• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second Generation Hy hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone know if they exist? I was kind of hoping that that the first generation crosses would prove infertile. I searched a few years ago and came up with nothing. Wondering if anyone has had success with getting live offspring out of them? Just curious.
Melissa

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I believe there is one person on our forum with an Emerald, which is a mix of a Hy with... something very green? :confused: I can't remember exactly.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen emerald macaws around. Very beautiful birds. I went to the hybrid website and there was a bird at the very bottom that looked like it might be a 2nd gen hy hybrid, but not confirmed. Some of the more resourceful people here have come up with hybrid pictures and mutation pictures that I've never seen so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything confirmed beyond just rumors. Being as they are different genera I've always wondered if it was even possible to cross 2 emeralds and get babies. And if so, do any of the chicks look close enough to the original parents to cause potential problems down the road keeping the lines pure. I would doubt it, but I've seen blue and golds that other than a pale beak strip look pure.
Melissa

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
I have never seen any or heard of them either... this will be an interesting thread!!

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
an emerald is I believe a buffons and a hy? that would be a first generation. so a second generation would be taking that hybrid and trying to cross it to something else. I would never ever hope to see this in my life time. JMHO.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
WOW...the Caloshua is absolutely STUNNING, has my favorite bits of B&G and Hy! I didn't know those even existed!

Very neat thread, taught me something new, thanks guys! :dance4:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't imagine why you would not be able to have second generation hybrids with Hy's. I just don't imagine too many breeders would want to considering a baby hy sells for $8000 or more. A hy hybrid sells for less than $1800. The only way doing that makes any sense to me is that the hybrid will probably wean faster and is more affordable for most people so has a better chance of selling quickly. But for a couple extra months of working with a pure hy the profit margin would be large enough that even if the breeder sold it at half the going price, the pure bred would still be a better option for them.

There's an aviary in Florida that does a lot of macaw hybrids including a couple from hy's. Beautiful Hand Fed Baby Birds For Sale Parrots, Macaws, African Greys, Cockatoos Just from looking at their site they make me think if anyone knows they would. You could contact them and ask.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have an Emerald, cross between a Hy and Buffons. Maxi who is a first generation macaw, she is also in my avatar. I don't have any knowledge of a second generation Hy. Maxi Macaw.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maxi is beautiful!

As for second generation, if you mean crossing a hybrid with a hy then yes they exist. If you mean breeding a hybrid that already has hy blood with another bird then they do not exist. The offspring of hyacinths and ara macaws are sterile.

Matt

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Maxi is beautiful!

As for second generation, if you mean crossing a hybrid with a hy then yes they exist. If you mean breeding a hybrid that already has hy blood with another bird then they do not exist. The offspring of hyacinths and ara macaws are sterile.

Matt
I was sorta thinking the same thing but was not definite on it... Considering how people like to mess with things I think by now if it could occur we would have already seen images of the chicks produced. It still surprises me that the two genus can create offspring...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Maxi is beautiful!

Matt
Wow! Thanks Matt! You're full of helpful information! So, if I understand correctly, any hybrid that has Hy in it will not be able to reproduce then?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Correct. A hyacinth and lear's hybrid may be able to but hopefully one will never be bred.

Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Matt
I hate to correct you, but that information is false. You are correct in saying that there are 2nd generation hybrids compromising of Hyacinth X Non-Hyacinth Hybrid, but you are incorrect in the Hyacinth Hybrid X (insert pure or hybrid).

Wow! Thanks Matt! You're full of helpful information! So, if I understand correctly, any hybrid that has Hy in it will not be able to reproduce then?
As previously mentioned, it is possible.

As far as we know, Emerald Macaws are infertile. I have only heard of one breeder that had an emerald macaw pair, however unfortunately, he lost his entire aviary to Pacheco's disease prior to the pair having a chance to try and reproduce.

I have seen pictures of a confirmed Hyacinth x Harlequin (looks similar to a Hyacinth x B&G, but the colors are muddier, so to speak), and may have pictures of Hyacinth x (insert hybrid - unconfirmed if hybrid or pure species).

Hyacinth x Scarlet Macaw Hybrid | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hyacinth x Greenwing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And following are Hyacinth x Catalina siblings (you can tell which species each one took after) that *did* reproduce with one chick (aka 2nd generation), although unfortunately, that chick did not survive. There's also a picture of a "Hyalina" bred back to a Catalina. (aka at least 3rd generation hybrid, 2nd generation hyacinth hybrid)
Flickr: Search Hybrid Parrots

Sorry guys!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well that answers that then. Thanks Monica. You were the one I was thinking might be able to come up with the answer. Bummer. I was hoping the original pure species cross would prove infertile. Thereby reducing the motivation to keep trying it.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.