• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeds for Kai

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have two grandsons with severe peanut and tree nut allergies. In order for them to be able to interact with Kai I am trying to combine a mixture of seeds that contain no nuts as my daughters are afraid (among other reasons) that when the bird preens itself it may spread peanut oil to it’s feathers. I have found HAGEN Pigeon and Dove seed and Vitakraft (VITaSMART) parakeet food contain no peanuts or tree nuts and am thinking of combining the two. I’m not concerned about the Parakeet food but want to know if anyone knows if there is anything unsafe for my Parrotlet in the Pigeon and Dove seeds?
upload_2019-2-5_13-29-19.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are there any pellet foods avail. with no nuts?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are quite a few stores online where you can buy individual types of seeds to mix together yourself. That way you will know that there are no nuts in the mix.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
There are quite a few stores online where you can buy individual types of seeds to mix together yourself. That way you will know that there are no nuts in the mix.
Thank you. I was able to find two different name brand mixes of birdseeds in a pet shop that have no nuts in them. I am not concerned about the parakeet seeds but I was wondering if all the ingredients in the pigeon and dove seeds are safe for a Parrotlet. I posted the ingredients of the pigeon seeds to see if anyone recognized anything dangerous before I give it to Kai.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Are there any pellet foods avail. with no nuts?
Wow, never thought about checking pellet ingredients for nuts. Kai was weened to pellets and was on pellets when I purchased him. He gets about a teaspoon of the Parakeet seeds by hand every other day but I would like to a
give him more of a variety of seeds. I found the Pigeon seeds with no nuts but don’t recognize some of the other ingredients and want to make sure they are safe for a Parrotlet. I posted the ingredients hoping someone would know. Both my grandsons have handled the bird since I've had him and thankfully no problem. After I read your comment I immediately checked the ingredients in the pellets and I am happy to say there are no nuts listed.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Does it contain grit? Based on some of the ingredients at the end, it seems like it does. I wouldn’t give it to him if so. You can always just make your own mix. I do this with millet, flax seed, hemp seed, milk thistle seed and probably something else I’m forgetting. I also mix dry dandelion leaves and camomile in. Works out way cheaper than buying a mix.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Does it contain grit? Based on some of the ingredients at the end, it seems like it does. I wouldn’t give it to him if so. You can always just make your own mix. I do this with millet, flax seed, hemp seed, milk thistle seed and probably something else I’m forgetting. I also mix dry dandelion leaves and camomile in. Works out way cheaper than buying a mix.
Thank you for your reply. I called the company and the lady I spoke with said the grit is digestible. I think I will take your advice and pass on getting this bag of seeds. If you don’t mind my asking where do you get your seeds? I am looking for a pet store that sells individual seeds but so far have only found mixes.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Grit can lead to impacted crops in captive birds, so I wouldn’t trust what the company is telling you. I live in Australia, so I’m not sure where I buy my seeds from will be helpful to you.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Grit can lead to impacted crops in captive birds, so I wouldn’t trust what the company is telling you. I live in Australia, so I’m not sure where I buy my seeds from will be helpful to you.
Wow, Australia! I’m live in New York. No, the stores you shop out would not be helpful to me. LOL!!! But, your reply definitely was and I will take your advice and stay clear. Your Lovebirds are beautiful. Thank you again for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've never seen my birds eat and preen at the same time, they don't preen with their beak full of seeds so I'd say the risk is minimal of your grandsons reacting to handling the bird. Now if they react to having nuts in the room, and would start to want to feed him or play with the seeds, that's another story.
My parrotlet gets Prestige Loro Parque seeds, this is the content: Yellow millet, White millet, Canary seed, Striped sunflower seeds, Peeled oats, Safflower, Red millet, Buckwheat, Hempseed, Linseed, Paddy rice, White sunflower seeds, Wheat, Japanese millet, Niger seed, V.A.M. pellets, Oystershells

upload_2019-2-7_9-57-55.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I never thought about the risks of human nut allergies and birds. This is an important consideration.

If you do go with pellet, do your research. There is a suggestion that mutated parrotlets can have complications from pellet. Mutations include all the little blue parrotlets. They can get a uric acid build up that will cause kidney and liver problems, resulting in a shortened life. If you decide to go with pellet try to go with one specifically formulated for parrotlets. Personally I use fresh veggies, grains, sprouts and fruit in the morning. I feed a quality seed mix in the evening. Making their meals does take more work and time than a pellet, but I don't mind. I also offer oyster shells that are finely ground. Grit is a non descriptive word for tiny particles, so use caution if it is not specific.

I do feed tree nuts from time to time, such as almond and pine nuts, so thank you for your question. I will now inform my friends with nut allergies to use caution around my birds.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I've never seen my birds eat and preen at the same time, they don't preen with their beak full of seeds so I'd say the risk is minimal of your grandsons reacting to handling the bird. Now if they react to having nuts in the room, and would start to want to feed him or play with the seeds, that's another story.
My parrotlet gets Prestige Loro Parque seeds, this is the content: Yellow millet, White millet, Canary seed, Striped sunflower seeds, Peeled oats, Safflower, Red millet, Buckwheat, Hempseed, Linseed, Paddy rice, White sunflower seeds, Wheat, Japanese millet, Niger seed, V.A.M. pellets, Oystershells

View attachment 295956
Thank you so much for your reply. I do know that birds don’t eat and preen at the same time. My concern was that the oil from the peanuts or tree nuts might remain in Kai’s system and be transmitted to the feathers while preening through the Kai’s saliva. Also, cleaning it’s beak on branches in his cage might transmit nut oils to Kai’s feet and wings which could easily be transmitted to my grandsons. I never feed seeds in Kai’s cage as a precaution for that reason. Both boys have severe reactions to peanuts and tree nuts. I can’t take any chances. I have found a good mixture with no nuts but would also like to try what you use. Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I never thought about the risks of human nut allergies and birds. This is an important consideration.

If you do go with pellet, do your research. There is a suggestion that mutated parrotlets can have complications from pellet. Mutations include all the little blue parrotlets. They can get a uric acid build up that will cause kidney and liver problems, resulting in a shortened life. If you decide to go with pellet try to go with one specifically formulated for parrotlets. Personally I use fresh veggies, grains, sprouts and fruit in the morning. I feed a quality seed mix in the evening. Making their meals does take more work and time than a pellet, but I don't mind. I also offer oyster shells that are finely ground. Grit is a non descriptive word for tiny particles, so use caution if it is not specific.

I do feed tree nuts from time to time, such as almond and pine nuts, so thank you for your question. I will now inform my friends with nut allergies to use caution around my birds.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am happy to say that all appears to be going well. Kai is on Roudybush Pellets. He also gets fresh fruits and veggies, rice, sweet potatoes, etc. along with a tablespoon every two to three days of a a self mixture of seeds containing no nuts. So far he is thriving and appears very happy. My grandsons are crazy about him and when the visit they hand feed him his favorite foods.