• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seamus

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It’s been a while since I’ve been here…it was a rough go for the last bit.

At our last appt with the vet for Seamus it was determined we would take him home for the last time, understanding any more procedures would just cause him pain and do no good at that point. His keratin in his beak just never stopped overgrowing and it was making the inner layers rot, which would eventually go to his brain. We did absolutely everything and then some and when his vet said that there was nothing left to do we decided to spoil him like crazy when we got home for as long as we would have with him. He spent the next month and some days getting frozen cantaloupe melon balls daily (The BEST treat if you asked him) and lots of love and sunshine.

Eventually the day came when I was doing dishes and I heard him cry. His whimpers always broke my heart. He hadn't made a single whimper prior to this since we brought him back. I ran to his room and he was gone, just that fast.
Thankfully it was the rare day my husband was home from work and we wrapped him in his favorite shemagh (because of course my husband said he’s a military macaw so he gets that as a blanket and Seamus loved to cuddle up on it) and buried him beneath our plum tree that has the best views of big sky.

He was eating and playing with his toys like normal the night before so I hope his suffering wasn’t great. It took a while for the sadness to lighten and then I was just angry at what people did to him before I got him. At the waste of it all and how hard he had to fight. Now I’ve had some time to process it and it’s easier to remember the silly Seamus that danced when he wanted treats and laid claim to everything he wanted in the macaw room (and the other macaws always let him).

A lot of people on here played a big role in giving me advice and much needed encouragement on his high need, complicated care. It means the world to me and I’m sure Seamus felt the love. :hug9: IMG_4057.jpeg
This was him being silly hanging from the door. He didn’t like swings up high but the door was always fun. IMG_4042.jpeg
And there he is snuggled up in comfy blankets, his favorite way to spend the afternoon.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just have no words. My heart absolutely broke when I saw the thread and I audible gasped. I'm just so so so very sorry. You gave him the most amazing life possible,it was beyond inspirational to see how he looked and acted when you adopted him and what all your love and care did for him and helped him blossom into the sweet boy he was always ment to be.

Please take heart in knowing that you did everything humanly possible for him and he knew he was loved beyond all reason.

You are in my thoughts and again I'm just so very sorry.

Fly high and free sweet Seamus you were so incredibly loved and will be dearly missed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry :( The avenue definitely quickly fell in love with Seamus - and with you even more for all you did for him :hug8: He couldn't have asked for a better ending to a rough start than he had with you. Thank you for sharing his journey and for just being an amazing human to him. I know there will be many tears over this loss! :sad7:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How awfully sad, I am so sorry for your loss Lisa.
He was most certainly one amazing and special boy and he did touch of a lot of hearts here thanks to you sharing him with us all. You are an angel for giving him the very best home and end of life love and care, sending you lots of hugs and loving thoughts xo

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry for your loss but sounds like he was home and happy to the end :sadhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am truly sorry for your loss. Thankyou for sharing Seamus' happy ending with us, we all cared about him and were so happy he was getting so much love and joy with you after such an awful life. You took such wonderful care of him, something he deserved all of his life. I 'm glad he was able to be pampered and loved by you right up until his last day.
I will be keeping you all in my thoughts. :sadhug:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Again I am so sorry, Lisa. Too many people believe the act of rescuing is taking in a bird that is new to them and needing a new home. That is adopting, you rescued Seamus. He was suffering at his previous home without medical attention and you took him home to fight for his life. For years you have been taking him in for monthly and sometimes weekly vet appointments trying to change his outcome. His death does not mean failure as you did completely change his life. He learned love and trust. He had a family and flock. He found favorite foods and toys. Had favorites routines and spots. You did that for him. He was living his best life with you and you made that possible. Just remember he would not want you to be sad or angry for long.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Oh Lisa I know your heart is broken at the loss of Seamus. You were his safe harbor, his place to find love and care. You need everything medically possible to give him the best life. Fly high Seamus straight over the rainbow bridge. They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m very sorry. He looked precious. :sorrow:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm so sorry for your loss. I thought about him many times.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I can't express how sorry I am for your loss. I love reading your updates. You went above and beyond to address his health issues; the last chapter of his life was the blessing he deserved.