• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second annual wellness check at the vet.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Cricket and Watson had a big day today. Sorry for the long post but we discussed all of their recent issues

Nails done and annual health check up.

Watson got tested for Psittacosis. He is not sick, his original owner could not produce any paper work on him despite saying he had all his "tests" so I did it just for peace of mind. I know I should have had it done at his first vet visit but I trusted she might find the paperwork or get copies. Also, with the results, I can get a certificate to bring him on campus if I want (Cricket is certified and has already come in on weekends with me) - I work in a University where this is necessary.

Both boys have put on weight. Watson was 1 1/2 yrs old and only 59g when I got him. He is now 61g (still slight for a GCC but in the normal range now). Cricket was 71g at 1 year and is now a whopping 79g :faint:

Vet says it is okay though as he had put on muscle since his wings came back and that is good.

As for Watson, his wings look fine anatomically so she sees no reason why he can't fly but suspects his past owner kept him clipped so short he never really has. :( She said his smaller size and weight are in part due to underdeveloped muscles related to flying.

I finally got Cricket's leg band removed and it was chaffing him (even though it was not tight).

As for Cricket's barbering...the vet thinks it is behavioural because it is sporadic... or could be sunflower seed or corn allergy...or displaced discomfort from the band chaffing. Bad news is Cricket seems to be over-preening Watson in places too.

We are going to eliminate sunflower seeds and corn...serve fewer carbs and watch and see. She also said to increase foraging opportunities. She does not want to do blood tests unless it gets much worse as she said it is stressful on little guys and they need all their blood. They appear to be otherwise healthy so she didn't recommend tests (I know that may be contentious but I trust her)

Other than that she said they "certainly are characters" and their bond was "enough to make your heart melt" as Watson soothed Cricket when he got nervous, by rubbing his head. They are very protective of one another. :heart:

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad the vet visit went relatively well! I hope the new diet helps with the over-preening. I love how they are so sweet to each other!:heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's always good to have the birds checked over.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Glad to hear that you had a thorough, productive vet visit. It sounds they have already come a long way since you took them in, and it's great that you and the vet seem to have formed a game plan!
Keep us posted! ;)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is a great feeling when you find out that they are healthy.