• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second bird with Cockatiel?

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Okay...here is my problem. I rescued a 2 year old female cockatiel 3 months ago. She is doing pretty good, I can get her on my finger and she actually wants to be around me. I decided to get a male and I believe it may be 4 years old. They seem to get along being able to get close in the cage and no signs of aggression. So here is the problem....Bandit (my male) will whistle a tune. I’m not sure if it is a mating call or just a variety of things he has learned. Pretty Bird (my female) will immediately take off as soon as he starts whistling. If she is in the cage and it is open she will “run” lol to get as far away from him as possible. If the cage is closed, she will “run” to the opposite corner. I have thought she is scared of him because she has never been around another bird, let alone a male. Any suggestions or ideas on what’s going on and how long this will continue?

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh my I have no idea on that one. It might be that it's scares her coz she not used to sounds like that

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Thank you Spirit Warrior for your concern, I do think she is scared of him also. Just wondering how to deal with it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you