• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Secret WCP

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Sherman's goal seems to act in secret... everything! Not only have I never had a Pionus before, I've never had a bird try so hard to be secret!!! :wasntme:

Her forage basket would magically get spread on the bottom of her cage. The bells on her toy jingle in my nearby absence. Her toy's wood is obviously chewed on. She would fall everynight, then in the morning be on the lowest perch. :imok:

Apparently, she doesn't think these things get seen. One funny response was from @Garet who said, "She's obviously practicing her ninja skills." Then @BirdManDan said, " Maybe she thinks she has Dumbledore's Cloak of Invisibility that he gaveto Harry Potter."

Now this evening, her swing's wood looked chewed on. Closer inspection showed that the rope (It's diameter is over 1.5"!) had been chewed on, too! :embarassed:

I'm really proud of her risk taking, but at the same time saddened that she doesn't feel trust for humans. Is this just typical Pionus behavior? :what:

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I have had my BH for 15 years. We are very bonded. She is my only bird and I her only human. She tends to be quite independent. I have learned to respect that and let her do things her way unless I deem it dangerous. She goes in the shower with me everyday, but only decides to get wet maybe once every week or two. I don't force her. She plays when she wants and naps when she wants. Sometimes she wants to be with me and calls for me, and other times I go to her and she just isn't in the mood for company. She loves her head scratches, but only when she is in the mood. She doesn't bite, she only moves away from me if she wants to be left alone.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have had my BH for 15 years. We are very bonded. She is my only bird and I her only human. She tends to be quite independent. I have learned to respect that and let her do things her way unless I deem it dangerous. She goes in the shower with me everyday, but only decides to get wet maybe once every week or two. I don't force her. She plays when she wants and naps when she wants. Sometimes she wants to be with me and calls for me, and other times I go to her and she just isn't in the mood for company. She loves her head scratches, but only when she is in the mood. She doesn't bite, she only moves away from me if she wants to be left alone.
That is describing a Pionus very well! :)
She doesn't bite, she only moves away from me if she wants to be left alone.
I think that is part because you respect her. And mine is the same.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If I was a bird I think I would be a pionus...We seem to share alot in common.

Pennyneeded a home & I was inexplicably drawn to her...

If it were not for Penny I would be out for a bronze wing.. But Penny is my soul bird & we just meld in mysterious ways. I think she was meant to be with me since she hatched 4/6/97 but we took the long road to be together. Still today is what counts. Yesterdays hold no ground & tomorrow no promise!

penny is pretty easy to read. Shes very stable & grounded. Not afraid of much. I've really neer seen her afraid! Shes cute & smart & has a great sense of humor. Such a JOY!!!!

Last edited:

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
Kody is exactly like this too. Although I wouldn't say he's totally bonded to us at this point, he really loves my husband. He hates my fingers but thinks I'm better at head scratches so he'll ask for one and then I'm allowed to touch him. Otherwise he doesn't want to see my hands. Even though he prefers my husband he's still weirdly attached to me. He'll sit on his own all day, but if I leave the room he calls me and gets upset. So even though he's super independent and it would seem he isn't concerned what we're doing...he is totally watching us at all times!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
He'll sit on his own all day, but if I leave the room he calls me and gets upset. So even though he's super independent and it would seem he isn't concerned what we're doing...he is totally watching us at all times!
That describes Sherman so well! It took me a while to get used to being watched then called back just to be watched some more. I was so afraid this was abnormal. No bird has ever been this way for me. It's great to learn that is normal behavior and others deal with it, too!

Like I tried to explain to my daughter who only gets breeder babies, mature birds are often harder because before training, you must "untrain" them. Many have been hurt by humans and you have to let them learn that self- respect is okay... actually good. They've spent years learning to fear humans and you get to help them learn to trust, again.

To make matters worse, I'd never had a WCP before and had NO idea what to do or expect. Even crazier, I was lied to about her history. Everything happened so fast. There was no time for research and no learning curve. One day, I suddenly lived with a WCP.

The members here have really helped! I'd spent time as a guest reading then suddenly joined because of Sherman. Poor baby, both of us are learning about one another at the same time. Every bit of information is SO important to both of us!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
we just meld in mysterious ways. I think she was meant to be with me since she hatched 4/6/97 but we took the long road to be together. Still today is what counts. Yesterdays hold no ground & tomorrow no promise!
That describes Sherman's and my relationship so well. I think we really just needed each other in unexplainable ways. Friends don't understand how of all my TOO MANY birds (in their eyes), she's totally stolen my heart.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds exactly like Ernie. Or should I say, my left shoulder epaulet.

He suddenly started beak grinding a few days ago and hasn't stopped. You never know with these ninja pi's!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
He suddenly started beak grinding a few days ago and hasn't stopped. You never know with these ninja pi's!
beak grinding (or music) was the only way I knew she didn't totally hate me! :spinlol: I even wrote that her "cage cleaning" lunge at me was a thrill because it meant she knew I existed!:bliss:
:rpg3: Sherman's the best ninja ever!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha, my pi is broken! Leia loves playing with her toys for an audience - in fact, I worry she doesn't play if I'm not in the room with her.

Otherwise, yes, she's pretty independent, likes to be involved with whatever I'm doing and adores headscratches. She's not a cuddler but does like to be on my shoulder or knee while I'm at the computer. She's started to doze off on my shoulder in the evenings which is really cute.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww TKA if you like I can ship Ernie over to teach Leia how to be a proper Ninja Pi! He will probably also show her to open her beak REALLY wide and fake attack anyone who moves. And other birds. And to watch tv two hours past bedtime.

Because, well. He's Ernie.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly, Leia has no need for lessons in staying up hours after her bedtime - whenever she has to be looked after by someone else, I get a despairing phonecall Quite Some Time after she's meant to have gone to bed! She's also got fake attacking down :evilgrin:

Some sneaky Ninja Pi moves would be fun. In return, how does Ernie feel about beak wrestling? It combines nicely with fake attacking to keep your humans on their toes!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly, Leia has no need for lessons in staying up hours after her bedtime - whenever she has to be looked after by someone else, I get a despairing phonecall Quite Some Time after she's meant to have gone to bed! She's also got fake attacking down :evilgrin:

Some sneaky Ninja Pi moves would be fun. In return, how does Ernie feel about beak wrestling? It combines nicely with fake attacking to keep your humans on their toes!
I think Ernie would enjoy beak wrestling! LOL These Ninjas have o stick together.

That’s so funny - she plays games on your unsuspecting carers!