• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second bird with Cockatiel?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hi Everyone!
I currently have Lychee, my 8 month old male Cockatiel. I would like to get a second bird, but not sure what type!

I do not expect the two birds to interact, they will have separate cages but be caged in the same room.

I’d like something small to medium size and am really hoping to find a more cuddly type bird! I realize it has a lot to do with personality and not the species, but also that some species are more cuddly.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
If a tiel is not cuddly I'm a little lost! I hope you find exactly what you are looking for. I knkow Lychee will like having another bird to sing to. :smuggrin:
Haha he’s not cuddly, but LOVES to be out on my shoulder. I think it has to do with his upbringing, hopefully he’ll eventually turn into a cuddly bird.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I find it hard to rate species on the "cuddly" scale. You can get stories of the same species being cuddly and others of the same species that aren't. IRNs, for example...they are notorious for being a non-cuddly species...yet I've heard of a few -here on the Avenue-that are quite cuddly.

Tiels are known as a cuddly species...yet I have three of them with different "cuddle quotients"...Sunshine will cuddle all day long....Igor cuddles on his own schedule, and will leave when he's had enough...and Mocha detests everybody!

So, all in all, I really can't help you much...;)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would suggest another cockatiel. They are flock birds - although there is no guarantee that they will get along - I think they enjoy the company of each other. I have 5 - and only 2 would I consider to be "cuddly" - my female and one of my 4 males.

Holly21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Deana
I was asking the same question on here a couple of weeks ago, I decided to by another tiel and his name is Waldo. Before I bought Waldo I rescued a tiel and named her Holly, She was a Christmas gift so I kept it Christmas themed, she wanted nothing to do with me until I got Waldo, now she is eating millet from my hand, sitting on my shoulder, flying to me from her cage, allowing me to scratch her, and most of all cuddle up under my neck... What I believe happened was she secretly liked me and when I started holding Waldo she became jealous and obsessed with me! So I think, in my opinion, your best option would be another tiel...

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
My experience with with my 10 year old cockatiel,Woody, is this. He loved his budgie's. His first budgie lived in his cage. When his budgie died he screamed for two days straight until I got him another budgie. This one lived in a cage right beside him but not in the same cage. When that budgie passed away he didn't scream like when his first budgie died so I decided not to replace his budgie. Now 2 years later I have decided to get a lovely little Linnie and I hope eventually Woody and Kiwi will be great friends. We are dealing with quarantine right now

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
Sorry forgot to mention i would not get another cockatiel because the dander and dust that these little birds produce is crazy. One is enough for me.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Sounds like another Cockatiel might be the way to go! I’m not horribly fond of the dust, but can deal with it.

Looking into a plug in air purifier, anyone use one that works well??

Holly21

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Deana
My mother has a allergy to dust, she goes into my room all the time and never notices it...

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
My mother has a allergy to dust, she goes into my room all the time and never notices it...
I do find it everywhere in the bird room! But it doesn’t bother me. I was hoping to find some sort of air purifier to help with the dust.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
I haven't experienced a "cuddly" cockatiel yet. Squijum, my cockatiel is a nice friendly bird who gets along with everyone, but he's not cuddly. He's a shoulder bird. He doesn't like scratching or petting. (He doesn't mind me putting my nose on him though for some reason.)
My aunt's cockatiels were vicious. Maybe it was just to me and everyone else (they seemed ok with her) but I never saw their cuddly side. Just their angry hisses. lol.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I haven't experienced a "cuddly" cockatiel yet. Squijum, my cockatiel is a nice friendly bird who gets along with everyone, but he's not cuddly. He's a shoulder bird. He doesn't like scratching or petting. (He doesn't mind me putting my nose on him though for some reason.)
My aunt's cockatiels were vicious. Maybe it was just to me and everyone else (they seemed ok with her) but I never saw their cuddly side. Just their angry hisses. lol.
Your bird sounds very similar to mine! I hear a lot that Cockatiels are cuddly, but I definitely haven’t had that experience. I’m not planning to get another bird until next year, so I have lots of time to decide!

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My little tiel was very cuddly when young. He became a "teenager" and would bite and hiss at me. Now he is 6 years old and is becoming cuddly again and loves being on my shoulder too. I'm sure your tiel will learn that cuddles are awesome lol :D