• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Seed caught in nostril

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Help! My bird started screaming (Not as in i want attention scream) a really scary scream that Ive only heard while he was in pain. He rubbed his wings to his face and and first i thought his wings were the problem but it was a seed or some sort of large thing in in his nose. Around the nostril it started turning red and I dont know what to do. I made him sneeze but it didnt come out, it started to move down to where i can only see the tip of the object in his nose, what should I do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Help! My bird started screaming (Not as in i want attention scream) a really scary scream that Ive only heard while he was in pain. He rubbed his wings to his face and and first i thought his wings were the problem but it was a seed or some sort of large thing in in his nose. Around the nostril it started turning red and I dont know what to do. I made him sneeze but it didnt come out, it started to move down to where i can only see the tip of the object in his nose, what should I do?
It will need to be taken out (possibly flushed) by your vet. Get on the phone and make an urgent call.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Update: He stopped screaming, Im still going to take him to get it out so no infections will take place

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Update: My parents will not take me to the vet unless it doesnt come out tonight, we might try flushing his nose with saline, but im against it and im trying to get them to take him to the vet.

Last edited:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Can you post a picture? Are you absolutely sure that there's something in there? How does one side compare to the other?

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
I can, but the quality isnt that great let me get him to stop moving LOL

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I think I see it. Birds have a normal structure in their nose called the operculum that can sometimes look like something in their nose.

I know you've spoken with your parents, but please don't put anything in your tiel's nose without consulting a vet first. You could cause him to aspirate and that would make things a lot worse.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had my birds get "stuff" stuck in their nares. Sometimes I can remove the item but other times they just need to go to the vet to have it taken care of. Hope that the seed particle will come out of your bird's nare but if not then going to the vet is the best thing to do.

For example, I used to use walnut shell bedding and Casey got a walnut particle stuck in his nare twice. The first time it happened I was able to get it out with a round end toothpick (I would not recommend doing that, though.) The second time I took him to the vet. After that no more walnut shell bedding.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Thanks! Ill keep you posted on what happens. Before I saw your post, we flushed out his nose and the seed is loose, Im making an appointment to check up and get the seed out tomorrow.
He did stress vomit, but he is returning to his normal sassy self which is a good sign. The nostril however is a little red

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How did you flush his nose? Did you turn him upside down while you did it to prevent aspiration?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One of my budgies had something in one nostril and the vet gave my antibiotic eye drops to be instilled in the nostrils. Please never try to flush a birds nose/respiratory track by yourself again. Aspiration is a bad thing and it leads to pneumonia.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nasal flushes absolutely can be done at home, but they require proper training by a vet first. It's not hard, but it has to be done right.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Having worked in the vet field I wouldn't tell the average person to flush a birds nose by themselves. I wouldn't even train a client to do it on a patient the first time around. I'd have to know that person had some medical knowledge or maybe as a complete last resort. I've just seen so very many animals that aspirate or even get infections because the flush was only partially successful.
I understand the difficulty of trying to get parents to take vet care seriously though. When I was around 15 my rat had a respiratory infection. I begged my dad like crazy and he finally took the rat in, but when we got the $275 bill he was less than happy.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Alright: Update.
How did you flush his nose? Did you turn him upside down while you did it to prevent aspiration?
We did hold him upside down. During the entire time we had my grandfather (who is a very skilled vet) on the phone. Im never planning to do it again since my moms a nurse and she did it herself. We are heading to the vet today for a daily check up and seeing if we can get the seed out.

He just started preening his wings and he started screaming loudly, im not sure if hes rubbing his nose against his wing or if its a rash, but at this point im gonna calm him down and let the vet check it out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Motherof'tiels its nice for us to get some feedback from you on the status of the bird.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Alright: Update.

We did hold him upside down. During the entire time we had my grandfather (who is a very skilled vet) on the phone. Im never planning to do it again since my moms a nurse and she did it herself. We are heading to the vet today for a daily check up and seeing if we can get the seed out.

He just started preening his wings and he started screaming loudly, im not sure if hes rubbing his nose against his wing or if its a rash, but at this point im gonna calm him down and let the vet check it out.
How did the vet went?