• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed addict

MorganP2468

Meeting neighbors
I’m struggling to get my African Grey to eat vegetables. He’s only six months old so I know I need to be patient. However he was eating the vegetables really well. It got to the point where he ate almost everything I put in his bowl. Then I introduced pomegranate seeds to him and now that’s all he will eat. He will not eat anything else besides apples and occasionally cauliflower. My question is, do I keep giving pomegranate seeds daily or do I need to cut them out? Are pomegranate seeds even something he should be eating everyday? Also how do you guys break picking eating habits? Do I just continue to offer him a variety of things and hope that one day he eats it? He does eat pellets and mostly a seed mix, which I’m trying to break him of that too. He won’t eat sprouts either.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I feel your pain. My Meyers is SUPER picky. It's taken me a LONG time to get her to try different foods, and even now it's not a huge variety. :bash: Fruit in general should probably be fed less often. Veggies, greens, grains and herbs can be daily. The key is to keep trying. Offer a variety of things in a variety of ways...in chunks and cut in tiny pieces.
Offer it alone or mixed with other foods (chop). I've also sprinkled a few favorite seeds on top of a bowl of veggies to lure them in. :lol: You could also mix his beloved pomegranate seeds into a bowl of other veggies. At least he'd have to touch the other foods to get to them. It's a start. He's young, like you said, so he'll probably get better about it. Have you tried pretending to eat it yourself in front of him? I do that too. This article I wrote about it has some more good ideas you could try. Good luck and let us know how he's doing!!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I view fruit as a treat food.
Veggies are a staple in the birds diet, except Lori's.
Just offer the veggies till eats them readily, add fruits occassionally, as a Treat.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I add a 1/4 teaspoon of pomegranate juice to Tinkers veggies in the morning most days and serve it all at room temp. I also do the same with his pellets around supper time as he likes them softened up a bit.
He also likes hot pepper cores other times in his veggie dish.