How can I tell if Kai is able to see colors?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well birds see more colors than humans can. I don't know if there is a way to determine easily if your bird is colorblind if that's your question. Even if she was, she would still likely see something. My husband is colorblind but that doesn't mean he can't see colors. They just get confusedin his brain.

Monochromatic vision is extremely rare in humans, and all animals can see limited color.

Birds do need full spectrum light though to see all of the range of colors available to them

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Why are you worried he can't see colour?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Well birds see more colors than humans can. I don't know if there is a way to determine easily if your bird is colorblind if that's your question. Even if she was, she would still likely see something. My husband is colorblind but that doesn't mean he can't see colors. They just get confusedin his brain.

Monochromatic vision is extremely rare in humans, and all animals can see limited color.

Birds do need full spectrum light though to see all of the range of colors available to them
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if Kai is actually seeing colors or not.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Birds have Epic colour vision :)

This video may help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds have excellent color vision. In fact some birds can learn color words and correctly name the colors of objects when shown to them. Some birds will show fear of specific colors. My sparrow, Spee, is afraid of things that are red.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Birds also evaluate health and sex appeal via UV, it is really amazing. Chickens can tell nourishment requirements their chicks need by subtle changes that they can detect under UV light. Chickens will then instruct their chicks to eat elements that help them. :xflove:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Thank you for your reply.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Why are you worried he can't see colour?
I am not worried. I was reading a post regarding a Parrotlet’s reaction to the color red. I was just wondering how I might be able to tell if Kai sees colors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not worried. I was reading a post regarding a Parrotlet’s reaction to the color red. I was just wondering how I might be able to tell if Kai sees colors.

Some species of parrots have red or yellow feathers that only are visible when the wings are stretched. It's an easy way for a bird who sees danger to alert the rest of the flock quickly.

In general, Red and yellow are used in the animal kingdom for warnings, false or not.

That being said, I've not had a bird in my care yet that reacts to these colors.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Birds have excellent color vision. In fact some birds can learn color words and correctly name the colors of objects when shown to them. Some birds will show fear of specific colors. My sparrow, Spee, is afraid of things that are red.
Wow. Amazing that some birds can name the colors of objects. I have read that sometimes a bird will respond to a certain color. Thank you for your reply.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Birds also evaluate health and sex appeal via UV, it is really amazing. Chickens can tell nourishment requirements their chicks need by subtle changes that they can detect under UV light. Chickens will then instruct their chicks to eat elements that help them. :xflove:
Thanks for your reply. Amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Some species of parrots have red or yellow feathers that only are visible when the wings are stretched. It's an easy way for a bird who sees danger to alert the rest of the flock quickly.

In general, Red and yellow are used in the animal kingdom for warnings, false or not.

That being said, I've not had a bird in my care yet that reacts to these colors.
Very interesting. I’ve heard of a few situations where a bird has reacted to the color red. That is what made me post my question. Thank you for sharing.